LMG Help

Guardsman394
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm looking at buying an LMG and I need some pointers on what to go for. 

I'm mainly looking at M249 variants and I can't seem to work out which one is best because there seems to be a lack of reviews and where I can find one it's at least 10 years old which doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence...

At the moment I'm steering towards the  Classic Army MK46 S.P.W. AEG  (https://www.defconairsoft.co.uk/product/classic-army-mk46-s-p-w-aeg-with-box-magazine/)

Any pointers on what to go for and upgrades after purchase would be much appreciated.

• Supporters

Most 249 haven’t changed that much in the past 10yrs so old reviews won’t make feck all difference ! 😂😂

upgrade wise why not just leave it stock for a while and just wait and see what YOU want to change ? You never know the guy who’s advise you take on upgrades may be a total nobber. 

@Druid799 Very true 😂

Are they worth getting? are any of them a complete no go? Looking at the A&K MK46 and the CA MK46 there's  something like a £80 difference.

23 minutes ago, Guardsman394 said:

@Druid799 Very true 😂

Are they worth getting? are any of them a complete no go? Looking at the A&K MK46 and the CA MK46 there's  something like a £80 difference.

If you order an A&K MK43 from Softairgames in san marino its only 230 euros plus 25 euro shipping. It is almost half the price there then anywhere else. I have no idea why this specific model, but its completely legitimate. Also within the EU so no import duty. 

The only thing I suggest you replace initially is the hop unit as all A&K's stock ones are terrible. 

I have one and pretty impressed with the heavy externals. I took apart the gearbox and it was really easy to work on. 

https://www.softairgames.net/en/machine-guns/516-m60-mk43-seal-type-ak-codmk43.html

I have a 2nd hand Classic Army M60 which I bought cheap because I had to fix the ammo box mount.  I bought a replacement gearbox just in case as I also found one cheap but the original worked well.

I did change the hop rubber but not the hop itself.

Shoots OK but only used once for a short time as its so heavy and unwieldy.

4 hours ago, Guardsman394 said:

@Druid799 Very true 😂

The A&K is a clone of the CA. Can't say if the CA is better than the A&K never owned one but i have owned a few A&K which were fine. the biggest issue is the mag which will fail but there are 3rd party box mags which are much better or just re wire the box mag.

1 minute ago, BigStew said:

The A&K is a clone of the CA. Can't say if the CA is better than the A&K never owned one but i have owned a few A&K which were fine. the biggest issue is the mag which will fail but there are 3rd party box mags which are much better or just re wire the box mag.

I have placed an order for the CA and forgot about a battery. The site says its 11v ready but I was wondering what one I should get.

I have placed an order for the CA and forgot about a battery. The site says its 11v ready but I was wondering what one I should get.

I'd suggest to use 7.4v to be safe.

Get the highest mAh you can find.

...and don't forget a good LiPo charger.

(search the forum for recommended)

50 minutes ago, EDcase said:

I'd suggest to use 7.4v to be safe.

Get the highest mAh you can find.

...and don't forget a good LiPo charger.

(search the forum for recommended)

How come only 7.4v? Would it cause issues with the internals if I go to high? And what about the C rating?

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, Guardsman394 said:

How come only 7.4v? Would it cause issues with the internals if I go to high? And what about the C rating?

Support guns aren't about massively high rate of fire so a 7.4v is plenty. I run a 1800mAh 20C battery in my M249, if you're using the loud button all day it may be worth getting a second battery and swapping half way through.

@Lozart Fair enough... I was a bit surprised because it's the same battery I use in my rifle. So a 7.4v 2600mAh 20c LiPo crane battery will be alright?

I would go for a halfway house and use a 9.9v life. No fiddling around like you have to with a Lipo. Has better rate of fire and single shot respond then a 7.4 but without the stress, gearbox and contact ruining of an 11.1v

@Asomodai I guess it's lucky my charger does Life as well

@Asomodai

How are hobykings batteries? My usual sites seem to be limited on their selection of Life batteries.

This seemed to be the best I found:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1500mah-life-3s-9-9v-transmitter-pack-taranis-compatible-1.html

Archived