Google Stadia...

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Head Moderator

I will stick to just using a PC and laptop, and games on Steam.

• 1 month later...
  • Supporters

For a long time now the topic of streaming replacing everything else that came before has been something that interested me immensely.  You'd have thought music would've been the first thing given it requires the least bandwidth, but I'd say it probably happened to films first (and many tv series ofc) when blockbuster gradually died followed by netflix growing massive.  Physical CDs did perhaps die first but for a while people were torrenting and buying music to download and keep, but that has been/is now being surplanted by spotify, deezer and amazon etc.  Now nobody's buying discs with anything on in shops anymore, 'but I do, I like having something physical!' nobody cares grandad stop wasting resources for absolutely no reason.

Games were the last stand because they require the biggest investment in terms of the servers given the fact you control a game (unlike video and audio) and for a large number of potential customers around the world to have stable, high bandwidth connections (faster than is needed for streaming other stuff).  However it was an inevitability, a lot of other computer programs already went 'to the cloud'.  Google was probably the biggest and most significant game stream announcement at E3 but there was also Bethesda and Microsoft in the mix and those are 3 gigantic names just off the top of my head.

I tried PS Now on my PC about 2 years ago, managed to play through The Last of Us fairly well, resolution would dip down sometimes, occasional minor input lag, but it worked and that system didn't have nearly the investment put in to Stadia (plus internet connections on military bases universally suck ass).  At £8/month or whatever it is with all games on the system included, the cost vs a PC or console and buying even a few games per year is much less and you never have to update your hardware, until it physically dies that is.  ~£100/year for Stadia would be a monstrous cost saving for me personally given that gaming is by far my main hobby and pastime.

Personally, I think these services may well take off and if they do the ramifications for the actual hardware of consoles and gaming PCs could be huge.  It might take a console gen worth of years for a plurality of people to make the change, but if these things work and the game selections available on them are good then the price point is too good to pass up for most people playing traditional games (i.e. not mobile).

Archived