New to the sport, impressed by the tech.

Stevo4345
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just been unboxing my first proper AEG today, a Specna Arms SA-E03. Also got a G&T tracer suppressor along with some RZR 0.2 red tracers.

Have to say I wasnt expecting the detection tech in the suppressor, thought the damn thing was broken when I got batteries in it and switched it on and all I could see was a weak arsed red glow in the tracer unit. Dropped a couple of tracers through it to see if they would get glowing and was surprised by the UV pulse. Makes sense really as it's less likely to give away your position when not in use but still, clever stuff.

The RIF, or in my case IF, also impressed, haven't yet managed to get it fired somewhere to set up the hop up, but in the confines of the double garage test firing showed the trigger response is a lot sharper than I had imagined after reading through many forum posts. Perhaps due to the Gate AXR MOSFET and deans wired 7.4 LiPo battery, but double taps on semi are crisp and following each other nose to tail like two dogs in a pub garden!

All metal receiver is solid, though the front hand guard lower half was loose in its mounting, quickly sorted with some invisibly installed packing.

The stock has a slight wobble side to side, again due to a low tolerance fit, I'll get something to sort that too.

Did my first tinkering DIY, though not on the gun. A Nuprol Stanag speed loader was refusing to feed, took it to bits and it turns out the mould flashings were blocking the feed chute. A bit of Stanley knife trimming and all was good, the 2 supplied mid caps being filled quickly, oh so much more quickly than the horrible spring BB guns of before.

I also had my first dirty look from the missus when she put 2 and 2 together and figured out just what those account payments were for! 

Could it be I'm falling for Airsoft, lord help me!

Nope, you're not falling for it - you've already fallen for it! 😂

Having sunk well into four figures into airsoft so far (nowhere near as much as some others on here) I can assure you that you'll be getting more and more of those dirty looks too! 😉

And it's good to see someone new to this who's obviously spent some quality time reading up on everything an learning properly, we need more like you. 👍

I have to say I think I have been bitten deeply by this bug. Got my first skirmish day booked for tomorrow at Humber Airsoft, really looking forward to it but slightly trepiditious as well. I am no spring chicken, but looking at many you-tube bids it seems I'm not the only middle aged guy wanting to play pew pew! My only hope is that a decent chest rig will hide the belly bulge but I fear it will only accentuate it! 

Embrace it, it is exercise! It is my one sure fire excuse I use to skirmish...

Don't worry about your age or condition, you'll likely find that you're not the oldest and you'll be surprised at how well you keep up, although you will definitely feel it the following day.

You've probably already noticed that there's a wide range of ages and physiques on here - which is pretty much what you'll find in game too.

By the end of the day you'll have started to make some new friends and, hopefully, have thoroughly enjoyed yourself.  You'll then go home and immediately come back on here wondering what you're going to buy next. 😁

Philby21, all too true I think. One thing I've already noticed, again in online videos, the AEG's have an electrical whining firing note, but there's something, either HPA or GBB, that makes a very satisfying sounding metallic clatter as it's cycling. 

Already finding myself drawn to it based on the sound alone. I'm sure whatever sounds like that will not be the cheapest!

19 minutes ago, Stevo4345 said:

Philby21, all too true I think. One thing I've already noticed, again in online videos, the AEG's have an electrical whining firing note, but there's something, either HPA or GBB, that makes a very satisfying sounding metallic clatter as it's cycling. 

Already finding myself drawn to it based on the sound alone. I'm sure whatever sounds like that will not be the cheapest!

That would be, more than likely, GBB. Which unfortunately, isn't the cheapest nor the most beginner friendly. Stay with your AEG, something reliable that just works pretty much no matter what, then try other options like GBB so if they fuck about you still have an AEG to fall back to.

1 hour ago, Stevo4345 said:

I felt the same way, until i A) used an AEG for my first few games and B) realised how much a good GBBR and mags cost and weigh. Then you’ve got the fact you’re massively outgunned in terms of ammo capacity. 

I wont even entertain the idea of a GBBR now 😂

Thought as much, I do like the sound of an NA V8 revving it's nuts off, but I haven't got a Ferrari on the drive.

At the end of the day you can spend whatever you think you can afford, just like golf, just because you have a 600 quid titanium hand forged by virgins driver in the bag doesn't mean your automatically winning Opens.

Mind you, if it sticks I'm sure the collection will grow! Gonna keep it simple to start with and see how it goes.

• Supporters

I got attached to a GBBR-only squad while sniping in a milsim.

We got caught in an extended firefight while holding an objective.

After about two minutes, I was the only one still shooting.  I ended up throwing my MP5K to a squad mate just to get some more rounds going out.

Gas guns are brilliant fun, while the fun lasts. But your Specna offers far more pew-per-pound (cash and mass).

All that said, if you end up doing any CQB, a gas pistol is a real giggle.  It's all good, and is long as you're grinning, you're winning.

59 minutes ago, Stevo4345 said:

....Gonna keep it simple to start with and see how it goes.

😂

That's what I said a few years ago...

I keep feeling that I don't want/need any more but somehow... even my 'updated' weapon list is out of date

As Rogerborg said, a pistol is a good (affordable) bit of GBB fun

@EDcase I would definitely be partial to a GBB pistol, guess it's the entry level to get you cued into the black magic voodoo witchery that goes with gas operated pew pew.

GBB pistols are pretty simple but are huge fun, usually much less range/accuracy than a AEG or GBBR but can be great even in a normal skirmish (i.e. not CQB).

First thing you'll probably do after you've played is to switch to .25 (at least) BBs instead of .2s.  They'll give you slightly better accuracy and range without much sacrifice in travel time.  Some AEGs (and GBB pistols) are okay to run up to .3s but the vast majority will handle .25s with no issues.

I do actually have some .25's already. I'm holding off though as I'll need to check chronograph readings. Certificate from Specns was 375, but Patrol base certificate says 290 so it's been changed by them. Need to up that s little to 330/330 but want to see with my own eyes first.

Archived