Foam filled cases and long term storage

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Some manufacturers of firearms and airguns advise against this, as the foam can attack bluing or other metal surfaces over time.

I just wondered if this could be a problem for pot metal and even better quality alloys used in airsoft guns.

Do any of you store your gbb pistols in cases? I keep them in the cardboard boxes they came in just to be on the safe side.

• Supporters

How long are we storing for?

I have never heard of the foam attacking guns in their cases but i am aware of course that over time some foams degrade to a powder.

I have seen a TM P90 that had been stored in a fabric gun bag for over 10 years in a loft with no maintenence coming out fine.

If your really worried i would say, spray some silicon oil on to a clothe and wipe a thin layer of oil over the metal parts of the gun, then you can wrap it in greaseproof paper and then put it into the case. Your main worry isnt going to be the foam but humidity and rust so throw a few of those silica gel packs to keep the air inside dry. If you can, try shrink packing the RIFs too.

• Moderators

my TM G17 is stored in a Helikon double pistol bag not had any issues with anything, would recommend similar, even came with two silica bags ;) :) 

Archived