Li-app battery, which polarity to use

jld142
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all,

i got my first airsoft gun and some li-po batteries. The instructions tell me “plug 1S~3S battery pack into the charge port of charger: Ensure that +/- polarity is correct or the charger will not work.

the problem is, my batteries have 3 holes, the charger has 4 pins and the connector seems to fit both the + and the - side. I am unsure whether the battery should be on the + pin or on the - pin. Can someone help me understand how I work this out.

73EFA4EC-4AF2-4D17-9AA4-A5FDAEA0E68B.jpeg

B57BF1CC-0060-43DA-953F-57B0133ED9AB.jpeg

image.jpg

• Supporters

that's a 7.4v lipo, so it only uses 2 of the 3 charging channels on that charger.

plug it in as you would for a 4-pin and you should see only 2 of the 3 charging led's turn red then slowly back to blue as it charges.

word of warning about those chargers- i've had one of them die and kill one of my batteries, and heard of a bunch of similar stories around these forums.

personally I would match up the +. However I would also get a better charger , a decent charger will have separate sockets for the balance plugs for 2s, 3s etc 

9 minutes ago, Nick G said:

personally I would match up the +. However I would also get a better charger , a decent charger will have separate sockets for the balance plugs for 2s, 3s etc 

Can you recommend any other chargers? This was one recommended to me by my friend.

10 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

that's a 7.4v lipo, so it only uses 2 of the 3 charging channels on that charger.

plug it in as you would for a 4-pin and you should see only 2 of the 3 charging led's turn red then slowly back to blue as it charges.

word of warning about those chargers- i've had one of them die and kill one of my batteries, and heard of a bunch of similar stories around these forums.

So, like this? (Nothing plugged into the - pin)

image.jpg

Not sure exactly what model you've got but it looks like this one.

That link shows that you need to align with the negative pin (there's only one).

You'll also find some examples of better chargers on there too.

So are you guys telling me i should plug in as

+       -

|  |  |  |

XXX

As opposed to:

+       -

|  |  |  |

XXX

Based on the logic that you only have one (shared) negative and two positives then the charger will be wired the same, which means that you need to match up the negative or you'll be connecting a positive on the charger to a negative on the battery - not a good idea!

From looking at your pictures your charger appears to be the exact one I linked to, and the other pictures on that link show you how to connect the battery.  There's also a "data sheet" which is actually a copy of the instructions, unfortunately they've been very poorly translated by look of it.

• 2 weeks later...

black wire on the right hand side is correct don't worry about any extra pins

Archived