Is Anyone Moderating This Site?

Spuggy1uk
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Are there actually any moderators looking after this site?

In the 'Forum Rules' it clearly states:

Breaking the following rules will result in an immediate IP ban, deletion of account and removal of all posts and topics.

• Absolutely NO
Foul or obscene language

However, not only is this rule constantly ignored in threads, we now have some 'clown' thinking it's acceptable to use profanity in todays thread title...

https://airsoft-forums.uk/topic/46113-trim-that-fucking-beard/?tab=comments#comment-363991

I'm a veteran and now work in the civil service in one of its more 'demanding' roles. I confess that I use this language almost constantly when at work.

I'm hoping to get my son into airsoft but why should he, and other youngsters coming into the sport, be subjected to this obscene language in a popular forum like this?

Come on mods, do something before the clique of 'bigger boys' with their colourful vocabulary ruin it for those of us able to express ourselves with words containing over four letters!

• Supporters

It is moderated. 

I get what your saying, but if you believe your son hasn’t heard language like that or worse in his everyday life your far from mistaken.

I do believe that rule has a little wiggle room, foul and obscene to you may be normal to someone else. I don’t think swearing is classed as foul or obscene anymore? 

Think its its mainly for racial and hate terms nowadays.

• Supporters

Given airsoft is a sport that normally expects its members to be over 18 (at least the ones dedicated enough to be forum regulars outside of the school holidays) it's understandable that the moderation of language isn't a high priority especially given the standard found on most airsoft fields isnt going to be much better.

I must admit i've noticed behaviour on here that wouldnt be considered acceptable on other forums, particularly when debates get "heated", but seeing as this is the internet we should probably be grateful it isn't worse.

I've seen plenty of debates on here get heated, and then calm down again as those involved work out their differences and clear the air (a good thing) and that's usually how it goes.  It's extremely unusual for it to escalate so far that moderators have to step in (I can think of a certain person who repeatedly caused issues).  We generally have a tendency to self moderate a lot and if someone is being abusive then the other members won't stand for it, especially if they question why their ad just appeared on the Mack's thread. 😈

Personally I like that people here speak their minds, I'd rather everyone was open, honest, and took the "you know what" mercilessly than the saccharin, anaemic world of everyone moderating their thoughts in case they "offend" someone.  Sometimes that involves less polite language, as long as it isn't racist or properly abusive then I have a problem with it myself.

Whilst I don’t agree with you @Spuggy1uk I will defend your right to express your discontent, and you make a good point, so maybe we should have a debate and come to a consensus.

Then, the moderator(s), site admin & owners can listen, and then do whatever the hell they like 👍🏻

So, it appears that some would agree that the language is a tad 'strong' then.

Clearly, nobody would want anyone banned as per the threat in the 'Forum Rules', but it would be nice if younger folk could visit the site for advice in starting airsoft, etc, etc, without having to negotiate a load of 'colourful expletives'.

If not, why would such a rule have been drafted up in the first place? If the mods are happy then fair enough, but it has the potential to deteriorate further if not reigned in a bit.

I swear like a trooper, but I try to choose my audience carefully! Swearing on a forum is a little sad and gives the impression that the author is struggling to express themselves. 

3 minutes ago, E21A said:

Welcome to the internet, you must be new here 

Well done!

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, Spuggy1uk said:

I swear like a trooper, but I try to choose my audience carefully! Swearing on a forum is a little sad and gives the impression that the author is struggling to express themselves. 

I think I express myself very fucking well thank you very much.

Guest Yukarin

I think if your son is old enough to play airsoft (most sites only accept 12+?) then he should know when to swear or not. My folks taught me all the words before I had a chance to learn them at school and disciplined me hard to make sure I didn't use them in public. (Not trying to tell you how to raise your child, just saying that if your kid is old enough to play airsoft hes probably mature enough to understand when NOT to swear).

In regards to the rule, without swearing to prove a point, its a word, if people get offended by words, then they are soft skinned to put it nicely!

• Supporters

You constantly use profanity at work but draw the line on a forum because 'think of the children'? lmao.. 

Airsoft is a sport based around shooting people with realistic guns. Violence = okay. Swearing = not okay. 

If they go to school, play games, even just browse the web they see profanity. It's not exactly in excess here and hardly a problem that needs addressing. 

To be fair you bring up a good point. It's a rule that's not really enforced, so lets just get rid of it. Draw the line on hate speech, racism, etc.. 

12 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Very clever, we weren't expecting that!

11 minutes ago, UKCYukarin said:

I think if your son is old enough to play airsoft (most sites only accept 12+?) then he should know when to swear or not. My folks taught me all the words before I had a chance to learn them at school and disciplined me hard to make sure I didn't use them in public. (Not trying to tell you how to raise your child, just saying that if your kid is old enough to play airsoft hes probably mature enough to understand when NOT to swear).

I'm not just on about me, it's a general thing - other people have kids too. https://www.mumsnet.com/

11 minutes ago, Gepard said:

You constantly use profanity at work but draw the line on a forum because 'think of the children'? lmao.. 

Yes, on this forum.

• Head Moderator

As said, this is a forum is for airsofters (and to buy an IF or RIF you must be over 18) and we are generally an adult membership and do not moderate content based on a minority of under 18s here.  Big boys rules; this is the real world and not a CBBC show or mumsnet.    Moderation is fairly laid back but will get involved when aggressive/flaming and ad hominim attacks against a person rather than just the language used.

If you are not happy with a post then use the report button which will flag it for Moderator attention.  I have edited the title and removed the swear word (which does not detract anything from the subject).

I am generally more concerned with stopping spammers and those who do not follow the simple rules for using the Classiifeds.

Possible that the forum rules may need some adjustment, we are evolving, so could be something for us to to put to the Supporters for their viewpoint.

Now, do not get me started on the poor English and grammar used by some members...

1 minute ago, Jedi_Master said:

Now, do not get me started on the poor English and grammar used by some members...

Das tru blue, innit......

Guest Yukarin
13 minutes ago, Spuggy1uk said:

Very clever, we weren't expecting that!

I'm not just on about me, it's a general thing - other people have kids too. https://www.mumsnet.com/

Yes, on this forum.

well ill extend my advice to every parent. Discpline is lacking these days, my dad was in the military (foreign, not British) and he gave me proper military discipline and it sorted me out because god knows I was an absolute terrible little shit when I was young.

• Supporters

@Spuggy1uk, if yours, or any other youngsters visit the forum & are offended, I can only think they must be living in a bubble.

my lad pocketdialed me once from the school bus, I was treated to 20 mins of language so foul that Roy Chubby Brown would have blushed, & that was only the girls lol.

3 minutes ago, Tackle said:

@Spuggy1uk, if yours, or any other youngsters visit the forum & are offended, I can only think they must be living in a bubble.

my lad pocketdialed me once from the school bus, I was treated to 20 mins of language so foul that Roy Chubby Brown would have blushed, & that was only the girls lol.

Nobody's offended, I was just raising a point for discussion. I don't believe for one minute that any offspring of mine are angels!

37 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

YOU CANT SAY BAD WORDS ON THE INTERNETZ!!!! INSTANT BAN FOR YOU! 

Just now, E21A said:

YOU CANT SAY BAD WORDS ON THE INTERNETZ!!!! INSTANT BAN FOR YOU! 

Capital letters, tut,tut. You may be off too - I don't make the rules...! (where the **** is the 'smiley' face?)

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Spuggy1uk said:

Nobody's offended, I was just raising a point for discussion. I don't believe for one minute that any offspring of mine are angels!

not referring to yours bud, just the being out & about the kids hear way worse, plus the context its usually used in is just plain nasty.

1 minute ago, Tackle said:

not referring to yours bud, just the being out & about the kids hear way worse, plus the context its usually used in is just plain nasty.

I didn't think you did for a moment!

3 hours ago, Spuggy1uk said:

I'm hoping to get my son into airsoft but why should he, and other youngsters coming into the sport, be subjected to this obscene language in a popular forum like this?

You've clearly never been to a typical Airsoft skirmish! 

8 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

You've clearly never been to a typical Airsoft skirmish! 

Hey boy, I was skirmishing when it was all plastic, single shot springers! 😜

• Supporters

I do agree with @Spuggy1uk that if there is a rule of no foul language then we should stick to that or change the rule.

And I remember @proffrink explicitly saying that we (all) can swear on the forum from when he took over, so I guess that rule needs to be amended. The mood and conversations are more relaxed with the occasional fucks flying around.

Archived