NVG Mounted normal telescopic Monoculars?

paradoxum
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm not looking for anything with FLIR or NV just a monocular (or even binos), having trouble finding any, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

• Supporters

there is, or was, a fixed magnification sight, x3 mag I think, that was a replica of a milspec nv monocular, & it could mount on a rifle or attach to a helmet mount via a J arm.

I actually own one but haven't seen it for some time, I'll have a dig through the numerous crates & ser if I can sort you a pic.

• Supporters

Only one I can remember was this one from yrs ago , is it the one you’ve got Tackle ? 

365F4DE6-B396-4FF4-A2B7-FB7A057EF618.png

What's the attachment you need generally called, a J-arm? 

Does it fit to all generic 'NVG' adapters, or do you need something else?

I'd just like to be able to pull down a monocular (or binos) and have a quick scout around the area since my SCARH is gonna just have a red dot. Does not need to have high magnification, just something to double or triple the distance.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

Only one I can remember was this one from yrs ago , is it the one you’ve got Tackle ? 

365F4DE6-B396-4FF4-A2B7-FB7A057EF618.png

Very much like that mate, mine doesn't have a laser on it. 👍

I'm impartial to it being binos, I just thought a minocular without using FLIR would look cool, spot people hiding in the brush etc.

Looks pretty nice, plastic?  Can tell the adjustment nuts are metal but rest looks plastic. Not a big deal, helm is tan with multicam cover, tan attachments, tan gun, green/multicam clothing, black 2x monocular I could fit to my attachment would be cool.

https://i.imgur.com/hVVu2Ok.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5oXJgZI.jpg

My cheapo plastic nvg mount adapter. What else would I need? I got an aluminium / plastic adapter on the way ( never liked how things feel so jiggly in the mount anyway, mainly the cam, hopefully that helps )

I don't really know what you are asking for, are you wanting a weapon mounted night vision,  helmet mounted or hand held??

Please don't waste money on a fake PVS14, they have a shitty screen inside and is not the same technology. Also if you are going for weapon mounted night vision then get a dedicated night vision scope (and not those cheap digital knock offs, you won't see for shit especially at range) that's gen2 but if you really have to gen1 should be ok for airsoft. 

Night vision is NOT cheap so be prepared to spend money.

The mount you linked is a wilcox l4 G24 and is definetely the plastic version, unless you are going to mount dummy nods on them, don't buy. Get a metal FMA one at least, and you still need a dovetail J arm (which is £200 by wilcox, no replicas from what I see) or a bayonet J arm (£40-50) with a replica wilcox bayonet to dovetail shoe to interface with the device. Also if you are head mounting, don't get a magnified night vision otherwise ur gonna have a tough time moving around with them. You have to make sure your night vision can mount onto the J arm, then the J arm has to interace with the mount and the mount has to fit onto the shroud, and shroud to helmet. So there's a lot of research that needs to be done. And from my experience, even if you get dovetail they don't always fit together.

If you want a cheap Gen1 setup that will function then I recommend the following minimum:

-Pulsar Challenger x1 Gen1 monocular (this is a good starter nod as it has the same mounts as PVS14)

-A real issued J arm (not a cheap fake one, real ones are roughly £40-50)

-A real norotos Rhino mount (an FMA one should be alright too)

-A good quality metal shroud (FMA do some good metal shrouds)

Once you have all this it should look something like this (credits to @NoobyNico)

helmet_setup2.jpg

Okay, I do not want flir or night vision at all, way too expensive, would rather buy another gun.

I'm just looking for a binocular or monocular to mount on my NVG mount on my helm for rangefinding / scouting etc. I've actually got a pair of regular binoculars which are kinda small but I doubt they'd be able to fit / mount to the NVG adapter or anything?

1 minute ago, paradoxum said:

Okay, I do not want flir or night vision at all, way too expensive, would rather buy another gun.

I'm just looking for a binocular or monocular to mount on my NVG mount on my helm for rangefinding / scouting etc.

Just get a dummy night vision then

1 minute ago, Lasbrisas17 said:

Just get a dummy night vision then

Do they have magnification of any kind? I assumed they would just be plain plastic lenses.

No they don't have magnification, they're strictly for looks. If magnification is what you want then why not just have hand held binoculars or a magnifier attached to your gun???

Are you going for looks or functionality?? doesn't make any sense, sorry.

1 hour ago, Lasbrisas17 said:

No they don't have magnification, they're strictly for looks. If magnification is what you want then why not just have hand held binoculars or a magnifier attached to your gun???

Are you going for looks or functionality?? doesn't make any sense, sorry.

I've got a pair of decent hand-helds but I figure I could stick my cam on the side of the helmet and put the monocular on the mount, both looks and functionality I guess. I'll be running a VHC SCAR-H

On 13/06/2019 at 19:34, Lasbrisas17 said:

I don't really know what you are asking for, are you wanting a weapon mounted night vision,  helmet mounted or hand held??

Please don't waste money on a fake PVS14, they have a shitty screen inside and is not the same technology. Also if you are going for weapon mounted night vision then get a dedicated night vision scope (and not those cheap digital knock offs, you won't see for shit especially at range) that's gen2 but if you really have to gen1 should be ok for airsoft. 

Night vision is NOT cheap so be prepared to spend money.

The mount you linked is a wilcox l4 G24 and is definetely the plastic version, unless you are going to mount dummy nods on them, don't buy. Get a metal FMA one at least, and you still need a dovetail J arm (which is £200 by wilcox, no replicas from what I see) or a bayonet J arm (£40-50) with a replica wilcox bayonet to dovetail shoe to interface with the device. Also if you are head mounting, don't get a magnified night vision otherwise ur gonna have a tough time moving around with them. You have to make sure your night vision can mount onto the J arm, then the J arm has to interace with the mount and the mount has to fit onto the shroud, and shroud to helmet. So there's a lot of research that needs to be done. And from my experience, even if you get dovetail they don't always fit together.

If you want a cheap Gen1 setup that will function then I recommend the following minimum:

-Pulsar Challenger x1 Gen1 monocular (this is a good starter nod as it has the same mounts as PVS14)

-A real issued J arm (not a cheap fake one, real ones are roughly £40-50)

-A real norotos Rhino mount (an FMA one should be alright too)

-A good quality metal shroud (FMA do some good metal shrouds)

Once you have all this it should look something like this (credits to @NoobyNico)

helmet_setup2.jpg

Basically I want your exact NVG setup there, except all I want it to do is act as a magnifier - seems almost impossible to find 

• Supporters

Have to say I've never personally seen such a thing - not saying that means it doesn't exist, but I've been at this a while and can't recall ever seeing one.  You can get generic hand held magnifying monoculars for very little money, same with fake PVS-14s etc, so I think the only way to get exactly what you want at this time is going to be a home brew.

Yeah I think your right. I wouldn't have thought it was that odd - if you're in a big field would it not be beneficial to pull it down and have a scout around for people hiding etc if you don't have a magnifier scope on your gun?

From what I can see I need one of these;

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

A J-Arm for the NVG mount. Plenty on ali.

And the binos are attached with just that silver screw on the side, I thought it was a clamp or something which would make things a lot easier.

Can see the mount point in one of the pics of the PVS-14.

Then a cheap rifle scope like this ? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32816045208.html?

There must be some combination of rail adapaters to get it affixed, any ideas? Perhaps the screw on the JArm could be longer and go into the rail holder bit on the clamp? Might not work with that scope I didn't look much. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32791062553.html?

Looking at this one, looks like you might be able to get away with clamping the screw down from the JArm inbeween the rail holder bits? would have to be pretty tight, or maybe it'll just go through that screw hole in the middle holding the adapter on? 

Edit: Stumbled across a whole selection of cheap monos on amazon and they seem to have a tripod mounting point which fingers crossed is the same screw size as the one on the J-Arms

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monocular-Telescope-SGODDE-Waterproof-BirdWatching/dp/B07CVDMC8Y/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zenoplige-Monocular-Smartphone-Waterproof-Adjustable/dp/B07L2S55MZ/

• Supporters

I have a video up that explains what the bits are when talking about night vision setups:

My bits look slightly different because they're from different manufacturers but the names are the same.

Creating a whole rig that is for magnification instead of NV I can't help with, personally I just use a replica ACOG or a red dot magnifier on my gun if I want magnification since I prefer not wearing a helmet unless necessary, but best of luck piecing something together.

1 minute ago, TheFull9 said:

I have a video up that explains what the bits are when talking about night vision setups:

My bits look slightly different because they're from different manufacturers but the names are the same.

Creating a whole rig that is for magnification instead of NV I can't help with, personally I just use a replica ACOG or a red dot magnifier on my gun if I want magnification since I prefer not wearing a helmet unless necessary, but best of luck piecing something together.

Thanks I'll give it a watch, but seems all I ineed is a JArm and one of those cheap monos and should be able to do it, but I think for now I'll just get a little molle pouch and put my mini handheld binos in. Scope on the side of the gun is probably the better option.

I just really don't get why you would want magnified mono/binocular attached to your helmet, why not just have it on ur gun or handheld??? What benefit does it have being on your helmet? None of those Night vision mounts are going to be compatible with any magnified scope you find, you'd have to do some DIY to get it to work but will look super janky. Also good night vision mounts aren't cheap, if you get the fake ones they break easy (I know from experience). 

Also, strapping magnified optics to your eye is a good way to get disorientated and headaches.

I highly recommend just getting fake night vision and using magnified scope (or magnifier on ur gun) or hand held binoculars.

• Supporters
49 minutes ago, Lasbrisas17 said:

I just really don't get why you would want magnified mono/binocular attached to your helmet, why not just have it on ur gun or handheld??? What benefit does it have being on your helmet? None of those Night vision mounts are going to be compatible with any magnified scope you find, you'd have to do some DIY to get it to work but will look super janky. Also good night vision mounts aren't cheap, if you get the fake ones they break easy (I know from experience). 

Also, strapping magnified optics to your eye is a good way to get disorientated and headaches.

I highly recommend just getting fake night vision and using magnified scope (or magnifier on ur gun) or hand held binoculars.

You’ve said you just don’t get why ? but isn’t this just the essence of the sport though , wanting to try something different ? He’s done some research him self , has said whole point to be able to flick it up or down , he’s not coming across as a trolling kid , It’s what he wants to do so we should try and help him . Put it in perspective (from my point of view anyway) your helmet for instance as epic as it looks (and it does btw) I’d hate to know how much you’ve sunk into it plus I think your going to have real neck problems wearing it for any prolonged length of time unless your wearing it for hrs every day during training to build up your neck muscles to support it , I know this from experience . But if you asked for some advice on what ever I’m sure everyone would try to help . 👍

The NVG mount I have is plastic but if I were going to do it I'd pick up a metal one. I'm also swapping out the NVG mounting plate with a metal one. There's about a million different J Arm adapters out there so I'l just find a good looking metal one of those, and finally those Monos I linked, there's hundreds that cheap with only a small max magnification and I don't know the thread size on the JArms (something to check) and the female screw points on the monoculars, but I bet they are the same or could find matching ones.

As for why well, I explained why earlier;

Yeah I think your right. I wouldn't have thought it was that odd - if you're in a big field would it not be beneficial to pull it down and have a scout around for people hiding etc if you don't have a magnifier scope on your gun?

(Plus, it'll look cool and actually be functional. The amount of dummy monos out there is crazy - but what's worse is that none of them work at all, yet they cost sometimes even more than a working one. Even empty PEQ-15 boxes have a working red dot. Rule of cool.)

Archived