Airsoft repairs, servicing, tech etc.

BALDYMONSTER
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Is there an actual qualification for this?

14 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Yes, but it mostly teaches you how to have a Facebook page and a logo made in Word 2007.

Lol, I thought as tbh.

• Supporters

not heard of anything remotely like a formal qualification for teching.

it's pretty much a rep based thing.

tbh i just go for doing it myself, i like tinkering and learning about this sort of thing, plus it saves a fortune on getting mods done.

5 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

tbh i just go for doing it myself, i like tinkering and learning about this sort of thing, plus it saves a fortune on getting mods done.

This. Learn by doing 

Ha!

I'm sure someone could put together a course and exam.

Get a number that you can then check on against a database... where have I heard this before?

Manufacturers can and do run tech servicing courses.

But with airsoft primarily being Far East manufactured with multiple importers there may not be the business (and potential techs willing to pay) to make it fully viable

The primary paintball manufacturers & brands have proper representation in the U.K. and Europe, with manufacturer & main dealer tech support at major events, training courses run at events, and in their factories.

I have a factory qualified Eclipse tech in my team and if the dates had worked for me then I would also be an Eclipse tech paid for by another team mate (The price of the training included a free gun, so he would have paid and I hand him the gun)

If a random person came up with a course as opposed to a manufacturer then the question would be their qualification to hand out qualifications 

Modifying, servicing, and fixing fast cars and bikes are my thing. Not sure how that would transfer into fixing airsoft guns.

Thank you.

23 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

Manufacturers can and do run tech servicing courses.

But with airsoft primarily being Far East manufactured with multiple importers there may not be the business (and potential techs willing to pay) to make it fully viable

The primary paintball manufacturers & brands have proper representation in the U.K. and Europe, with manufacturer & main dealer tech support at major events, training courses run at events, and in their factories.

I have a factory qualified Eclipse tech in my team and if the dates had worked for me then I would also be an Eclipse tech paid for by another team mate (The price of the training included a free gun, so he would have paid and I hand him the gun)

If a random person came up with a course as opposed to a manufacturer then the question would be their qualification to hand out qualifications 

Yeah, it has to be manufacturer-led.

Team?

18 minutes ago, BALDYMONSTER said:

Modifying, servicing, and fixing fast cars and bikes are my thing. Not sure how that would transfer into fixing airsoft guns.

Thank you.

Same business as me. 

It transfers pretty well. Take one apart and you’ll realise how bloody simple they really are when you compare them to cars/bikes. 

1 hour ago, Seth_K said:

Yeah, it has to be manufacturer-led.

Team?

TFD / Task Force Delta .... not airsofters, but we have run airsoft events 

5 hours ago, proffrink said:

Yes, but it mostly teaches you how to have a Facebook page and a logo made in Word 2007.

Word 2007??????????

Corel Draw surely 

7 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

TFD / Task Force Delta .... not airsofters, but we have run airsoft events 

Word 2007??????????

Corel Draw surely 

Nice, so you run reenactments then?

delta kit, NODs, the full works?

52 minutes ago, Seth_K said:

Nice, so you run reenactments then?

delta kit, NODs, the full works?

No, not re-enactments 

I don’t think the cartels & Somali pirates really muscled info the drugs & arms trades in Afghanistan , or that Maggie let the Argentinians have the Falklands thus requiring a British Invasion via a beach assault 30 years later for the newly discovered oil fields. 

We run scenarios, so themed games.

We aren’t immersed in re-enactment 

There is a back story for the origin of TFDs name & use of Takhur Ghar as our first event with one of our founder members experiences in Afghanistan and contact with the US, but we say no more (for a few reasons including that I would now make mistakes in the telling)

2 hours ago, BALDYMONSTER said:

If you can deal with a bike you can deal with an airsoft gearbox. The skills are different but it's the same deal. Put it back together the way you took it to bits.

Some of the components are small, Some are spring loaded. Different gearboxes even of the same version can be wildly different to put together. Some will be far more difficult than others just for how the springs sit in the box.

If you really want to play and don't want to mess up a gun then AK2M4 sell a complete V2 gearbox for £45. It's a decent gearbox, and you can use it as a spare engine to tinker with.

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/gearboxes-complete/ec-complete-gearbox-qd-v2-rear

Once you've opened a gearbox and played about you will have more idea about what is involved. It's not difficult, but it can be tedious. Learning what things should feel like is the hardest part as there are no set tolerances, and you can't just look in a book and get gap and torque settings.

10 hours ago, Tommikka said:

No, not re-enactments 

I don’t think the cartels & Somali pirates really muscled info the drugs & arms trades in Afghanistan , or that Maggie let the Argentinians have the Falklands thus requiring a British Invasion via a beach assault 30 years later for the newly discovered oil fields. 

We run scenarios, so themed games.

We aren’t immersed in re-enactment 

There is a back story for the origin of TFDs name & use of Takhur Ghar as our first event with one of our founder members experiences in Afghanistan and contact with the US, but we say no more (for a few reasons including that I would now make mistakes in the telling)

That is some great alternative history right there, haha!

I saw that ASPUK are running tech tuition sessions, you tell them what you want to learn and they teach you (think it was £20 or £30 per hour but don't quote me on that).

They're a fantastic shop with a great reputation, based in Sheffield. 

• Supporters

ASG offer “factory” training, and any of their products shouldn’t have warranty work carried out by anyone other than someone trained by them. 

To be honest, you couldn’t make an “Airsoft Tech” qualifications because there are so many variants of everything. 

Perhaps you could make a V2 course, V3 course, HPA course, Gas Pistol course etc, but to do it all in one would take ages and no customer would be willing to pay the extra £4/hour labour rate to allow companies to send there techs to do this.

20 hours ago, callumbagshaw said:

I saw that ASPUK are running tech tuition sessions, you tell them what you want to learn and they teach you (think it was £20 or £30 per hour but don't quote me on that).

They're a fantastic shop with a great reputation, based in Sheffield. 

My mate had this email 

B5034766-DDFC-48EF-B1C9-D5703A2DE79B.jpeg

• Supporters

He may have Airsoft paperwork, but he does not have a clue how to use spellcheck.

😂😂 he did resend the email with correct spelling shortly after 

AF0D8DDC-6500-497F-88AA-63DE27545FC2.jpeg

The guy's running a shop, employing and teaching several people, raising a family and putting out constant content on social media. I don't think he's too concerned about a mistaken keystroke. 

Ah well, let's stay true to the general attitude of the forum  these days: "pick up on minor, meaningless details - avoid being helpful, stay specifically OFF topic, and buy a TM recoil, strip it down and completely rebuild it so we can all be friends"

1 hour ago, callumbagshaw said:

stay specifically OFF topic

Come on, going off topic is a long held tradition here, I'd be disappointed to find a topic with more than a handful of replies that hasn't gone off at a tangent! 😂

I'm more curious about his statement "qualified owner with paper work to prove", what are these qualifications and who provided them?  With airsoft being such a niche hobby I'd much rather go on personal (or as personal as this place gets) recommendation

If manufacturers are running courses then they're likely to be dedicated to their own brand of kit, this won't cover aftermarket modifications or upgrades and, as a lot of us on here know already, that can be a very much trial and error thing.  Basics like stripping down, opening a gearbox (without firing bits all over the room), lubrication, shimming, adjusting motor height etc are fair enough, if that's the sort of thing being taught.

1 hour ago, callumbagshaw said:

stay specifically OFF topic

Yeah, my thread on kit went in the wrong direction.

I wanted to know about specific items on one's person that are not needed, it wasn't a general dig at what people wear.

Back to the topic, lol, considering how many RIFs players tend to own I wouldn't be surprised that there are loads of work for techs.

A service to match your needs (problem, brand, etc) to the right tech would be a nice start, independent reviews on quality, timeliness, communication, etc.

It would be nice just to know who is out there to be honest.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, callumbagshaw said:

The guy's running a shop, employing and teaching several people, raising a family and putting out constant content on social media

Well, it certainly sounds like he'll  be far too busy to pay attention to the toy guns that he's being paid to work on.  Thanks for confirming that, it's been ever so helpful.

Archived