What Drew you to airsoft?

Luke85
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, RobHedley said:

I really don't know why there is so much hate for him.

He's a good lad, really, and definitely puts the work in.  I just lost interest when he started doing gimmick videos.

An Auto 9 springer in the window of wonderland toys in edinburgh 20 years ago. That 20 quid spring started a long and very expensive journey.

2 minutes ago, BigStew said:

An Auto 9 springer in the window of wonderland toys in edinburgh 20 years ago. That 20 quid spring started a long and very expensive journey.

I'd love an auto9 springer

10 minutes ago, heroshark said:

I'd love an auto9 springer

It was great fun because of how the compensator was attached you could use it like a pump action.

Scoutthedoggie & the fact that I used to get lost in a dream world whilst building load outs for hours as a kid! I remember adding up the total cost of the royal marines commando loadout i made after I'd 'perfected it' (definitely wasn't accurate thinking back) and I'm sure it was well over £5k including the multiple choices of guns for it because I couldn't pick what role I wanted so a choice of L85A2, HK417 and a M40A5 did the job instead😂

14 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

M134 Minigun?

might have even been this exact video😂

multitude of things.

I used to work as a senior paintball marshal, played a lot of paintball on the tournament scene for a while too. Missed the sunday morning fixes.

Also ex reservist (RGJ) and missed some elements of that.

Finally i needed an excuse to drag my sorry, out of shape, fat ass out of bed on a sunday morning. Gave me something more active that feeding my face to do.

I enjoy the camaraderie, the social aspect, the kit buying (who doesn't) and the chance to pit my wits against other humans for a few hours every other weekend.

On 05/06/2019 at 13:49, Luke85 said:

Do you think its because most people in this country are not use to guns of any sort

Yes I think this plays a big part. Ask the general public what they think of Guns and I'd say most would be instantly negative. We always get the bad news relating to firearms and never stories where they have saved lives

2 hours ago, Resistor170 said:

Yes I think this plays a big part. Ask the general public what they think of Guns and I'd say most would be instantly negative. We always get the bad news relating to firearms and never stories where they have saved lives

more Socially unacceptable paintball 

On 06/06/2019 at 22:19, Rogerborg said:

M134 Minigun?

Probably haha!

On 07/06/2019 at 10:22, Rogerborg said:

He's a good lad, really, and definitely puts the work in.  I just lost interest when he started doing gimmick videos.

I wish he did a proper tour around Europe, set dates and did site reviews, etc.

That way he promotes the sport in that area, bring awareness of the sites and shares ideas around the community.

First off, ive not actually played an airsoft game yet! 🙈. I have my first game next week. Ive played paintball games in the past and enjoyed the game overall, but never really enjoyed the guns/the huge facemask to stop the paint. Always steamed up 10 minutes into a game and just found myself in an awkward spot as i couldnt remove the mask. lol.

But airsoft! The fact that the only difference is that it fires BB's makes it much more realistic and fun for me!

I love guns. Im no expert on them but ive always been keen on some of the old call of duty games, and shooting guns that are in the games is awesome. Plus i shot some of the real things whilst in the USA. 

Ive previously wanted to get into the forces but having asthma has restricted me from that..

So, jumping ahead of myself, ive bought a small gun and some gear. Not spent a huge amount (so no huge loss if i really find myself not liking it) but looking forward to gearing up and getting on the playground 🙂.

Im looking forward to meeting some new people as well. people who will have this interest in common with me (as im pretty sure im annoying my other friends and family with the excitement around this recently lol).

.....Also, looking ahead into the future.... I REALLY wanna try a MILSIM!!!

I'm sure you'll love it Sean84. Just something to bear in mind. Airsoft like almost anything else has a learning curve, and like most things you'll tend to enjoy it more the better and more comfortable you become in it. So don't get disheartened if your first few times don't quite live up to the hype. Also, no two days will ever be the same. You can go to the same site and play the exact same games with the same people as last time and have two very different experiences. Days where you'll hardly get shot and other days when it'll feel like your a walking target...its all good fun though :)

28 minutes ago, Luke85 said:

I'm sure you'll love it Sean84. Just something to bear in mind. Airsoft like almost anything else has a learning curve, and like most things you'll tend to enjoy it more the better and more comfortable you become in it. So don't get disheartened if your first few times don't quite live up to the hype. Also, no two days will ever be the same. You can go to the same site and play the exact same games with the same people as last time and have two very different experiences. Days where you'll hardly get shot and other days when it'll feel like your a walking target...its all good fun though :)

Yeah I’m sure you’re totally right! It will definitely be a learning curve! I’m always on YouTube and reading articles when I’m not busy. And checking out guns and gear in some of the web shops. Just getting an idea of how it all works. 

I don’t mind games being different. Not only will it be good to learn new ways the games can go, but it will ensure that I don’t get disheartened with the sport. 

Mall in all I’m totally excited for Sunday that I’m not really putting much effort in at work 🤣

• Supporters

If you enjoyed paintball, you'll love airsoft.  Just don't spunk your load on guns and gear up front, the hobby is full of people trying to offload their 9th backup loadout... ;)

Weirdly enough, for me it was a non Airsoft YouTube channel that got me into it. Node, a colab between the guys from corridor digital and literally the game Devs next door who play computer games together occasionally do Airsoft TTT and Counter Strike games

• 1 month later...

I like the designs and tech but in the end its all about pipping the ace in the backyard and keeping the neighbors sweet with the relative low noise of the rifle....must be getting considerate in me old age,eh.

On 05/06/2019 at 13:49, Luke85 said:

Even with the rise in its popularity this past decade, airsoft is still a pretty niche hobby. Just curious what it is that drew any of you to it. For me it was a number of things, and suspect pretty similar to what attracted many of you. Im an active person who enjoys guns and shooting, active and strategic games, and living in the UK with our gun laws airsoft at least allows me to have an airsoft arsenal similar to what real steel collection I might have if I lived somewhere like the USA. 

Also if anyone cares to share their views on why airsoft as a hobby seems to have such a negative image from those outside the hobby Id be interested to hear them. I have many hobbies, but only airsoft raises eyebrows when I tell someone its how Im spending my Sunday. Muay Thai, oh you like to punch and kick people, cool. Motorbiking, you like to tear around on 2 wheels strapped on top of an engine, cool. Airsofting though, people either have no clue what it is, or if they do they generally thinks its an odd think for an adult man to want to do. Interested to see what other peoples opinions and take on this are. Do you think its because most people in this country are not use to guns of any sort and don't understand that aspect of it. Do you think people find it a bit silly than grown men (and women) want to play army as they see it???

I was up to 5 firearms, 4 for target and 1 for pest control when I decided to surrender my fac. The police were making it harder to keep firearms and kept reducing the amount of ammunition I was allowed to hold to levels that stopped the purchase of batch tested and matched ammo for target shooting usually a minimum of 5,000 but normally 10,0000. The grounds I used to pest control for farmers also became encroached by housing and people so no longer suitable for an FAC weapon. Of course pistols are not available to the shooting fraternity after Dunblane when Thomas Hamilton shot 16 children and a teacher. We were all vilified and freaks for wanting pistols but we only shot paper targets. I have never felt the need to kill or inflict pain on a fellow human being, having shot firearms from an early age and during most of my life, I am 65 this month. I do at times miss the death penalty for certain criminals and traitors to this country ( I was taught religious education at school by an ex hanging judge, a man I respected) at a time when police were respected.

There is no bang rule at the site I use but I still at times choose not to shoot rather than hurt  at close range. The problem is anything that looks like a gun scares people, I know the local police used to train the firearms team by sending them out to my brother & I when we were rabbiting after we informed them where we would be shooting. The team actually had loaded weapons pointed at us on more than one occasion, very scary. I was camoed up one night and 4 of them almost walked on me, was tempted to shout boo as they past but decided it was safer not to, they did not find me that night and had I been a terrorist we would have been 4 plod down.

Ooh forgot to say how else would I get to shoot my son in law

The short version? 

My 10 year old self(that would have been 1982) would have loved this,so on a Sunday I let him come out and play for 7-8 hours,then I put him away and go back to being me

I think this has been my favourite topic so far I've read all your comments fellas and find you all a top bunch of lads (where are the lasses at?) that I'd be only too happy to shoot/be shot at,we all have our opinions on things to do with the sport but we all have one thing in common we love airsoft and long may that passion continue 

Peace 🖖 

My son in law has been known to phone my wife to ask if I can come out to play!

Archived