Respraying a pistol 🔫

Andy2113
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys I’ve recent purchased a Tokyo Marui ops tatical 45 and it needs a paint job it’s already been sprayed before I purchased.  my questions are 

1. Would it be better to disassemble before spraying ?

2. Would I need to lightly sand the pistol before spraying ? 

3. Do I need to spray with primer before final colour ? 

4. How many coats ? 

5. Do you have any tips or advice ?

any info would be greatly appreciated thanks andy 👍🏻

7F38E55B-E816-46E7-B902-A66EF9623563.jpeg

Hate to say it but it looks like a tm hi-capa 4.3 slide (not sure as the pics too blury to make out any trades) slapped on some sort of clone 1911 lower. Anyways depending on what sort of look your going for will determine the start point. From what little I can make out from the pic a nice clean look will be very hard to achieve. Ah no it's a foliage warrior thought it was a fixed dust cover rail when I first looked.

Hi matey here’s a better picture 

D6D67D11-C971-4893-AFB2-D293840708F0.jpeg

6 hours ago, heroshark said:

Hate to say it but it looks like a tm hi-capa 4.3 slide (not sure as the pics too blury to make out any trades) slapped on some sort of clone 1911 lower. Anyways depending on what sort of look your going for will determine the start point. From what little I can make out from the pic a nice clean look will be very hard to achieve. Ah no it's a foliage warrior thought it was a fixed dust cover rail when I first looked.

It says Tokyo Marui on the lower part of the pistol is it a clone ?

12 hours ago, Andy2113 said:

1. Would it be better to disassemble before spraying ?

Yea, you’ll have a much easier time and better results 

2. Would I need to lightly sand the pistol before spraying ? 

Yes. You’ll also want to fully strip the old paint job off first too for best results. 

3. Do I need to spray with primer before final colour ? 

Being plastic I’m unsure on this one, someone else may be able to help 

4. How many coats ? 

Lots of thin coats, at least 3. Not too many as you’ll loose detail. 

5. Do you have any tips or advice ?

Warm and dry place to do the painting. Hang it up if possible. Wipe it down with alcohol once you’ve removed the old paint and keyed the surface. 

• Supporters

Disassemble it as far as you can go, use a toothbrush and methylated spirits to remove the old paint.   If you're thorough enough at this stage you may not even need to spray it again as the meths will remove all of the paint and return the gun to 'new' condition. 

If you do need to spray it, prime with a proper primer (I recommend Halfords grey primer) in 2 thin coats, then spray on the desired colour in not less than 3 very thin coats.  So thin that it's not opaque until the third coat goes on. 

Re the painting plastic thing, it depends on the paint. Read the instructions on the can to see what it says. But as a general rule , when I am painting bodies for RC vehicles always use a primer first even if I am using a modelling paint. Halfords plastic primer works well for me. I ususally key the plastic first with a scotch pad.

4 minutes ago, Samurai said:

If it's your first paint, don't paint the gun. Get one from poundland and experiment on that, because it'll be crap at first.

Good idea buddy cheers 👍🏻

Hi guy thanks for the advice really helped a lot I went with tan and black looks great to say it’s my first time spraying anything ! Thanks again !

3BF46C79-2044-4E55-B5E9-A13D071C26AC.jpeg

B9407F0B-A92D-4BCE-8DA5-B60B7BF58BD5.jpeg

Archived