Safezone aka The Airsoft Catwalk

Seth_Erebor
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've never said this publicly, but is it just me that thinks of Airsoft as a fashion show for camo?

Sure, some go for minimalist gear with function over aesthetics, which is to be applauded.

I'm not one of those people, I don't carry more than I need, but it does need a certain look.

However, there comes a point where unless you're doing a hardcore milsim, you could walk out there a RIF and mags stuffed into your pockets and be just as effective.

So my question is: What do you wear that if you're totally honest with yourself you could do without?

Secondly, what do you carry that you wish you could use? (I see you bolt-cutter carriers out there!)

• Mostly Retired Moderators

I'm forever looking at plate carriers, cool chest rigs and fancy looking tactical equipment, but I never bother with any of it.

It's when you see guys going out with like 7-8 mag pouches, 4 pistol mag pouches, first aid pouch, and then the surgical tape and scissors cable tied to their MOLLE it just seems... silly. 

Too bulky, too heavy and hardly ever necessary.

I have black combat trousers, a green UBACS and a belt rig nowadays - it holds everything I need to take out for a game, everything else is superfluous.

• Head Moderator

I would be just as effective wearing my dressing gown, it is thick material to absorb BB sting, with a high collar for neck &  throat protection, and has a couple of deep pockets for mags.  

• Moderators

i only wear a PC / chest rig to allow me to carry my spare mags, usually 3 or 4 mid caps and radio pouch, most stuff i leave in a bag at the safe zone or in game spawn points.....i used to take spare bb's with me and speed loaders but prefer to take a few mins out and reload before going back in 

occasionally i have a belt with pistol and one spare mag.....but trying to limit what i pack in car as well ! :D:lol:

• Supporters

Equally why should anyone ‘need’ to legitimise what they wear and carry ? 

You want to waddle around the site in so much kit you can hardly move ? Crack on !

you want to run around the site dressed like a chav car thief in a hoodie and tracksuit bottoms ? I’m not gona stop you so again crack on .

Yet again Seth my friend your asking the same bloody question that’s been asked a 100&1 times already and if you did a search you would FIND said 100&1 threads to answer your question  ! 🤦‍♂️

Wear what you want, where you want and how you want.

At the end of the day, we're all old enough to know better, yet we all still pitch up at a site looking like nerds and being nerd-like. No matter what I do, my wife will always roll her eyes, sigh and say "whatever makes you happy".

14 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

You want to waddle around the site in so much kit you can hardly move ? Crack on !

you want to run around the site dressed like a chav car thief in a hoodie and tracksuit bottoms ? I’m not gona stop you so again crack on .

Yet again Seth my friend your asking the same bloody question that’s been asked s 100&1 times already and if you did a search you would FIND said 100&1 threads to answer your question  ! 🤦‍♂️

Totally forgot to do that, my bad.

• Supporters

played last week, thought id go with thigh rigs, but rarely get on with them so ended up with a pistol on my belt, hi cap in my m14 & a spare in my cargo's.

play single shots only so thought if I cant manage with 900 shots then I should prob pack up & take ballet lol.

were plenty of gearqueers playing though, fully loaded up & ready to puke 😉

1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

Yet again Seth my friend your asking the same bloody question that’s been asked s 100&1 times already and if you did a search you would FIND said 100&1 threads to answer your question  ! 🤦‍♂️

I have to admit my first thought was...here we go again....

I only wear a chest rig for my spare mags, I run mid caps so have 6 spares with me. Rarely do I get through them all in a single game, but it does happen. I also then have my side arm with spare mags, these, admittedly, I could plsy perfectly fine without. But they do get used on the odd rare occasion, and to be perfectly honest its fun resorting to your GBB. I do sometimes think I could probably play without a lot of this, id be lighter and potentially more effective. But my mindset is always Id rather have something and not need it than need something and not have it. Im the same with almost everything I do, not just airsoft.

I literally wear the bare minimum: tshirt, jacket, chinos (stretchy and comfortable), tiny harness rig. Nice and lightweight. There's a reason I can bolt around the place and all these heavy farts can't ahahhaha.

But more importantly, I can wear these on public transport bar the rig (that goes in a bag). If I had a car, maybe that would different.

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, AK47frizzle said:

I literally wear the bare minimum: tshirt, jacket, chinos (stretchy and comfortable), tiny harness rig. Nice and lightweight. There's a reason I can bolt around the place and all these heavy farts can't ahahhaha.

But more importantly, I can wear these on public transport bar the rig (that goes in a bag). If I had a car, maybe that would different.

you need a pilgrim TacSac, essentially a small shoulder/messenger bag that converts in to a lightweight chestrig in about 10 seconds, I've got one, its ideal paired with a covert rifle bag , ideal for games in city centres etc.

7 minutes ago, Tackle said:

you need a pilgrim TacSac, essentially a small shoulder/messenger bag that converts in to a lightweight chestrig in about 10 seconds, I've got one, its ideal paired with a covert rifle bag , ideal for games in city centres etc.

Nice idea, but I'd feel a bit itchy carrying that around.

• Supporters

as long as you take the same precautions for any "public transport/space" trip, ie mags & batts out of guns etc, & behave in an orderly fashion, I don't see an issue.

its the idiots that will fuck it up for us, as everyone knows "you cant fix stupid", not even with duct tape 😉

11 minutes ago, Seth_K said:

Nice idea, but I'd feel a bit itchy carrying that around.

8 minutes ago, Tackle said:

as long as you take the same precautions for any "public transport/space" trip, ie mags & batts out of guns etc, & behave in an orderly fashion, I don't see an issue.

its the idiots that will fuck it up for us, as everyone knows "you cant fix stupid", not even with duct tape 😉

I'm such a hypocrite, now I think about it I've travelled with my Eberlestock G4 (in MC...)

• Supporters
4 hours ago, AK47frizzle said:

Yes BUT as long as there field craft skills are good enough then those ‘heavy farts’ don’t need to bolt around the site like a demented loon do they ? Just wait for the targets to run in to there field of fire . 😉

Aahh now it becomes clearer , public transport scum !

Once you’ve got your own car you’ll soon be carrying more kit than a geardo from Geardostan attending the 1st international geardo convention ! 🤣🤣

The game would be pretty bland if everyone was dressed and kitted up exactly the same, but no less fun in my opinion. I never carry anything I don't use and sometimes less than would be practical and so it's normally pretty minimal but do wear different camos because I think camos are cool, damn cool. 

To answer your questions, 

Firstly, I don't need any camouflage or magazine pouches, underwear or face protection. 

Secondly, n/a

• Supporters

Exactly the same argument can be used for the guns we use as well , why lump an M60 around when a stubby M4 will do exactly the same job , why buy a Dragunov when a vsr looking gun does the same job and is lighter to carry ?

Take speedball markers for instance , there built purely to deliver snot ball down range as quickly as possibly there’s no consideration for aesthetics at all , purely function , like this one .

So why do we us ‘gun’ looking guns then and not a simple hopper/barrel/compressed air delivery system  ? Would be a much more efficient system BUT using it would be an absolutely soulless experience.

48AF14B1-B50B-4D7F-AED4-CF02441FAB48.jpeg

Wouldnt call it a fashion parade for wearing camo.  We play a game where we often hide in bushes and undergrowth so camo is a logical thing to get for a potential stealth advantage.

The other side is that some people enjoy building load outs and hunting down obscure camos and equipment.  

Personally if everyone just went in jeans, hoodie and walking boots i would find the experience at game days much less enjoyable.  Plus if the rifs look realistic is it bad to want to at least imitate the people who would use them? Unless somali pirate is the desired loadout.

3 minutes ago, kasaran said:

The other side is that some people enjoy building load outs and hunting down obscure camos and equipment.

I get a lot of satisfaction when I put together a loadout how I like it. It's normally something that takes a fair while and far too much thought goes into it for something that ends up so simple but the end product is denifinitely satisfying.

9 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Exactly the same argument can be used for the guns we use as well , why lump an M60 around when a stubby M4 will do exactly the same job , why buy a Dragunov when a vsr looking gun does the same job and is lighter to carry ?

Take speedball markers for instance , there built purely to deliver snot ball down range as quickly as possibly there’s no consideration for aesthetics at all , purely function , like this one .

So why do we us ‘gun’ looking guns then and not a simple hopper/barrel/compressed air delivery system  ? Would be a much more efficient system BUT using it would be an absolutely soulless experience.

48AF14B1-B50B-4D7F-AED4-CF02441FAB48.jpeg

I would not be interested in airsoft if guns weren't replicas. For me it is always gun first and then gear/loadout. 

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Resistor170 said:

I get a lot of satisfaction when I put together a loadout how I like it. It's normally something that takes a fair while and far too much thought goes into it for something that ends up so simple but the end product is denifinitely satisfying.

I would not be interested in airsoft if guns weren't replicas. For me it is always gun first and then gear/loadout. 

Me too mate , I’ll spend wks if not mths putting a loadout together (the more obscure the better) then once it’s finished I’ll scurmish it once or twice THEN move on to the next one !🤦‍♂️

Again me too bud , if they didn’t look ‘real’ I wouldn’t have even started playing . When it comes too the guns it most definitely is form over function for me .

Take the Evo for instance , supposed to be one of the best guns ever but if some one was to give me even a totally tricked out one with all the bells and whistles that make it the ultimate Airsoft gun ? I’d sell it before it had fired a single BB ! I detest them no reason just can’t stand them period . 

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Samurai said:

PC190904.jpg

Ahhhhhh!  When I met Prince Andrew (he probably still name drops me to this day) his Serious Looking Secretary was clutching a briefcase.  I've always casually wondered what was in it.  Quite scary when you realise that the gun is hot and the trigger is right there on the handle.

33 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Me too mate , I’ll spend wks if not mths putting a loadout together (the more obscure the better) then once it’s finished I’ll scurmish it once or twice THEN move on to the next one !🤦‍♂️

Again me too bud , if they didn’t look ‘real’ I wouldn’t have even started playing . When it comes too the guns it most definitely is form over function for me .

Take the Evo for instance , supposed to be one of the best guns ever but if some one was to give me even a totally tricked out one with all the bells and whistles that make it the ultimate Airsoft gun ? I’d sell it before it had fired a single BB ! I detest them no reason just can’t stand them period . 

Haha, it's like a jigsaw puzzle. The main enjoyment comes from the struggle or challenge of putting the exact, correct pieces together more than looking at the picture at the end.

Also I second your example about the evo regarding form over function but I do ideally go for the most reliable manufacturer. Other than my first airsoft gun cm16 raider, I just buy what gun I like most at the time and then set it up to how I want it to look. 

That said, if I knew what I was doing internally then I imagine I would get a similar satisfaction to the one I get when building a loadout but it really is about what gun rather than what it can do. 

I have a few air pistols I have bought during my break from airsoft and my ukara ran out. I have had a lot of fun setting up and building and buying different types of targets to shoot in the garden. But again, the pistols are all replicas of 'real' firearms (barring a vintage one) and I wouldn't be nearly as interested in doing that either if they all looked like the pro ones you see at the Olympics. 

Archived