Gumshields

EvilMonkee
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have unfortunately lost a bit of front tooth this last weekend gone.  I was at a Cold War event, stuck my head over a barrel and got shot in the mouth losing about 1/5th off one of my front teeth.  Yes, my fault for not wearing face pro etc etc and it was a risk I was willing to accept. 

Now, the question I have is this.  Are gumshields an effective means of stopping damage to teeth in situations where for historical accuracy (whether you like it or not thats the reason) you do not want to wear a face mask?

If they are deemed to be so, has anyone got any recommendations for particular brands?

Yes mate, if you want to buy off the high street try “Shock Doctor”.

However if you want something literally ten times better that will allow you to speak and shout to some degree, breath easily and not really notice you’re wearing one, then spend a few quid and get your dentist to make one for you. They are about £30-£60 but are soooo much better. 

I got got my dentist to make mine years ago as I was sick of ALL the high street mould in boiling water items. Some are ok at best but compared to a properly fitted gummy for your own teeth made by your dentist they are truly poo.

Effectiveness?  Realise they are primarily designed for impact sports so may not afford that much protection.  But still more than nothing....

• Supporters

I wouldn't trust it 100% but it's better than nothing. It's not exactly designed for Airsoft in mind. As for brands have a look into SISU. 

If you're worried about losing a tooth it's best just to use mesh lowers, despite whatever reasons you have for not wanting to. 

I can't stand the things, personally. I just keep my big mouth shut and that's worked so far. I'm sure I'll change my tune when I'm missing half my front row. :lol:

• Supporters

Yes it’ll protect your teeth BUT also means you’ve now got a relatively hard surface for your lips to get nicely shredded against ? 

Me personally I just do not play with out lower face pro of some sort, wether mesh and cordura with a boonie or ball cap or a fixed mandible shield on one of my helmets .

Quite frankly if someone was to give me ANY kind of grief over a mesh mask with historical kit I’d tell them to go shove there head up there own arse and royally fornicate off ! 🤬

Oh noone would give me grief its just a personal choice.

• Supporters

I have cheap ebay gumshield for kickboxing that's formed in hot water.

I can't hold anything in my mouth or I throw up. I found that if I cut the rear part of it about a cm shorter then I can keep it in for any length of time.

I don't use it for airsoft though and it doesn't protect the lower teeth. I tried one that did but it was hard to breathe in that.

If you want to breathe and talk to people without dribbling all over the floor the only real option is a fitted gum shield. You can get away with the pricier boil n bites but they're not comfy for great amounts of times and I guarantee you'll spend all your day finding moments to take it out.

Archived