Air and Armour Support

Hicks15193
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Nice little ideas, but before going anywhere near a game there are so many issues

Ive not fully watched the video just now, but I’ve either seen it before or have seen the Warthog build.  (I’m currently sat in a field on 3g where you seem to get rationed access of 5 minutes per turn)

Other than worrying about something even working on the day, and let alone maintaining operator control there’s still safety issues of the equipment crashing on someone, a power line, let alone the delay in visuals from the equipment getting to the operator, their decision time and the commands getting back to the equipment.

We’ve got an RC vehicle delivering pyrotechnics,  had a multitude of drones and had a autonomous sentry gun.

For the sentry we would have someone always in charge to kill the system, and a multitude of fail safes.

In 10 years of events, we’ve had eyes on these kinds of equipment, but it’s still going to be a no from me on anything that I could consider safe / reasonably mitigated to put among people 

If you want vehicles then there are ways of getting real & mini vehicles into the right types (and scale) of game - all with their own issues, and you can also have ‘simulated’ effects.  An example for air strikes is to circle an area with marshalls carrying umbrellas.  When the umbrellas go up everyone on the circle is bombed.  I have seen players seriously pissed off because they didn’t listen to warnings of other players about the circling umbrella marshalls 

I've got to be honest, I just want to build the plane to fly without the weaponry, looks like a hell of a lot of fun!

On 01/06/2019 at 11:07, Rogerborg said:

I can hear @Seth_K getting aroused.

A-10s make me cream haha!

On 01/06/2019 at 18:57, Tommikka said:

Nice little ideas, but before going anywhere near a game there are so many issues

Ive not fully watched the video just now, but I’ve either seen it before or have seen the Warthog build.  (I’m currently sat in a field on 3g where you seem to get rationed access of 5 minutes per turn)

Other than worrying about something even working on the day, and let alone maintaining operator control there’s still safety issues of the equipment crashing on someone, a power line, let alone the delay in visuals from the equipment getting to the operator, their decision time and the commands getting back to the equipment.

We’ve got an RC vehicle delivering pyrotechnics,  had a multitude of drones and had a autonomous sentry gun.

For the sentry we would have someone always in charge to kill the system, and a multitude of fail safes.

In 10 years of events, we’ve had eyes on these kinds of equipment, but it’s still going to be a no from me on anything that I could consider safe / reasonably mitigated to put among people 

If you want vehicles then there are ways of getting real & mini vehicles into the right types (and scale) of game - all with their own issues, and you can also have ‘simulated’ effects.  An example for air strikes is to circle an area with marshalls carrying umbrellas.  When the umbrellas go up everyone on the circle is bombed.  I have seen players seriously pissed off because they didn’t listen to warnings of other players about the circling umbrella marshalls 

Well...

First off, if anyone starts waving an umbrella at me saying that I just got bombed they can f**k right off.

Secondly... you know what, if I start talking about 5G and AI it'll just annoy everyone. It was going to be a real classic Seth_K post.

59 minutes ago, Seth_K said:

First off, if anyone starts waving an umbrella at me saying that I just got bombed they can f**k right off.

It does of course relate to the game/event being played - and especially to the rules written by the organisers of the event.

In the case I refer to there was a hill, it wasn’t a very special hill and had no objective or advantage to the game other than being a patch of high ground.

The ‘front line’ had been pushed by the opposition and there was a battle going on with us holding the hill due to the benefit of the high ground and the range & observation it gave those on the hills.

An airstrike was called, and word passed around (I was on the control radios, so I was calling the nearby players to steadily fall back)

One player gave me your response, based on holding the hill and not giving an inch.

So he was left to his one man battle holding the hill as others slowly dropped back, drawing the opposition forward.

The Marshalls got their umbrellas out and Player X stomped off in a strop as the rest of us ploughed forward through the gaping hole in the front line, retaking the hill and beyond and behind the rest of the line

It’s a way of managing game play and giving tactics to each side, not really a thing for a standard skirmish day, but a simulation factor in a bigger themed game

2 hours ago, Tommikka said:

It does of course relate to the game/event being played - and especially to the rules written by the organisers of the event.

In the case I refer to there was a hill, it wasn’t a very special hill and had no objective or advantage to the game other than being a patch of high ground.

The ‘front line’ had been pushed by the opposition and there was a battle going on with us holding the hill due to the benefit of the high ground and the range & observation it gave those on the hills.

An airstrike was called, and word passed around (I was on the control radios, so I was calling the nearby players to steadily fall back)

One player gave me your response, based on holding the hill and not giving an inch.

So he was left to his one man battle holding the hill as others slowly dropped back, drawing the opposition forward.

The Marshalls got their umbrellas out and Player X stomped off in a strop as the rest of us ploughed forward through the gaping hole in the front line, retaking the hill and beyond and behind the rest of the line

It’s a way of managing game play and giving tactics to each side, not really a thing for a standard skirmish day, but a simulation factor in a bigger themed game

That does sound quite cool.

Funny all this came up today.

Air and Armour will be a major part of the next generation of Airsoft, on the milsim anyway.

But it must be balanced. They can be made rare and powerful or powerful with an equal number of counters which then brings it all down to skill of use.

Archived