DPM or MTP for Summer Games????

Jester_UK
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just thought I'd get some thoughts on this. I am a big soldier 95 DPM fan and don't think MTP works in a normal english woodland during the winter months. However, I don't think it so good for bright summer days. As MTP is brighter I'm wondering whether this would work better for sunny woodland sites. I am looking to get up to my site in the next few weeks, so I might dig out my MTP and give it a try if the sunny weather is still going then. 

• Supporters

I think DPM’s just as good in the summer as it is in winter , in woodland you have more marked ‘dark areas’ due to the brighter ambient light as well as the bright sun shine open areas it’s movement that really gives you away not the colours your wearing , unless of course your wearing a glowing white superdry chav cam tracksuit ! Then yea ya bollox’ed ! 🤣🤣

As DPM is Disruptive Pattern Material, MTP is also a Disruptive Pattern and is a customisation of MultiCam in the well known British Displaced Pattern.

We have Woodland DPM, Desert DPM and pretty much MultiTerrain DPM.

(We also had pre-MTP dyed in Afghanistan)

https://strikehold.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/afghan-camo-the-british-controversy/

Its the broken disruptive pattern that breaks up your shape, (even for a fraction of a seconds advantage) and genuine MTP combat clothing on the correct materials combines with the MultiCam colour mix to 'absorb' ambient light and show up the complimentary colours for the environment.

Woodland DPM is designed for the woodlands of Western Europe, and therefore is a 'specific' pattern for much of the UK, and as mentioned on a nice sunny day will further assist with shaded areas.

MTP is lighter and more generic, but it does function in the UK

• Supporters

MTP can be very effective in the summer, particularly in more leafy and greener vegetation.

There's no 'right' camouflage to wear, different patterns and palettes will suite X location better or worse throughout the year and even day to day depending on the weather, cloud cover etc

Give it a go and see, both are functional patterns in the right scenario

Have a look at my old mates videos on the subject

Personally I prefer DPM but it is propbably more to do with me being rather old school.

I did my time in the marine cadets in the early 80's which was pre soldier 95 DPM which was whatever was given to us and then in the TA it was soldier 95. I find MTP to be a pity of a misnomer as I can't really see how it fits all environments. I don't thinks it really works for woodland most of the time (though I might prove myself wrong) LOL and there are much much better tropical/deserts camo patterns around. Still if the MOD says it works then so be it LOL. I'll give MTP another go if its sunny but its never going to be my go to camo pattern.

• Supporters
12 hours ago, Jester_UK said:

I find MTP to be a pity of a misnomer as I can't really see how it fits all environments. 

The clue is in the name - "MULTI terrain pattern" not "ALL terrain pattern". It's not designed for use everywhere, as with the predecessor MultiCam it's meant for transitional areas as are often found in places like Afghanistan.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, clumpyedge said:

I find the following work well for summer months in the UK

• Solid Ranger green
  • DPM
  • US woodland (personal favourite)
  • Pencott greenzone
  • Tiger stripe
  • Flektarn

I find that working out how to not be seen works well. ;)

I love me a bit of US woodland but ATACS iX works quite nicely too.

4 minutes ago, Lozart said:

I find that working out how to not be seen works well. ;)

I love me a bit of US woodland but ATACS iX works quite nicely too.

Its funny you say that but usually while marshalling I will stay static at certain view points and even in shorts youd be surprised how many people jump when I suddenly tell them something having not seen me standing there....

2s8oam.jpg

• Supporters

Trust me, I wouldn't be surprised at all! Some folk wouldn't see an elephant at 10 paces even if it was painted bright pink.

It's an amusing aside but it does highlight something I've seen time and again while airsofting - a lack of situational awareness!

16 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

I find the following work well for summer months in the UK

• Solid Ranger green
  • DPM
  • US woodland (personal favourite)
  • Pencott greenzone
  • Tiger stripe
  • Flektarn

I quite like the idea of flecktarn or tiger stripe so I might see what ebay has to offer.  Situational awareness plays a big part and I have to admit my SA is not the greatest, but some people just don't have any at all lol.

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Trust me, I wouldn't be surprised at all! Some folk wouldn't see an elephant at 10 paces even if it was painted bright pink.

It's an amusing aside but it does highlight something I've seen time and again while airsofting - a lack of situational awareness!

We have a saying between us marshals and I find it everywhere I play... Airsofters on the whole have absolutely no spatial awareness or situational awareness.

• Moderators

im about to use Pencott greenzone and wildwood for a game in July in mixed woodland, i can guarantee it wont make any difference to me, normally i just wear what ever as i'll always get hit :lol:

we have had a few of these posts before, unless you are almost stationary.....your eyes will pick up anything anyway that moves. The distances we engage in, its more about looking good for some :lol:....you'll have to get matching chest rigs/PC, hat etc. as well ;):D

1 minute ago, djben9 said:

im about to use Pencott greenzone and wildwood for a game in July in mixed woodland, i can guarantee it wont make any difference to me, normally i just wear what ever as i'll always get hit :lol:

we have had a few of these posts before, unless you are almost stationary.....your eyes will pick up anything anyway that moves. The distances we engage in, its more about looking good for some :lol:....you'll have to get matching chest rigs/PC, hat etc. as well ;):D

You'd be surprised, watched someone at a local site crawl to the enemy bunker in their full greenzone load out and even with the minimal movement they created still didn't get seen in the brush.

• Supporters

Results of the gamer generation ? They focus on between 90-120 degrees in front of them (same as you see on a tv screen) so bit of Camo/skill AND move outside this angle of vision and boom your invisible.👍

works for me !😈

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

You'd be surprised, watched someone at a local site crawl to the enemy bunker in their full greenzone load out and even with the minimal movement they created still didn't get seen in the brush.

i'll give it a go if its the game i think we will be playing.....maybe not the crawl though as i may not get up!:lol:

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

Results of the gamer generation ?

No. Just a basic lack of awareness, I've seen it in all ages and all walks of life, on and off the airsoft field.

1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

Results of the gamer generation ? They focus on between 90-120 degrees in front of them (same as you see on a tv screen) so bit of Camo/skill AND move outside this angle of vision and boom your invisible.👍

works for me !😈

Its not even in game, people swinging stuff all over the place or walking into things etc. the amount you see people do it is astounding...

• Supporters

Counter-shading: MTP on the top, DPM on the bottom.

True fact: while image-searching for "camouflage heresy" in order to meme that up a bit, this is actually on the first page of hits:

5acf296714ecc-1000x1000.jpg

Flecktarn is the best value for money camo out there.

Cheap AF

Effective AF

Plentiful to find AF

@Jester_UK Fun fact neither of the 2 patterns you mention are designed to be used in the UK. 

DPM was designed for stoogeing about in german woodland whilst waiting for the 3rd shock army to come steaming through the Fulda Gap... MTP is pretty much DPM in an arid/multicam colourway suitable for use in the middle east.

Ive had very good results using russian SS-Leto in the UK either the summer or winter variants, I have had it described as dissapearoflage before by some. Also... it looks cool and there aren't a lot of people running it.

Edit 2. That said airsofters are a bit special at times, I've been known to succeed in being sneaky whilst wearing a very loud hawaiian shirt due to the inability of some players to maintain situational awareness.

Archived