Sterling Airsoft - Catterick

Lokai
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Evening Gents,

I've done some searching and asked a few questions but I'm looking for a bit more specific information about Sterling Airsoft events at Catterick. I'm interested in either a combat event in September or a Themed game in October. 

As this will be my first ever milsim event, is one less hardcore than the other? 

It was mentioned that because it's Catterick you will most likely be sleeping in one of the buildings, is this definite? As I'm completely new to this what sleeping equipment do I need, just camp bed and bag? I will need to buy from scratch so ideally only the essentials would be good.

Food wise, as it's 24hours, do you need camping stove to cook on? I presume you don't carry your Bergen/rucksack all day?

Midcaps only, I presume you can reload at camp as required? Any other useful info? Comms required ? If the camp rule is MC I presume tan vest would be fine?

Thanks for the help all, hopefully after Catterick I can try some of the other events.

Edit. Just to add I will be going solo.

Andy

Haven't looked myself, but I am sure I heard that they put a kit list up on the website for the different events, so if so, that should answer most of your questions.

1 hour ago, MagpieAirsoft said:

Haven't looked myself, but I am sure I heard that they put a kit list up on the website for the different events, so if so, that should answer most of your questions.

Cheers for the reply, the kit list is generic so for Catterick it lists sleeping kit (bivi, basha etc) same as it does for events at the trees. 

I don't want to (initially) buy and take if i won't be using it. 

37 minutes ago, Lokai said:

Cheers for the reply, the kit list is generic so for Catterick it lists sleeping kit (bivi, basha etc) same as it does for events at the trees. 

I don't want to (initially) buy and take if i won't be using it. 

Fair enough, in that case drop them an email?

3 minutes ago, MagpieAirsoft said:

Fair enough, in that case drop them an email?

Tried that, got a reply but they never covered the kit questions i asked. 

There's a channel on YouTube called "The Heresy Group" who frequently attend Sterling events, I believe they have videos concerning what to bring/packing lists etc. They also seem relatively helpful so it might be possible to see what they recommend although no guarantee you'll get anything beyond the generic.

With most milsim stuff you'll be expected to bring appropriate equipment for the event in question. It might be the case you end up sleeping in a building but there's also every chance you could end up kipping outdoors, in addition to this you'll need to be fully equipped for your typical September weather conditions.

You could also do some research on what American organisers such as Milsim West (or whatever it's called) recommend, I believe they have a PDF on their main website covering equipment recommendations. Just bear in mind it's for American events so conditions may vary weather wise.

1 hour ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

There's a channel on YouTube called "The Heresy Group" who frequently attend Sterling events, I believe they have videos concerning what to bring/packing lists etc. They also seem relatively helpful so it might be possible to see what they recommend although no guarantee you'll get anything beyond the generic.

With most milsim stuff you'll be expected to bring appropriate equipment for the event in question. It might be the case you end up sleeping in a building but there's also every chance you could end up kipping outdoors, in addition to this you'll need to be fully equipped for your typical September weather conditions.

You could also do some research on what American organisers such as Milsim West (or whatever it's called) recommend, I believe they have a PDF on their main website covering equipment recommendations. Just bear in mind it's for American events so conditions may vary weather wise.

Thanks for the reply, I will check out the heresy group.

Seeing as I'm quite serious about this I think I'm going to end up buying all the camping gear anyway.

@Lokai admittedly it's something I'd love to do but I'm just unable to do so at this point in time.

I don't know about the rest of the guys here but it would be interesting to see a write up once you've completed the event giving your overall opinion on it and also what you learned in relation to kit etc.

I'm sure that there must be some milsim guys floating around on here but perhaps they've just not come across this post or are lurking in the background.

• Supporters

Combat missions are generally less involved than theme games (no ROE etc), reliable radios are absolutely recommended as you'll be completely in the dark about what's going on without them.  Tan rig is fine for both teams, clothing is what really matters, make sure you have wet and dry kit IN THE RIGHT COLOUR.  

Food wise do whatever works for you, personally I can survive on cold food for 2 days so generally just take sandwiches/flapjacks/crisps/chocolate etc.  There are no cooking facilities provided.  

You won't carry a bag all day, you won't even need to take a bergan as you'll set up your bed area and that'll be that.  Accommodation at catterick is about as good as it gets, you'll very likely be in a bunk bed with a rubberised mattress, though I would take a folding camp bed anyway, just in case. 

Sometimes it's worth taking a day sack as you may be out for a few hours, but no loose ammo is allowed to be carried so all reloading happens back at base.  

3 hours ago, jcheeseright said:

Combat missions are generally less involved than theme games (no ROE etc), reliable radios are absolutely recommended as you'll be completely in the dark about what's going on without them.  Tan rig is fine for both teams, clothing is what really matters, make sure you have wet and dry kit IN THE RIGHT COLOUR.  

Food wise do whatever works for you, personally I can survive on cold food for 2 days so generally just take sandwiches/flapjacks/crisps/chocolate etc.  There are no cooking facilities provided.  

You won't carry a bag all day, you won't even need to take a bergan as you'll set up your bed area and that'll be that.  Accommodation at catterick is about as good as it gets, you'll very likely be in a bunk bed with a rubberised mattress, though I would take a folding camp bed anyway, just in case. 

Sometimes it's worth taking a day sack as you may be out for a few hours, but no loose ammo is allowed to be carried so all reloading happens back at base.  

Perfect, thanks this is the exact info i was looking for. 

I need to get a programmable radio, currently just using the cheap Chinese 6 channel jobs. 

Also need to get some decent multicam wet gear. Best get my shopping head on and book on. 

19 minutes ago, jcheeseright said:

A Baofeng radio is more than sufficient, lots of guys use the UV5-R. As for wet weather gear, some surplus MTP goretex is cheap and effective.  Don't bother with the trousers, you won't need them. 

Thanks, will go for a UV5-R , cheap enough, and thanks for the advice, will order the surplus gortex jacket.

Archived