What Drew you to airsoft?

Luke85
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Even with the rise in its popularity this past decade, airsoft is still a pretty niche hobby. Just curious what it is that drew any of you to it. For me it was a number of things, and suspect pretty similar to what attracted many of you. Im an active person who enjoys guns and shooting, active and strategic games, and living in the UK with our gun laws airsoft at least allows me to have an airsoft arsenal similar to what real steel collection I might have if I lived somewhere like the USA. 

Also if anyone cares to share their views on why airsoft as a hobby seems to have such a negative image from those outside the hobby Id be interested to hear them. I have many hobbies, but only airsoft raises eyebrows when I tell someone its how Im spending my Sunday. Muay Thai, oh you like to punch and kick people, cool. Motorbiking, you like to tear around on 2 wheels strapped on top of an engine, cool. Airsofting though, people either have no clue what it is, or if they do they generally thinks its an odd think for an adult man to want to do. Interested to see what other peoples opinions and take on this are. Do you think its because most people in this country are not use to guns of any sort and don't understand that aspect of it. Do you think people find it a bit silly than grown men (and women) want to play army as they see it???

I was heavily into nerf in primary school. I always wanted to make them shoot further. Discovered airsoft near the end of primary school through JBBG (ahah yes Jambwow). And so far, nothing shoots further than airsoft atm without being lethal.

ITS THE SOUND OF DA POLIS WOOP WOOP

ah so nostalgic

I used to play paintball and then during one session I saw a bunch of airsofters. Tried it once, liked the atmosphere and the gear and got hooked. Plus I get to play action man in real life lol.

• Supporters

Paintball was too expensive. :P

I couln't care less about real steel shooting, the fun for me in airsoft is outsmarting the opposing team. Being able to do that is what brought me into this.

I had TM's in the very early 90s when I was a teenager and loved them dearly. But then moved on to alcohol and girls.
Years passed.
Then one day, I went to get an airsoft gun to teach my Son how to shoot in the garden. Whilst in the shop I was a little gobsmacked at the sheer scale of what was now available. I was even more gobsmacked when I found out you could pay to shoot other people with them!
So I went to a CQB venue and loved it. Then went to Woodland and loved it even more. That was 18 months and several thousand pounds ago... 
So what drew me to it? I've always shot stuff - anything and everything I could get my hands on.
But targets ended up boring me - so the idea that you could shoot actual people?? And they wouldn't die?? Fuck yeah!!! I was in like Flint! 😄

2 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

I had TM's in the very early 90s when I was a teenager and loved them dearly. But then moved on to alcohol and girls.
Years passed.
Then one day, I went to get an airsoft gun to teach my Son how to shoot in the garden. Whilst in the shop I was a little gobsmacked at the sheer scale of what was now available. I was even more gobsmacked when I found out you could pay to shoot other people with them!
So I went to a CQB venue and loved it. Then went to Woodland and loved it even more. That was 18 months and several thousand pounds ago... 
So what drew me to it? I've always shot stuff - anything and everything I could get my hands on.
But targets ended up boring me - so the idea that you could shoot actual people?? And they wouldn't die?? Fuck yeah!!! I was in like Flint! 😄

Absolutely, I think people really underestimate just how fun it is shooting each other in a game and trying to out maneuver another team rather than just nailing targets all day long

4 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Because it allowed me to bully and hurt people and not get vilified for it. Some weird people even seemed to be thankful for their mistreatment.

Similar to this. Allowed me to shoot people and yeet explosive things at them without going to prison afterwards. Plus I like guns. 

1 hour ago, Luke85 said:

Also if anyone cares to share their views on why airsoft as a hobby seems to have such a negative image from those outside the hobby Id be interested to hear them.

A.) Guns

B.) Dressing up as soldiers, terrorists, contractors etc

C.) Milsim

It was a youtube video that came up in random feed. Had never heard of Airsoft before, I believe it was a sniper video. Likely House Gamers Airsoft. Thought I was watching a highly realistic video game or enactment, before realising it was slinging real bb's. 

I am a huge outdoorsy fan, my main passion is long distance coastal hiking and I love playing the Battlefield series (And Have done since 1942 released) so combining the two appealed to me

First Skirmish was at Bunker 51 with a G36 rental and haven't looked back. Just about to hit my 2nd Airsoft Birthday (10th of June)

• Supporters
15 hours ago, Asomodai said:

It was a youtube video that came up in random feed.

Snap, can't remember which one.  Oh, god, it might even have been Novritsch.  I didn't know?  How could I have known?

Also I used to play dress-up soldiers with swords and axes and bows, but folk who do that are weird, so I thought I'd play dress up-soldiers with toy guns instead.

8 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Also I used to do dress-up soldiers with swords and axes and bows, but folk who do that are weird, so I thought I'd play do dress up-soldiers with toy guns instead.

And I thought airsoft was sad! 😂

Glad I came from jingles and desertfox rather than mr novvy boy.

18 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Snap, can't remember which one.  Oh, god, it might even have been Novritsch.  I didn't know?  How could I have known?

Also I used to do dress-up soldiers with swords and axes and bows, but folk who do that are weird, so I thought I'd play do dress up-soldiers with toy guns instead.

So did I about 20 years ago....but they let me loose with a musket..tee hee hee.

I'd played paintball quite a few times over the years and thought it was fun but never really caught my interest.

Then a few years ago a friend invited me to his birthday game, after that I was hooked.  Now about 4 or 5 years and thousands of pounds later I'm still at it and have introduced others.

I'm not young and not fit (not dead either) but I find myself wondering why younger players struggle with the terrain on site and on night games are all off to sleep not far after midnight!!

Yeah, I'm definitely addicted.

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

To be fair I had to think hard about it as well, it COULD have been old Nov, but I get this feeling it was House Gamers... God I hope so. 

Saw some vids on YT and thought it looked a bit silly because of the crap noise they made and how tacticool some guys were trying to be.

A year or so later I wanted to get some exercise and fencing wasn't doing it for me any more.  So I got a CYMA M4 on a Film/TV defence and went to a game.  Of course I enjoyed it and I also like collecting the weapons and trying them out.  Its great to meet other nutters and play soldier for a few hours...

I'm not a gear whore just a kid in an armoury :D 

My brothers played it, I had never heard of it before and they took me to a skirmish and I loved it (even if it was Bunker 51 :D ) havent looked back. 

The realism of the guns was a big draw but building loadouts got me really into it before I realised it was silly and did not bring much to the game, we went to The Mall (and it became our regular site) and realised it was easier to play with less gear and just found the tenseness of games fun.

Now its more about having/using different types of guns.

I dont get to play much at all (worked out my last game was Jan :( ) but now I play more than my bros who introduced me to the game!

I played Japs & Commandos as a kid

played Paintball between the ages of 16-25

my father started me shooting air rifles by 6~7 yrs old

got my first shotgun at 12 (a 410)

then moved to 12 gauge by early teens and clay pigeons & game shooting. Then a trip to Vegas a few years ago gave me my first experience of proper firearms in The Gun Store, fired some awesome full auto equipment 😎

I got dragged into this recently by a chum who says it helps with his depression (but formed an addiction to buying gear online 🙄)

who doesn’t like dressing up as soldiers, packing guns away and prepping gear the night before!!

If I wasn’t so busy at work, I would be on forums all day 👍

Scout The Doggie

Multitude of reasons. Kinda miss being a squaddie, and I've always been bit of a nerd so upgrading guns scratches that itch.

Plus it's a fun way to meet people and get some exercise, I've never been the sort that likes the usual mundane things that people get up to.

Still learning, still figuring out a loadout I'm happy with but I'm slowly getting there.

Guns.

Well it all started either with duck hunt on the Nes or when we used to play cops and robbers and cowboys and Indians at primary school in the playground with FIF's (finger imitation firearms) . That led on to playing 'the gun game' on and off at a mates house with him and his brother using a bunch of non firing toy RIF's they had, this was always great fun. My dad bought me a metal colt SAA style cap gun maybe at the same time too.

I have always been interested in war history, mainly WW1 and WW2. Only bought my first air rifle a few years ago, now own a few air pistols and like shooting them at different types of targets for a bit of fun. I didn't even know airsoft existed until maybe about 5 years ago and so obviously I jumped straight into that, which I play for fun and not often. Hoping to get my shotgun certificate in the future, which I will mainly be shooting clays with. 

I don't know why I have always been interested in guns but I have. Along with football, guns are possibly the only other thing I have been consistently interested in thinking about it. 

Is anyone still there? 😴 Sorry I could have just left it at guns. 

Always had an interest in Military and Military history. Former RAF pilot (although not for long!!).

The main reason for getting into Airsoft though was I wanted to visit the Operation Overlord (D-Day) Tunnels in Portsmouth and the only way of doing it was playing Airsoft so booked myself up. Was completely blown away by Airsoft and got instantly hooked. I now love, as many above, the weapons, the gear, prepping, stripping. Also for me, it has replaced the adrenaline (although not to the same level) that I lost when I retired from racing cars.

I also watched YouTube videos, initially Novoristch. I really don't know why there is so much hate for him. He is doing what we all love and getting paid for it. In my opinion he, and the plethora of Airsoft YouTubers out there, are responsible for bringing people into this sport which brings, with a bigger market, more products and lower prices so we all benefit. At the end of the day, who is the biggest idiot? The guy with the YouTube channel that works for himself, can surround himself in the hobby that he loves or the guy working 9 - 5, dreaming of playing Airsoft and flaming anyone that has the audacity to put the effort in to a YouTube channel? Just saying 😉

Archived