Puffy LiFe

CrackCommandoUnit1972
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, just got my self a new 3 cell 9.9v LiFe battery as I have heard good things about them.

However, while I was putting it though its first charge I noticed that one of the cells became a little puffy. So I removed the battery from charge before the charger had finished. The charger was telling me that the first two cells had finished charging but the third cell was still being charged (I assume it is the puffy one).

After a quick check, the battery was outputting 10.39v in total which is more than the 9.9v it is supposed to carry.

So, is this normal? have I got a duffy battery? have I got a dodgy charger?

Will bad things happen if I discharge the battery a bit (by fully autoing my gun for a bit)  and putting it back on the charger?

• Supporters

Don't risk it if it's puffy. LiFe is supposed to be much more safe than LiPo so if it's puffy, there is a big problem. It won't burst out in flames, but will probably die.

Send it back.

" Each LiFe cell has a NOMINAL voltage of 3.3V. A fully charged LiFe cell is 3.6V "

So 10.8V is the fully charged life's voltage, that's not a problem.

• Supporters

Title of this thread got the old grey matter in a twist before I clicked... then the penny dropped.

• Supporters

Remember LiFe's use totally different settings to LiPo's

If you slap a LiFe on a LiPo setting you will f*ck it up

(in general - though there a couple of special LiPo's a tiny tiny bit over the 3.7/4.2v limit)

LiPo's get charged up to a max of 4.2v (0.5v max over cell std rating - no more or damage occurs)

LiFe's get charged up to a max of 3.8v (0.5v max over cell std rating - no more or damage occurs)

So if you slap a LiFe onto a LiPo charger - even a B4 or balance lead charger & charge @ up to 4.2v you will bone it

(and it's f*cking dangerous to overcharge)

some B4 balance chargers have a LIFE/LIPO setting - most do not

a B6 charger you have to adjust the LiPo settings - RTFM, or I had to to change/charge the few LiFe's I had

not very clear but you tweak the LiPo/settings to charge 3.3v cells not 3.7v...

you could have got a duff LiFe or you could have overcharged it if not careful & charged it with LiPo settings

4 hours ago, Prisce said:

Title of this thread got the old grey matter in a twist before I clicked... then the penny dropped.

I had exactly the same problem ! 😂

3 hours ago, Sitting Duck said:

Remember LiFe's use totally different settings to LiPo's

If you slap a LiFe on a LiPo setting you will f*ck it up

(in general - though there a couple of special LiPo's a tiny tiny bit over the 3.7/4.2v limit)

LiPo's get charged up to a max of 4.2v (0.5v max over cell std rating - no more or damage occurs)

LiFe's get charged up to a max of 3.8v (0.5v max over cell std rating - no more or damage occurs)

So if you slap a LiFe onto a LiPo charger - even a B4 or balance lead charger & charge @ up to 4.2v you will bone it

(and it's f*cking dangerous to overcharge)

some B4 balance chargers have a LIFE/LIPO setting - most do not

a B6 charger you have to adjust the LiPo settings - RTFM, or I had to to change/charge the few LiFe's I had

not very clear but you tweak the LiPo/settings to charge 3.3v cells not 3.7v...

you could have got a duff LiFe or you could have overcharged it if not careful & charged it with LiPo settings

I did use a charge that has a LiFe setting, so I hope I just got unlucky and got a duff battery.

Archived