Can you polish scratches out of Eye protection?

CiderPunk
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My bolle X800s are totally scratched up, with several large ones floating right in front of my pupils its getting annoying. has anyone tried polishing these out? a brief google suggested toothpaste, i remember trying to repairing CDs with this back in the day, never with any success, so i'm not in a rush to try it on my expensive eye pro :)

• Supporters
Just now, CiderPunk said:

My bolle X800s are totally scratched up, with several large ones floating right in front of my pupils its getting annoying. has anyone tried polishing these out? a brief google suggested toothpaste, i remember trying to repairing CDs with this back in the day, never with any success, so i'm not in a rush to try it on my expensive eye pro :)

Even if it worked (and I doubt it) not really a very good idea to go messing with safety glasses now is it ? 😉

All the eyepro I buy come with a case that has protective sleeves for each lens. Is suggest if you go down the new glasses route getting a pair of Wiley X or similar or if you want to stay with goggles the Bolle 800 lenses are £24 each (comes up on my prime so if you have prime - free delivery)

• Supporters

Meguiars PlastRX plastic polish can ameliorate light surface clouding, but deep scratches, no.

If you've given up on the lenses anyway, you could try heat.  Keep them in a warm place to dry them out as much as possible, then heat them with a hair dryer or verrrrry cautiously with a heat gun.  I've had some success with this on polycarbonate helmet visors, but I've also ruined one by holding the heat on it for just a fraction too long, so I'd only recommend it if you're already mentally committed to replacing them.

Reference source.

Tried it with an old pair of glasses, to get deep enough to remove the scratches meant the fov was changed.

It no longer felt natural looking through them, so no like the guys said just buy a new pair and save yourself the hassle.

Archived