airsoft snipers and what to buy

slothek
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

looking into getting a sniper and really lost in all the options. i want something that will be accurate at long range which is what its all about. would like to hit consistently at at least 200-250ft but i dont know if thats reasonable to ask for my budget(or at all for that matter).  been looking at well mb08 (+other makes) and amoebas striker as01. both of which i have heard positive things about and also heard negative things too, seems to be the same for all guns. what is everyone's take on these and any suggestions of others to check out would be much appreciated.  looking at around £200 budget but if people think it is necessary to pay more for what im asking for than please do say, would probably end up spending more on upgrades from what i have seen anyway. thankyou

another question is, with airsoft guns do snipers even get better range and accuracy than any other aeg/dmr which have the advantage of semi/full auto?

3 minutes ago, slothek said:

i want something that will be accurate at long range which is what its all about.

I'm afraid with a budget off around £200 you're not going to achieve your desired result. With your budget you could get a decent foundation gun to build upon, however you will be spending a lot more on upgrades. I'll repeat what I was told when I asked the same question a little over a year ago, airsoft snipers take a lot of time and money before they can be called accurate. Sadly I still haven't picked up a sniper myself yet, but I'm sure there will be others who have great recommendations on where to start.

thanks shirou. in that case ignore the budget, what would it take to achieve those results. id rather not start with a gun that doesnt work as desired and work my way up as im sure that would be more expensive (correct me if im wrong) + if its not accurate at long range theres no point having a sniper in my opinion. i really want somthing that just is good and delivers from the box or with limited upgrades due to costs. if buying cheap and upgrading is the way to go then where is a good place to start and what mods are the most effective. thanks

52 minutes ago, slothek said:

i really want somthing that just is good and delivers from the box or with limited upgrades due to costs

Doesnt exist unless you’re spending £450-500+

Goos sniper are built not bought. You can build one for less though. 

Just now, E21A said:

Doesnt exist unless you’re spending £450-500+

Goos sniper are built not bought 

ok thanks.  are the guns i posted above any good as a starting point , if not what is and what mods are most effective... what would it take to achieve desired results

• Supporters

The SRS is, in my opinion, the best out of the box sniper right now, and it can be upgraded fairly cheaply to make it excellent. Search the Forum for SRS to see reviews etc. 

You can build a better version of the SSG with carefully sourced parts for around £300.

If you want the ares striker I’d say go with the AS02 but it’ll need upgrades pretty much straight away (if you do this let me know, I’ve spent a lot of time and money on mine and it’s still not finished, although it’s a bloody good now) 

Dont know much about the well, is the MB08 the VSR clone? If so I’d say go with a CYMA variant, it’s cheaper and you’d need to gut it away so may as well got for the cheapest option 

11 minutes ago, E21A said:

If you want the ares striker I’d say go with the AS02 but it’ll need upgrades pretty much straight away (if you do this let me know, I’ve spent a lot of time and money on mine and it’s still not finished, although it’s a bloody good now) 

Dont know much about the well, is the MB08 the VSR clone? If so I’d say go with a CYMA variant, it’s cheaper and you’d need to gut it away so may as well got for the cheapest option 

dont think so.   ill link where i saw it.    it doesnt seem as good as the striker so that will probably be what i go for unless somone has a good reason not too

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/well-mb-08a-warrior-i-fluted-barrel-w-folding-stock?pv=1106

I asked this question in a different thread sniper thread, however it was super old so I'll repeat myself. Is the SSG24 actually a viable sniper at this point? I mean for the people not looking to go through the waiting and building of a gun from scratch. From my understanding a for a decent VSR you're looking at £450 minimum if not considerably more. You can pickup the SSG24 for £435 shipped from the European warehouse at this point. Obviously the VSR will out perform it, but for the price and without the hassle, is it really that bad of a buy now? Obviously some people have a bias against the gun as it's owned by Nov, but looking past the owner and just at the gun itself.

6 minutes ago, E21A said:

any reason for choosing the striker as02 over the 01. if its only down to looks i prefer the 01 tbh. they are almost identical otherwise from what i can see but im no expert😅

5 minutes ago, slothek said:

Mag, it’s an L96 type clone. Don’t know much about those. 

5 minutes ago, ShirouAshiya said:

I asked this question in a different thread sniper thread, however it was super old so I'll repeat myself. Is the SSG24 actually a viable sniper at this point? I mean for the people not looking to go through the waiting and building of a gun from scratch. From my understanding a for a decent VSR you're looking at £450 minimum if not considerably more. You can pickup the SSG24 for £435 shipped from the European warehouse at this point. Obviously the VSR will out perform it, but for the price and without the hassle, is it really that bad of a buy now? Obviously some people have a bias against the gun as it's owned by Nov, but looking past the owner and just at the gun itself.

It’s not a bad choice for those who don’t want to tech, however it’s just the base gun with an edgi kit pre fitted. 

1 minute ago, slothek said:

any reason for choosing the striker as02 over the 01. if its only down to looks i prefer the 01 tbh. they are almost identical otherwise from what i can see but im no expert😅

The 02 is a much better gun, has 90° trigger sears as standard and the barrel length has been corrected for the smaller cylinder. Also comes with the better cheek rest and handgrip, better cylinder/body pin etc. Stock cylinder is trash though (like the AS01) but 1 piece cylinder is available for about £40 

4 minutes ago, E21A said:

It’s not a bad choice for those who don’t want to tech, however it’s just the base gun with an edgi kit pre fitted. 

Yeah I guess that's one way to put it, I was thinking about it a while back when I got the email and was tempted just to pick one up for the simple fact that with work and uni I just can't be bothered to build my own. But I've always been on the fence, I don't mind Nov myself, pretty up beat and down to earth guy, but a lot of people don't like the business man in him.

It always seems to be the gun which comes up when a new player is looking to snipe, always mixed reactions though! (I'm now newbie, I just haven't posted in a year or so haha)

17 minutes ago, E21A said:

The 02 is a much better gun, has 90° trigger sears as standard and the barrel length has been corrected for the smaller cylinder. Also comes with the better cheek rest and handgrip, better cylinder/body pin etc. Stock cylinder is trash though (like the AS01) but 1 piece cylinder is available for about £40 

think i might go for the 02 then. id like too look more into it before i sink the money. what mods have you done, just trying to get an idea for cost i can expect before its up to expectations. also what mods do you intend to do

9 minutes ago, slothek said:

think i might go for the 02 then. id like too look more into it before i sink the money. what mods have you done, just trying to get an idea for cost i can expect before its up to expectations.

Ermm, I’ve spent about the cost of the gun again on upgrades! 😂 Can be done cheaper now they’ve released a one piece cylinder though. 

If youve got Facebook then search for the striker owners page, loads of info on there. 

SRS (top notch internals, just swap springs and hop-up to achieve desired result) or JG BAR-10  (VSR clone with a perfectly usable strong cylinder) are good platforms. Not much more needs to be said.

• Supporters
On 08/06/2019 at 21:30, E21A said:

Stock cylinder is trash though (like the AS01) but 1 piece cylinder is available for about £40

Get a piston too. The steel sear chews away the base of the original alu piston in no time. Mine has little pieces of it everywhere inside the cylinder after one game and some garden shooting.

On 08/06/2019 at 21:23, ShirouAshiya said:

If you don't want to fiddle with it at all, then the ssg24 is a good bet now that they are shipping from Austria.
I have a team mate who has one and it can stand its ground with my SRS.

On 08/06/2019 at 19:52, slothek said:

looking into getting a sniper and really lost in all the options. i want something that will be accurate at long range which is what its all about. would like to hit consistently at at least 200-250ft but i dont know if thats reasonable to ask for my budget(or at all for that matter).  been looking at well mb08 (+other makes) and amoebas striker as01. both of which i have heard positive things about and also heard negative things too, seems to be the same for all guns. what is everyone's take on these and any suggestions of others to check out would be much appreciated.  looking at around £200 budget but if people think it is necessary to pay more for what im asking for than please do say, would probably end up spending more on upgrades from what i have seen anyway. thankyou

another question is, with airsoft guns do snipers even get better range and accuracy than any other aeg/dmr which have the advantage of semi/full auto?

Part of what it comes down to is ergonomics.
When it comes to choosing a sniper rifle - 
1) Accept it's going to cost a reasonable wedge to have a gun that performs well and consistently
2) On that basis, pick a platform you like and that you are comfortable with

3) Buy the rifle and see what you think of the stock performance
4) On the basis of your opinion in 3, start upgrading bits and bobs
5) Enjoy the journey 😄 

thnakyou all.    my local site allows semi auto locked dmr's to go up to 450fps and sniper rifles up to 500fps... my understanding is the only benefit of having a sniper rifle is that it is allowed to run a much higher fps but with only 50 between them is there a marked difference in range and accuracy between a dmr and a bolt action after upgrades. thanks 

15 hours ago, Samurai said:

Get a piston too. The steel sear chews away the base of the original alu piston in no time. Mine has little pieces of it everywhere inside the cylinder after one game and some garden shooting.

Good point! Airsoftpro do a nice kit at a very good price 

As I own both the SRS (16inch covert) and the SSG I can say that they both preform similar to me, that being said I prefer the SSG for woodland games and the SRS for urban games. 

I also have a DMR 417 recoil and at 400 fps and the only piece of advice I would give you if you are undecided about sniping or going down the DMR route is they both have advantages and disadvantages but I think the best route for you is to decide on your play style as that might help you decide what you want sniper or DMR

Archived