Twist Barrels (advice wanted)

Finius
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I'm having a hard time finding anything about "twist barrels", but what I have found has claimed that they can do some seriously good stuff, if half of it rings true, it'd make one perfect for my upcoming DMR L85.

Can I find them anywhere? Does anyone know anything at all about them? How do they work with hopup, or do I have to turn hopup off if I have one?

Thanks!

Yes you still use a hop-up, the way they work is there is what looks like rifling in the barrel but is actually spiralled grooves which allows a small ammount of air to get passed the bb so instead of the bb bouncing down the barrel like usual it is held in an air pocket meaning no friction and greater stability thus giving much better range and accuracy.

It only works if your gun is around 330fps though, much higher or lower then the vortex effect wont work and thus just acts like a normal barrel.

• Supporters

it actually works down to around 200fps on .2's.

Got the physics spot on though, it is the air cushion that is blown around by the wind instead of the BB, which helps (the main bit being the barrel cushion)

there are some on firesupport, failing that redwolf airsoft thave them, but be prepared to pay for the performance, I totted up what I wanted for my M16 in a new hop up unit, barrel and rubber (Tanio Kobas barrel with systema unit and rubber) and got a total of £120 to my door, which is a little more than I would like to pay, I think It will be a case of jsut forking out for it though...

The barrels will not work above 330fps due to the air cushion travelling faster than the BB by a noticeable distance - so keep your gun firing at 1Joule and you'll have a corker

Archived