Remember that buzz when you just started out?

trooper2216
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

...well, that's me. 

My first game was in July last year, after years of wanting to get into airsoft. Reasons for me taking so long to start are in my first post (this being my second), and that first game didn't disappoint. Real life got in the way of getting to my second game which was April 20th this year. Tomorrow will be my third.

It's a funny thing thinking of the conversation I had with one particular guy at that first game. He warned me I could be starting my journey down the rabbit hole. Before I knew it I'd be getting a gun. Maybe two. Maybe more than two. I kind of knew what I meant - I could sense there was something about this as a hobby that I recognised from years back when I was in the UK Garrison, a Star Wars cosplay club. What was familiar was - the enjoyment of preparing for a game/event, getting new stuff, tweaking what you bought so that it was personalised and right for you, and then getting to a game/event itself and getting involved as much as you want to be. Sharing in the camaraderie and meeting like-minded people that you would otherwise never have met. This fun thing that you take seriously, without being serious. Escapism.

Each game in my airsoft journey has been an iteration. First - jeans and hired equipment. Second - camo clothing, own eye pro and a hired gun. Third - and tomorrow - adds a tac-vest, my own gun, three mid-cap mags, a speed loader, 5000 biodegradable BBs (love the planet), two batteries, a charger, a knock-off eotech, a red dot sight protector and just a tiny bit more knowledge.

I'm excited for tomorrow's game despite the forecast for rain. If anything I think it'll be all the more fun for it. How far down this rabbit hole have I gone? Not that far yet, but I'm already at the point of no return.

If you're at Ground Zero tomorrow, shoot me. I'm the one with the stormtrooper patch.

Pew pew.

-Jonathan

Yep, you're well and truly hooked, it's only downhill from here! 🤣

Weird thing is that I was talking about just this sort of thing earlier.  My wife usually goes to games with me and wanders round taking photos, she was talking to one of the site owners at the last game and apparently he was saying that he envied the new players, experiencing it all for the first time.  Getting that first rush of excitement, the exhilaration and that first inkling of a whole new vista of fun opening up to you that you never knew existed a short while ago.

Dammit, I'm getting jealous myself now! 😁

• Supporters
53 minutes ago, Philby21 said:

My wife usually goes to games with me and wanders round taking photos, she was talking to one of the site owners at the last game and apparently he was saying that he envied the new players, experiencing it all for the first time.  Getting that first rush of excitement, the exhilaration and that first inkling of a whole new vista of fun opening up to you that you never knew existed a short while ago.

Well that’s easily solved , next time you go upstairs in the house , open the bedroom window sit on the windowsill facing in to the room , then fall backwards out of the window . Fall from that hight shouldn’t kill you but you should pick up a good enough brain trauma that EVERY game day will be your first ! 👍

21 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Fall from that hight shouldn’t kill you but you should pick up a good enough brain trauma that EVERY game day will be your first !

I'm so glad my wife doesn't come on here, seeing things like this would give her ideas!! 😮

Oh, and we live in a bungalow! 😂

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Philby21 said:

Oh, and we live in a bungalow! 😂

So you my friend are shit’outa’luck then , no new days for yooooooouuuuuu ! 😂😂

You can’t go back in time and play for the first time again

(You could go into a coma and recover with total memory loss)

A more practical option is to have new experiences.

I have always longed for something new, even if it’s playing the same walkon again I can put down all my gear and pull out something different, such as sweeping through a tight game zone of cowboy & Indian villages with a giant SLR, playing with a pair of pistols, going out unarmed other than pockets full of pyro, c organising and running our own event, or marking my 10th anniversary competing in a tournament.  

My 15th year has the unusual activity of actually playing again

Pffft. About 2 years down the line it still takes a while for the adrenaline to die down.  Fairly often after somewhat intense or invoved games i tend to stuggle to sleep because im still buzzing. Last night was one such night

• Supporters
On 14/06/2019 at 21:25, trooper2216 said:

I'm the one with the stormtrooper patch.

I'd wager you weren't the only one with a Stormtrooper patch....

Welcome to never having any money ever again.

On 17/06/2019 at 10:07, Lozart said:

I'd wager you weren't the only one with a Stormtrooper patch....

Who is this? What's your operating number?

• Supporters
1 hour ago, trooper2216 said:

Who is this? What's your operating number?

aaahhh...boring conversation anyway!

Somehow resisting the urge to quote more Star Wars, I'll back up what Tommikka said instead. One of the best ways to keep things fresh and exciting is absolutely to always mix up your game play. As we all know one you've been playing a few years you inevitably start to build a small arsenal of airsoft guns. And whilst many of us have our favourites, our go to, default set up if you will. Its good to change it up and challenge yourself by going akimbo with 2 pistols for a game or running around with a £80 springer shotgun. Sure its a challenge and you wont get nearly as many kills as you might playing with your best toys, but you find you have as much if not more fun. So yeah, don't just buy guns for the sake of it, build your collection and use them. Played with your DMR last time, next game try running your shotgun and a pistol, certainly keeps it interesting.

Another way to keep it exciting...

...get a new gun for each game :D

I seem to have acquired a collection since starting out and most were second hand below £200. (L1A1 is the only one above £200)

It is fun to play with different styles of weapon from long L1A1 to short MP5, M4 to Tar21/L85 bullpup.

Archived