M4 or something else?

Sean84
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey all... Im new to airsoft but im looking for advice for future purchases, so just trying to do my homework now so im prepared....

I already own a WE Desert Warrior 4.3 GBB and i know WE are a good brand... Im looking ahead into buying a GBB M4 but everywhere i look it seems to be sold out so im guessing its a good and popular gun!? 

Is there anywhere that have them usually in stock, or do i choose another brand other than WE (although i still find them out of stock...). Or - do i choose another rifle that is a similar performing and reliable gun? 

As i say, im new to all this and so im not fully aware of popular guns/brands, and im still learning all the technical lingo so please bare with me.

Thanks!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, we do not recommend a Gas rifle as a first rifle. You will be outgunned by pretty much all Electric rifles initially. 

There are plenty of M4 Gas rifles out there, but they may not be called an M4 specifically. 

i read that electric rifles are the way to go for the competitiveness of it all - fires longer on auto etc... Its just that i really want the full on "fun" experience, and electric just doesnt seem to deliver that?

And can i ask, why would an experienced player then move on to GBB as opposed to having one as a beginner?

And what am i looking for if they arent called an m4? 

Cheers

10 minutes ago, Super64 said:

Milspec Solutions have WE M4’s in stock at the minute. 

Seen this one... looks good, and a reasonable price too i think?

https://www.milspecsolutions.co.uk/gas-blowback-rifles-and-smg-s/we-rifles-and-smg-s/we-m4-cqbr-gas-blowback-rifle-with-npas.html?limit=100

2 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

I would avoid the WE M4 like the plague though.

Whys that? Do they have problems?

2 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

TM MWS or GHK M4 is a far better option.

Yeah i was just reading about the GHK, bit pricey though. any reason?

• Supporters

WE bar the occasional pistol are not a good make at all. Their gbbrs are frankly a waste of cash. They fail all the time and the performance is spotty at best. Almost every gbbr you see getting bagged back up during gameday is a WE.

The TM MWS is honestly the best buy. Not the cheapest but the extra is money well spent as it will just work and you need to do nothing to it. The WE will cost you more in the long run fixing it and trying get the performance you want. 

The newer ones have improved but compared to their competition they are still miles behind.

Would like to defend my WE L85 here, just needs a few DIY fixes and it performs like a champ, parts don't seem to wear out much at all once you add the fixes.

But yeah my WE M4 is a piece of shit, needs work, if i can be fucked! (TM MWS is a much better option).

Do yourself a favour and at least get a combat machine AEG as a backup gun, so if ur gbbr goes tits up, you can still play.

4 minutes ago, Sean84 said:

WE guns are okay, but you have to be prepared to plough money into them. The internals will fail eventually, possibly soon, possibly later. But there are loads of upgrade parts available. You can pretty much build the gun from scratch with the amount of parts available. Tokyo Marui and GHK are by far superior products, but the price reflects that. They are more expensive. Of course, buy the time you upgrade a WE you could have bought a TM or GHK. 

As a GBB fan myself I don’t even look at electric guns, but you have to be able to maintain and repair them and understand that you will need upgrade parts. Also, you will likely be outgunned and out performed by someone with an electric gun costing a third of the price of a GBB, just because they’ll have a high cap mag with around 100 rounds against your gas mag with 30 and their gun isn’t effected by the air temperature like a GBB.

• Supporters
Just now, UKCYukarin said:

Would like to defend my WE L85 here, just needs a few DIY fixes and it performs like a champ, parts don't seem to wear out much at all once you add the fixes.

But yeah my WE M4 is a piece of shit, needs work, if i can be fucked! (MWS is a much better option).

Any gun that needs DIY fixes has no defense it just guilty of being a WE 😁

3 minutes ago, Super64 said:

WE guns are okay, but you have to be prepared to plough money into them. 

That is one of the best examples of destroying your own argument in a single sentence I have ever seen 🤣

1 minute ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Any gun that needs DIY fixes has no defense it just guilty of being a WE 😁

True, but the L85 is one of those that needs less fixes and has less failures (example, my bloody WE M4 bolt catches wear out crazy, L85 bolt catch still going strong) So if you had to go for a WE GBBR, I would say L85.

But fuck WE in general.

lol ok so generally i now need to look at other brands. Ive found this, i think its what im looking for... Other sites are listing the long barrel version but this seems to be the one im looking for, and made by TM...

https://www.defconairsoft.co.uk/product/tokyo-marui-cqb-r-block-1-gbb-with-zet-system/

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Sean84 said:

lol ok so generally i now need to look at other brands. Ive found this, i think its what im looking for... Other sites are listing the long barrel version but this seems to be the one im looking for, and made by TM...

https://www.defconairsoft.co.uk/product/tokyo-marui-cqb-r-block-1-gbb-with-zet-system/

Yep much better

Just now, ImTriggerHappy said:

Yep much better

Excellent! And not a bad price either. Not sure if im patient enough to wait for my UKARA though 😂🙈

If you have the cash, the TM or GHK are definitely the way to go. Both brilliant guns out of the box, but like all GBB you will likely need to spend money on them in time. Unlike electric guns, because you have mechanical moving parts, they can and will fail over time. TM and GHK internals will (should) last much longer than WE. YouTube is a great resource to do some research on the different GBB’s. Badabing has a number of good reviews which point out the + and - of TM and GHK. Well worth a look.

Just now, Super64 said:

If you have the cash, the TM or GHK are definitely the way to go. Both brilliant guns out of the box, but like all GBB you will likely need to spend money on them in time. Unlike electric guns, because you have mechanical moving parts, they can and will fail over time. TM and GHK internals will (should) last much longer than WE. YouTube is a great resource to do some research on the different GBB’s. Badabing has a number of good reviews which point out the + and - of TM and GHK. Well worth a look.

Ok great thanks for the info! I'll check his channel out at some point soon.
I dont mind maintenance. In a funny kinda way, i will take that as part and parcel  of owning a gun. All part of the fun! And i can use the days prior to a game to tinker and prepare! (its the mechanic in me i think 😂)

2 hours ago, Sean84 said:

Ok great thanks for the info! I'll check his channel out at some point soon.
I dont mind maintenance. In a funny kinda way, i will take that as part and parcel  of owning a gun. All part of the fun! And i can use the days prior to a game to tinker and prepare! (its the mechanic in me i think 😂)

Same here mate. The tinkering and maintaining is all part of it for me. I probably spend more time doing that than actually shooting the things.

• Supporters

Sorry if it sounds cruel but your posts come across as someone who hasn’t a clue about the subject , so unless your going to be jumping straight in to ‘themed’ or mil-sim airsofting then as a total novice with a gas primary your going to be woefully out gunned by even the newest of rental players with a shitty site rental and a hi-cap ! To put it bluntly mate your going to have an absolutely shit experience of getting hosed left right and centre when you actually start playing . You’ll be making almost as big a mistake as the noob who turns up to his first game day with a shit quality puss green L96 he bought from ‘BBgunzisbestest.com’ and thinks he’s going to own the site like he does on-line AND gets totally humiliated by a 12yr old kid with a knackered AK beta spetz held together with gaffa tape that he’s had from the site ! 🤦‍♂️

Just get yourself something like a G&G combat machine and enjoy starting out on the same level as everyone else THEN 6-8-12mths down the line think about getting a gas gun and stepping up your game . Savvy ? 😉

5 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Sorry if it sounds cruel but your posts come across as someone who hasn’t a clue about the subject , so unless your going to be jumping straight in to ‘themed’ or mil-sim airsofting then as a total novice with a gas primary your going to be woefully out gunned by even the newest of rental players with a shitty site rental and a hi-cap ! To put it bluntly mate your going to have an absolutely shit experience of getting hosed left right and centre when you actually start playing . You’ll be making almost as big a mistake as the noob who turns up to his first game day with a shit quality puss green L96 he bought from ‘BBgunzisbestest.com’ and thinks he’s going to own the site like he does on-line AND gets totally humiliated by a 12yr old kid with a knackered AK beta spetz held together with gaffa tape that he’s had from the site ! 🤦‍♂️

Just get yourself something like a G&G combat machine and enjoy starting out on the same level as everyone else THEN 6-8-12mths down the line think about getting a gas gun and stepping up your game . Savvy ? 😉

Clearly you have more experience in the whole game than I do, and I’m sure you know best. And I appreciate the brutal honesty. 

I haven’t bought this gun yet. I’m just getting ideas. I get what you mean about electric rentals will out gun me. I just don’t want to part cash with something that doesn’t give me that fun factor. 

I’m not set in my ways, I’m open to trying a few and seeing what the results are... will just have to wait and see really.

looking on the electric side then, any suggestions of elec m4’s??....

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, Sean84 said:

Clearly you have more experience in the whole game than I do, and I’m sure you know best. And I appreciate the brutal honesty. 

I haven’t bought this gun yet. I’m just getting ideas. I get what you mean about electric rentals will out gun me. I just don’t want to part cash with something that doesn’t give me that fun factor. 

I’m not set in my ways, I’m open to trying a few and seeing what the results are... will just have to wait and see really.

looking on the electric side then, any suggestions of elec m4’s??....

He is probably talking about the fact you will be restricted by running 30rnd mags as the gun itself will perform fine.

I disagree as I believe using low caps makes you learn to aim, move and think instead of just firing off a load of bbs. In the end you are a better player for it. I started out using mainly low caps and never felt outgunned or outplayed. 

Buy what you like as long as it is a decent one (not WE)

19 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

He is probably talking about the fact you will be restricted by running 30rnd mags as the gun itself will perform fine.

I disagree as I believe using low caps makes you learn to aim, move and think instead of just firing off a load of bbs. In the end you are a better player for it. I started out using mainly low caps and never felt outgunned or outplayed. 

Buy what you like as long as it is a decent one (not WE)

I agree. I’d rather not just spray and pray... I can limit myself and be more accurate. Plus changing mags adds to the experience 😁

I will have a think. I do like the mag size in elec guns but that’s it. The gas guns give me everything else. Well apart from they aren’t as cheap to run.... lol

25 minutes ago, Sean84 said:

I agree. I’d rather not just spray and pray... I can limit myself and be more accurate. Plus changing mags adds to the experience 😁

I will have a think. I do like the mag size in elec guns but that’s it. The gas guns give me everything else. Well apart from they aren’t as cheap to run.... lol

Tm recoil series. There are a few M4 choices. Gives you an approximation of gas blowback recoil, but with AEG mag capacity.  Ultra reliable and good performing gun without need for upgrades.

18 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Tm recoil series. There are a few M4 choices. Gives you an approximation of gas blowback recoil, but with AEG mag capacity.  Ultra reliable and good performing gun without need for upgrades.

Tbh, I kinda like that! It seems to fire nicely with some recoil and the noise sounds good. As the guy said tho, battery might be an issue. How long would the standard battery last? Need to have a look into what battery upgrade is possibly available... and sort a sling mount too...

• Supporters
40 minutes ago, Sean84 said:

Tbh, I kinda like that! It seems to fire nicely with some recoil and the noise sounds good. As the guy said tho, battery might be an issue. How long would the standard battery last? Need to have a look into what battery upgrade is possibly available... and sort a sling mount too...

The recoil is more of a judder and the noise when they are on your shoulder is more of a twang from the recoil spring. Other than that they are a good gun.

Your best bet is to go to a store and actually handle a few and compare them to each other.

Archived