Battery shock?

EDcase
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just came across a website discussing electrical energy which states that a current of 0.1 to 0.2 amps can be lethal.

Its the Current that kills.  Voltage is irrelevant because static electricity is thousands of volts at very low current.

Now consider a typical 2 cell LiPo which can deliver a peak burst of 2 to 2.5 amps!

While fitting a Deans I once brushed the connectors together and the sparks flew.

Have you ever heard of anyone getting a shock from a battery?

• Supporters

Voltage is not irrelevant because current = voltage / resistance.

You get high current and sparks when touching wires because there's only the resistance of the wires in the way.

The resistance of the human body is somewhere between 100,000 Ω (dry) and 1,000 Ω (sopping wet).  At 11.1V the absolute worst case is 0.01A (10 mA), and typically a lot, lot lower.

If you want to see something that you really, really should not try at home, that gave me proper flop sweat watching it:

• Supporters

Oh, I'm off now.  Consider that you can get a 12V car battery capable of delivering many hundreds of amps, clamp some charging cables onto each terminal, and hold the other metal ends safely in your hands.  But if you touch them together, they'll spot weld to each other, and pretty soon afterwards, something that wasn't on fire will be on fire.

• Head Moderator
1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

get a 12V car battery, clamp some charging cables onto each terminal, and hold the other metal ends on body parts. 

One way to make you talk

Archived