Tracer attachment on pistols.

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I know that some pistols with threaded barrels can be very sluggish with tracer units attached. But the stumpy little Acetech and XCortec pistol tracers are very light.

Can they be safely attached to barrels of most guns or is an under the  rail attachment with threaded hood for the barrel a better bet?

I'm thinking of acquiring one for my WE G17.

What about TM pistols? If people buy a metal threaded outer barrel for a Marui, that would add even more weight to the slide and might interfere with blowback .

• 2 weeks later...

As with a real fire arm, the barrel does not move with the slide. The barrel stays put and the slide recoils back and discharges the cartridge (Obviously not in Airsoft), then comes forwards due to the recoil spring. On the way picking up the next round and securing it in the stationary barrel. Airsoft pistols work exactly the same way.

The tracer units attach to the outer barrel and stay in place as the slide blows back. The weight of the tracer unit only affects the weight balance of the overall pistol and makes it slightly front heavy.

• Supporters

[Shrugs] Dunno, I've only got the Lighter-S.  I got it because the 2nd generation ones have a native 14mm CCW thread with an 11mm adapter, rather than the other way around.  That makes it more suitable for throwing on an AEG as well, and as the AA G17 has a 12mm thread, and there are no tracers that fit straight in, I need a 12mm-something adapter anyway.

• Supporters
19 hours ago, RobHedley said:

As with a real fire arm, the barrel does not move with the slide. The barrel stays put and the slide recoils back and discharges the cartridge (Obviously not in Airsoft), then comes forwards due to the recoil spring. On the way picking up the next round and securing it in the stationary barrel. Airsoft pistols work exactly the same way.

The tracer units attach to the outer barrel and stay in place as the slide blows back. The weight of the tracer unit only affects the weight balance of the overall pistol and makes it slightly front heavy.

Well that's not true! There are loads of real and Airsoft pistols with barrels that tilt during cycling.  The WE G17 that the OP is asking about definitely has a tilting barrel. 

3 minutes ago, jcheeseright said:

Well that's not true! There are loads of real and Airsoft pistols with barrels that tilt during cycling.  The WE G17 that the OP is asking about definitely has a tilting barrel. 

The OP was talking about the whole barrel moving with the slide and slowing the action down when the weight of the tracer unit is added. A barrel may tilt or have some slight movement but it does not travel back with the slide as the OP thought. In my post, I stated that the barrel stays put as it does on the majority of pistols (I say majority as there is always some weird version out there in the real and airsoft world). In saying that I was talking about the barrel does not cycle with the slide and therefore the tracer unit stays put. 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, RobHedley said:

The OP was talking about the whole barrel moving with the slide and slowing the action down when the weight of the tracer unit is added. A barrel may tilt or have some slight movement but it does not travel back with the slide as the OP thought. In my post, I stated that the barrel stays put as it does on the majority of pistols (I say majority as there is always some weird version out there in the real and airsoft world). In saying that I was talking about the barrel does not cycle with the slide and therefore the tracer unit stays put. 

The barrel on a Glock does move though, not back and forth, but the muzzle end goes up and then down.  The movement of the slide to the rear causes this.  If you add weight to the muzzle it takes more energy for the slide to lift the barrel and thus makes the gun less efficient.  Add a 200g tracer unit to the end of a WE G17 barrel and see how well the gun cycles (spoiler: REALLY BADLY). 

I stand corrected with regards to the G17. I have never owned an Airsoft Glock so I bow to your superior knowledge regarding the WE G17. I should imagine that it would effect the blowback as the extra weight would alter the balance point of the barrel and therefore would bind up on the slide perhaps?? 

• 2 weeks later...

I run an xcoretech on my capa and it works really well. friend of mine did mod my outerbarrel to be fixed so the tracer really has no way to move anywhere. (example not my capa) 

Airsoft glocks are kind of the opposite from the real thing. They break al the time, it's just not made to perform all the time. Honestly, if you want performance get a TM Hi capa 4.3 or 5.1 (i like 4.3 better because it comes with a picatinny rail for attachments.)

If you like tech'ing and you want one for the looks then go for it. (i'd get a TM one though.)

• Supporters
On 18/06/2019 at 22:55, emilianoksa said:

Thanks lads, but what about the WE Glock. Is the Lighter S 32grm too much or can the gun cope?

If it doesn't, then why pay more for a WE than for an Army Armament?

Archived