Recommendation for face protection

Raytd
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys I have serious issues with fogging 

I have fibromyralgia and Eds so if I start moving in the slightest I’ll sweat like a pig in the oven even mid winter and I’ve tried every spray on the market so I swapped to mesh well I feel kinda unsafe with that I’ve heard stories of bbs shattering also I struggle to see through the mesh 

are there any legit anti fog goggles ? I’ve heard of fans but skeptical if if they work and how loud ect ? Thanks 

4 hours ago, Raytd said:

Hi guys I have serious issues with fogging 

I have fibromyralgia and Eds so if I start moving in the slightest I’ll sweat like a pig in the oven even mid winter and I’ve tried every spray on the market so I swapped to mesh well I feel kinda unsafe with that I’ve heard stories of bbs shattering also I struggle to see through the mesh 

are there any legit anti fog goggles ? I’ve heard of fans but skeptical if if they work and how loud ect ? Thanks 

Try the search function bud, loads of posts on this in the Guns, Gear and Loud-out section (all the below mention anti fog and ways around it)

• Supporters

Fan goggles do work.  The noise isn't too bad.

Something else that you can do is to DIY double glaze regular or fan goggles.

eBay a sheet of 0.7mm clear PETG plastic (often listed as for doll house windows) and some 2mm or 3mm thick double sided foam tape.  Pop the polycarb lens out of the goggles, then use the goggle frame as a template to mark out the PETG. Cut the PETG out and ensure that it just fits inside the goggle frame (rather than slotting into the frame like the polycarb).  Then run a line of tape around the edge of the PETG, stick it to the inside of the polycarb lens, and you're done.

It's quick, simple, cheap and effective.

In response to original reply thank you I’ll look now sorry I’ve never used a forum before so kinda finding my feet thanks guys I’ll look at all the stuff here

3 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Fan goggles do work.  The noise isn't too bad.

Something else that you can do is to DIY double glaze regular or fan goggles.

eBay a sheet of 0.7mm clear PETG plastic (often listed as for doll house windows) and some 2mm or 3mm thick double sided foam tape.  Pop the polycarb lens out of the goggles, then use the goggle frame as a template to mark out the PETG. Cut the PETG out and ensure that it just fits inside the goggle frame (rather than slotting into the frame like the polycarb).  Then run a line of tape around the edge of the PETG, stick it to the inside of the polycarb lens, and you're done.

It's quick, simple, cheap and effective.

Huh interesting but how would that stop fogging  it sounds interesting tho I’m not a technical person so idk how 2 layers would effect it 

im tempted to try get fan goggles any recommendations on makes on amazon they all have 1* review

12 minutes ago, Raytd said:

Huh interesting but how would that stop fogging  it sounds interesting tho I’m not a technical person so idk how 2 layers would effect it 

Welcome to the forum Raytd. The 2 layers creates a thermal barrier between the cold air (outside the goggles) and the warm air (Inside the goggles next to your hot face). The fogging you get is condesation due to the heat difference at either side of the single lense. The extra layer keeps a layer of air against the outer which reduces the temp difference and in most cases completely reduces fogging.

15 minutes ago, Raytd said:

im tempted to try get fan goggles any recommendations on makes on amazon they all have 1* review

The only ones worth looking at are the makes such as Smiths 'Outside the wire' etc which are very expensive (close to £200!). The cheap ones are Amazon are absolute crude with crappy lenses and even crappier fans. I would not trust those to stop a BB as I don't think they are ANSI rated (at least the ones I looked at).

• Moderators

dont forget you also have Revision and ESS, who also do a fan google. , thy are all around the same price but I think Smiths are harder to come by, or where last time i tried

Even with a fan and thermal lens, it wont be 100%, ive tried, you still can have moisture buildup around the edges, it helps, but still not the answer. Next outing will be ESS, no foam, fan on and abbey spray and see what happens! :lol:

I seem to have better luck though with ESSV12s, no foam and fogtech wipes ;)

• Supporters

Dye i4 with rainex anti fog wipes. I’m a sweaty pig and have never fogged up with this set up.

if you don't want full face go for fan goggle, or go for a dye i5/i4 if you don't mind full face/ear protection. They are well ventilated and no gaps to worry about.  

Revision anti fog wipes helped my goggles a fair bit as well https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revision-Anti-Fog-Anti-Fog-Cloth-Wipes-Choose-Quantity-Required/292007864217?hash=item43fd066799:m:mcZ9UmOd0TxVYSehimi2Xuw

• Moderators

wipes or cloth?, wipes would be wet and cloth to me would be dry??, i cant remember what i had sent to me from Ian @ Tactical Kit now as i havent used them for a few years as have other stuff, .they look similar.... :unsure:

So the cloth works well.....as link works out to be a nice price !!! :)

I've fogged everything and tried most, even my dye i4 fogged within minutes and that's with thermal lenses.

Only ones that worked for me are the fma fan assisted goggles, I have the improved version coming as my first pair despite working great the foam is a bit firm for liking.

The improved version from what I've seen has a thicker foam lining.

Bonus is they are cheap at £20 or so, have two fan speeds and run off one aa battery.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/kr2uHX5TH

I was told about the dye i4s tempted very tempted indeed but I’m limited on funds due to being unemployed and house bound allot of the time (one of the reasons I don’t get to play much) I’m more tempted by full mesh mask then as it’s cheap and hope I don’t get get any pellet dust in the eye 😭😂

14 minutes ago, Huxley said:

I've fogged everything and tried most, even my dye i4 fogged within minutes and that's with thermal lenses.

Only ones that worked for me are the fma fan assisted goggles, I have the improved version coming as my first pair despite working great the foam is a bit firm for liking.

Bonus is they are cheap at £20 or so, have two fan speeds and run off one aa battery.

Hey thanks I may try them I saw them on amazon fo 20 quid I’m having rough times atm but eyewear is still a must 

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Huxley said:

Yup, that's what I use.  I was surprised that the fan does actually run off of a single 1.5v battery.  It won't run on a 1.2V nimh rechargeable though.  You can run it on a 3.7V 14500 li-on battery which significantly increases the fan speed, just don't keep it running longer than necessary and don't put it in the wrong way round or you can kiss goodbye to the circuitry.

OK, they're not EN rated, but the lens is polycarb and about 2m thick, and mine have taken some solid hits at point blank range.  I have no concerns about their impact resistance.

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

OK, they're not EN rated, but the lens is polycarb and about 2m thick, and mine have taken some solid hits at point blank range.  I have no concerns about their impact resistance.

100% agree , my son has used them for a good while now with no worries from me , like most on here I’ll take proper dum ass risks my self but risk my kids in any way ?

So yup I’m happy with them ! 👍

Thanks guys yeah I’m 25 and borderline dissabled so loosing my sight isn’t a risk I’m willing to take lol  

Anyone have a helmet that’s cheap they can recommend I’m going Black and Tan from my security days when I was able to still work lol just slightly more militarised We used to have tan cargo with white dress shirt black tie black vest and those who were trained / licencenced carried glocks in drop leg holsters I was just a driver haha until I fell of my motorbike displacing my lower spine and breaking my legs 😕 lol so yeah worlds shortest career because I’m a bloody thrill seeker lol

but I’m following that trend but going for a tan bdu shirt so any helmet to fit that ensemble really would be awesome

just don’t want to spend much  money atm lol

i am using king arms  oa15 I think beautiful gun and asg glock 18 😛

On 15/06/2019 at 12:47, Raytd said:

Anyone have a helmet that’s cheap they can recommend I’m going Black and Tan from my security days when I was able to still work lol just slightly more militarised We used to have tan cargo with white dress shirt black tie black vest and those who were trained / licencenced carried glocks in drop leg holsters I was just a driver haha until I fell of my motorbike displacing my lower spine and breaking my legs 😕 lol so yeah worlds shortest career because I’m a bloody thrill seeker lol

but I’m following that trend but going for a tan bdu shirt so any helmet to fit that ensemble really would be awesome

just don’t want to spend much  money atm lol

i am using king arms  oa15 I think beautiful gun and asg glock 18 😛

@Raytd I have a tan helmet you can have for free if you want it. I got it a while ago as part of a bulk buy of bits I bought. It had the chin strap missing but I have bought a replacement. It is in perfect condition and I haven't worn it. It is similar to this one https://www.socomtactical.net/clothing-and-equipment/helmets-and-headwear/oper8-fast-base-helmet-with-accessories-(tan).

If you want it, it's yours.

@RobHedley dude that’s crazy generous but I don’t like taking stuff for free I’ll happily give u some money for it ! 

@huxley I got those goggles I wore them when I took my dog for a walk over the woodland (I always walk up a sweat) and the fan is silent can’t even hear it + the anti for spray no fogging at all exempt on very edges but not noticeable 

however is a tad tight on my temples so may have to cut away the plastic and improvise some foam padding instead

On 14/06/2019 at 18:40, Huxley said:

Just bagged two, will see if they help with what I want to do!

Muchos grassy arse..

16 hours ago, Raytd said:

@RobHedley dude that’s crazy generous but I don’t like taking stuff for free I’ll happily give u some money for it ! 

I love this place!!

• Moderators

be careful of the lenses on the FMA, there were some videos of the lens denting upon being hit

but then there are others who had better results....

suggestion was to modify a smiths Optic lens to fit, but this was 2015, there may have been improvements

Thanks guys yeah the goggles come with multiple lenses and in the reviews I’ve seen people really rate them I’ll let u all know by the 13th my next skirmish how they lasted 

Archived