A small part of me died

Druid799
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

@Resistor170's post still applies imo!

I do get where you're coming from, but I argue that it's a *branch* of progression you can choose to go down. Plenty of competitive opportunities (milsims etc.) which don't place any emphasis on roleplay. 

Aren’t mil-sim games one GIANT role play ?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

I do get where you're coming from, but I argue that it's a *branch* of progression you can choose to go down. Plenty of competitive opportunities (milsims etc.) which don't place any emphasis on roleplay. 

Never really thought of milsims as competitive. I wouldn't know personally but it did always seem people attended for the larp aspect rather than winning.

1 minute ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Haha funny got a dirty look from someone when I described milsim as roleplay/cosplay when asked to describe it by a new starter,I mean the guy had shit tons of expensive kit on including £1000 plus RIF and glow sticks even though it was a beautiful sunny day(?).I mean to hurt his feelings but come on we're all just dressing up in costumes playing silly games....right?

• Supporters
1 minute ago, StayOnTarget said:

Haha funny got a dirty look from someone when I described milsim as roleplay/cosplay when asked to describe it by a new starter,I mean the guy had shit tons of expensive kit on including £1000 plus RIF and glow sticks even though it was a beautiful sunny day(?).I mean to hurt his feelings but come on we're all just dressing up in costumes playing silly games....right?

I say it’s the biggest role play there is in airsofting ! BUT so what ? As you say bud we’re all dressing up to shoot each other and one would think the moment you pick up any gun of any sort to engage another team it becomes role play , if I shoot you first then your ‘dead’ and out , so you’ve taken on the role of the dead combatant (as would I if you got me first) so i’d say that’s the definition of it in a nutshell ?

1 minute ago, Druid799 said:

I say it’s the biggest role play there is in airsofting ! BUT so what ? As you say bud we’re all dressing up to shoot each other and one would think the moment you pick up any gun of any sort to engage another team it becomes role play , if I shoot you first then your ‘dead’ and out , so you’ve taken on the role of the dead combatant (as would I if you got me first) so i’d say that’s the definition of it in a nutshell ?

Had to look this up copy/paste as a tad tippsy

Role-playing is the changing of one's behaviour to assume a role, either unconsciously to fill a social role, or consciously to act out an adopted role.

Yeah its all just a lark really,I'm off indoor bouldering in the morning thats people climbing up 5-9 meter walls covered in coloured plastic to the passer by,see where I'm coming from? Great topic BTW dude got some interesting insight into how people view the sport 🖖 Right I'm off to check out some videos that the "roleplay" search brought up😉

2 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Aren’t mil-sim games one GIANT role play ?

Depends on your definition I guess, I can see where you're coming from but I guess when I think of roleplay I imagine something more akin to larping, pretending to be a specific person, making a character for yourself etc, not really my bag - depending on the milsim you go to I find people tend to work far more in a team than they would at a walkon, meaning you can try different tactics/pushes/etc. Then again I haven't got many milsim events under my belt yet so I'll defer if my idea of roleplay is what goes on sometimes. 

Then again maybe that's common at normal walkons and the lack of a team is hurting me :P

I like it, looks like a lot of fun.

Milsim is role-play , you are playing the role of a military soldier or faction. Im sure there are a lot of milsim 'soldiers' that wouldn't admit it though.

Its like those dudes that dress up and run around forests pretending to be.... oh wait.

On 07/06/2019 at 20:01, Aengus said:

oop had competitive in my head too. Will edit.

Maybe I didn't make my point crystal clear, it was relating to how someone's physical fitness condition would 'naturally' dictate what hobbies they are interested in. I would say my natural body condition through work and motabalism - if that's how to say it - would be perfect for long distance running or racing push bikes etc, but I have absolutely zero interest in those sports. Yes, I would never make a rugby player 😂, but to think it's natural to be interested in things just because of your body type is bizarre. Like you don't know what to like so you look at your body type for help. Am I allowed to like something like poker?... Remember that would mean I'd sit on my arse not moving much for hours on end. What you said just came across to me like you think airsoft is more like a job than a hobby. 

Edit: or maybe you are right and the reason I find most stuff on tv boring or shit is actually because I'm too fit to be sitting down for too long and my body is telling me to get up and run up and down the stairs 50 times as fast as I can

Body types clearly dictate interests

For example a giant muscular strongman like Geoff Capes would find budgies boring, and would probably accidentally crush any that he touched

Or people can have many interests for many reasons. 

AD05B016-537A-414C-B708-80BA9365B41E.jpeg

23 hours ago, Tommikka said:

It’s not entirely a joke

Well, it's a small difference of views between us then. I think for me anyway, it wouldn't be a natural progression as its too competitive for what I like about airsoft. But I do understand where you are coming from if you wanted to take the path best suited to your physicality, I just know for me it's not about that

1 hour ago, Resistor170 said:

Well, it's a small difference of views between us then. I think for me anyway, it wouldn't be a natural progression as its too competitive for what I like about airsoft. But I do understand where you are coming from if you wanted to take the path best suited to your physicality, I just know for me it's not about that

It was a point being made - and we are probably making the same point 

You are not interested in competitive airsoft

Its not necessarily that you are incapable of going that way, but you aren’t interested 

I’m not interested in playing tournaments, but I am interested in trying every form of paintball (and I have done so, including playing every style, and organising/photographing/supporting others with most styles, particularly in milestone years)

I have not played airsoft, but I have experienced it as a potential interest in a similar ‘shooting People’ game, I have organised/photographed/supported airsoft events.

I’m not in tip top condition and I have competed at a regional & national level in paintball tournaments.  I have also held my own (to a degree) up against division 1 and elite players - along with the rest of the team at a far higher level then me.

I did it for both the experience and in support of the people in the team.

Other than just the experience and some bragging rights it reinvigorated my skills and fixed bad lazy habits

I can now hit a barn door left handed, and I have better opened my eyes to assess threats and take risks again.

6 hours ago, BibbsOnTour said:

lucky goblin!

Nope I think I was the lucky one that was some seriously nice ALE!!!! I was drinking really you lot are just a bunch of seedy perverts.....probably why I enjoy this forum so much 👍 

so just a thought (hijacking thread) about milism/role/cosplay....

i rock up in full Corinthian leather with hood, two (wobbly) swords and two dessert eagle xix top railed pistols and only claim hits for head shots....

do you let me play as Deadpool? 

i am mostly joking about this

• 1 month later...
  • Supporters
On 09/06/2019 at 12:40, Tommikka said:

Body types clearly dictate interests

For example a giant muscular strongman like Geoff Capes would find budgies boring, and would probably accidentally crush any that he touched

Drifting though the forum (as one does when there’s bog all on tv) re-read this for a giggle and came across this post I’d missed , SO further to this fine chaps point .

i once worked with a plastic surgeon who was a good 6.6ft easily 20+stone had played semi-professional rugby for a good few yrs (even had a welsh cap) and his specialized field was repairing nerves ! You’d walk in to Dave’s theatre to see this mountain of surgical blue sat with his face glued to a quarter of a mill’s worth of microscope re-attaching nerves in a hand that had been completely severed from the arm in an accident , and his hands were the size of the plate your granny served the turkey on at Christmas ! 

So I’d most definitely agree body size/shape/fitness has rock all to do with life interest choices .👍

Only reason you could believe that is if you’ve only watched professional sports. Body type definitely doesn’t define your interests but in terms of sport at least it definitely effects your ability. At grassroots you see plenty ill fits 😂.

• 1 month later...
  • Supporters

So thought I’d revive this one rather than start a fresh topic , been having a ‘discussion’ shall we say with a chap on a Facebook group about this hot little topic after someone posted up the obligatory “what does everyone think of speedsoft ?” Shit storm inducing question . Now this isn’t a what do you think of speedsoft question (that’s been done to death already) this is to ask is it compatible with a bog standard open walk on scurmish gameday ? 

so I voiced my opinion that there’s definitely is a place for it but I don’t think it’s compatible with an average walk-on scurmish day AND this nobber came back straight off with the usual  “not our problem if your crap blah blah blah” answer .

I gave my reasons why I think they don't mix , on the one side you’ve got a small group of super fit VERY win as quickly as possible at any cost orientated players and on the other you have the majority of the players who aren’t that fit/young/must win orientated or just not able to sprint like an energizer bunny on speed ! So if your going to have a small group finishing all the games in under 40secs every time the marshal shouts “game on !” then very quickly the rest of the players are getting well pissed off over this situation ? and he came back with ? “tough ! either step up your game or go home !” Yea right very intelligent reply ! 🤦‍♂️ Then said to him ok how much you going to enjoy your next gameday when you turn up and you’ve got 5or6 speedsofters and no one else because all the rest have basically said “f**k that shit I’m going somewhere else so I can actually play the game before someone shouts “game over !” ? 

Hasn’t replied to that yet , funnily enough! 😉

just wondering what everyone on here’s feelings on it are ? 

• Supporters

I very much don't like speedsoft, but have no problem with them.

And I must agree with the guy. If you are not good enough then it shouldn't be about restricting the ones who are. It's the same with sniping which I'm much interested in. I've spent years trying to be better and I spend quite a few hours a week to improve my gear and knowledge. The work I put in makes me a more effective player than the one who just turns up. Same with speedsofters. They are more fit, faster, have better reflexes and better aim than others, that's why they are better. Should we play one hand tied behind our backs to be on the same level as the weakest player on site? No, definitely not.

But the casual players or who are just starting to put in the work should enjoy the game too, no doubt about that.

IMO the sites should do their best to make games that are enjoyable for all levels of players. They should make games that have hard and easy objectives and spread the players' levels between the teams evenly. They should make an objective where the speedsofters have their fun, an objective where we can be sneaky sneaky and normal ones for normal people. It's not easy to set this up and judge the playerbase on the day to adjust to the numbers present, but this is what they are paid for.

• Supporters

while I'm not a fan of speedsoft per-se, unless your playing at a dedicated speedsoft arena, then the term only relates to a play style & mindset.

with that in mind, I highly doubt that said players will dominate most sites or scenarios, in fact I'd go as far to say they'd often be at a disadvantage against many of us more pedestrian sneaky mofo's, unless they can move faster than 350fps ?

The site you play at definitely affects the type of players you meet. I have occasionally seen speedsofters at woodland or outdoor CQB games but they tend to play a lot more like regular players when the games are longer and there's less chance to catch your breath and rearm between games

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Samurai said:

I very much don't like speedsoft, but have no problem with them.

And I must agree with the guy. If you are not good enough then it shouldn't be about restricting the ones who are. It's the same with sniping which I'm much interested in. I've spent years trying to be better and I spend quite a few hours a week to improve my gear and knowledge. The work I put in makes me a more effective player than the one who just turns up. Same with speedsofters. They are more fit, faster, have better reflexes and better aim than others, that's why they are better. Should we play one hand tied behind our backs to be on the same level as the weakest player on site? No, definitely not.

But the casual players or who are just starting to put in the work should enjoy the game too, no doubt about that.

Not saying players should be restricted by the site for being ‘too good’ Simply saying would it hurt to hope ALL players on site would show a little bit of consideration to everyone else and not just act like it’s there own personal training ground especially if asked too ease up a bit , (we’ve all seen players asked to swap teams due to how effective they were to even things up so I’d say same thing) it’s easy enough to say improve your game but no amount of training or willpower is going to allow a 45yr old to compete in a foot race with a 20somthing speed merchant is it ?

my point comes about due to a gameday I was at recently , when ever there was a capture the objective game there was a group of lads who just took off at a hell of a rate of knots got there first took the objective and with much hollering and hi five’ing that was game over before most players have even got half way in to the game zone , now I know that’s the point of the game but they just turned it in to a foot race with barely a shot fired by anyone and when the subject was broached with them the attitude was we’ve paid our money as well so tuff , we’re here to win . That is the bit I find incompatible with a walk on gameday .

Do agree though when there was a moving objective game then yes there speed advantage was canceled out and there racing guns weren’t much use either . This was a woodland site , CQB sites are a totally different ball game .

is there not space in a well-known day to have an ultra small map for a game not unlike speed soft? What about a quick game after lunch before the 'main' afternoon? 

At a site that reverses each game 'winning' is all about how quickly you can take each objective isn't?

• Supporters

See the problem is they'd rather win than have a good fight, whereas today i have no idea which games we won or lost, but i know there was some good fightin regardless.

Thing is in that case its up to the site to change up the game modes to stop that happening, its the opposite end of the spectrum to a grindfest and just as annoying.

Switch it up to a fall back game and let the older players get themselves nicely perched in the bushes and see how well speedsoft tactics work against that.

Archived