ASG Aug Ultimate hop up unit problems

Dawnrazor
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

57 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It was fiddly to get the old one off as the previous owner had stripped one of the outer barrel retaining screws beyond repair, it took me about an hour to get the thing out. Luckily I have some spare M2x5mm screws to replace it. Also it felt like he's locktighted the hop unit on so I had to use a slip-jaw wrench to pull the plastic unit off, (grab the hop unit with the wrench, not the barrel though as it's brass and you can permanatly damage it beyond repair as brass is pretty soft), you may damage your plastic hop unit beyond repair as well as the bucking if it's as tight as mine was, so with a bit of elbow grease and some de-greaser on the barrel to clean it up, the new bucking (a 50 Degree ASG Bucking) slid on fine, just be careful not to snag it on sharp edges and make sure the groove on the barrel is alligned with the line inside the bucking and it sits completely flush over the inner barrel and all the way down.
The actual Ultimate Series metal hop unit slid on fine, I used a tiny bit of silicone lube, the thin stuff, and made sure the bucking didn't bunch up inside the hop unit.
Once it was on and the guys here informed me that I didn't need the tiny locking washer, I just put a dab of silicone lube on the nub to keep it in the arm, dropped the arm in place, popped in the pin, aligned the hop up unit and attached alligning ring, then the retaining c-clip, then the hop up dial and then clicked the lock for the dial on. It worked just perfectly, I shot a few rounds through it and it was noticeably better, I think the old bucking was a bit worn and the hop unit looks really nice and shiny through the access port, more importantly, it seems to feed well and consistently, I have yet to dial in my hop up to get it perfect, but it really does the job and looks the part. (I did also mark in silver sharpie whick way was "up" on the locking ring, as I always forget and spend ages fiddling with it, then trying to zero my RDS, yeah, I'm that dumb, so if I can do it, pretty much anyone can!)

Overall, yeah, it was worth the time and the money, plus the sweat and panic thinking I was doing something wrong until these kind folk here helped me out almost immidiately.
So I say go do it, you'll notice the difference (especially if your bucking was as f'd up as mine, you could barely notice any hop at all), it's easy and works and looks great, I can post a photo of it if you like of it installed?
It performs a lot better (well, in my case) and looks so much more premium than the stock black plastic one, so shiny!

I hope that helps, I should do my gearbox today, but I think I'll wait until I get a new Main Spring and Element Silent Piston Head & Cylinder Set and maybe a new Spring Guide, saves me taking the gearbox apart twice.

I will get round to this at some point. I was just going to stick a promy purple in it, but I might get the hop unit as well.

3 minutes ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

I will get round to this at some point. I was just going to stick a promy purple in it, but I might get the hop unit as well.

I've heard good things about the Prometheus Purple buckings, but the tech at JD Airsoft said that the ASG 50 Degree  one was better for my AUG. So I went with that, and it was cheaper.

They Just wanted to sell you what they had in stock.

Prommy purples are premium. Very soft and very few people have issues with them. Just be careful as there are 2 purples. Mounded regular style and flathop with no internal mound.

That is something you can now start to play with BTW. You have a spare hop unit, Grab a cheap ZCI barrel and you have everything you need to learn to flathop.

Other premium buckings are the Maple leafs and G&G greens. All suit the UK climate very well and will still work in winter.

• Mostly Retired Moderators
17 minutes ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

Yeh, the promys are good. I always feel slighty ripped off when paying £15 for a 20p bit of rubber.

I get mine from @ak2m4. Only £9.50

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/hop-up-buckings-nubs/laylax-prometheus-bucking-purple

Bloody love the purple. I've tried others and always go back to the purple.

On 25/05/2019 at 21:28, Dawnrazor said:

I'll have to look into a Fet then, I can solder, so that shouldn't be an issue really, it's just fitting and placement.

This might help you when you want to add a fet.

This is the Xcoretech XET 304u unit. The big block of yellow heatshrink is a secondary set of deans to the motor (it's helpful for swapping motors and splitting the gearbox). I've taken to soldering the wires to the motor on the AUG so I can angle them better, and not have to worry about the contact pins getting damaged as the wires can pull on the tangs a fair bit if you get the wires in wrong.

The AUG is very simple to fet. It's mostly wire management, and you should be able to get a small contacts protection only fet to fit in the gap between the dividing plate and the motor.

42996320974_e57ff89173_b.jpg

On 26/05/2019 at 18:09, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

Yeh, the promys are good. I always feel slighty ripped off when paying £15 for a 20p bit of rubber.

The ASG one I got from JD Airsoft was only £7.99.

On 26/05/2019 at 18:30, L3wisD said:

I get mine from @ak2m4. Only £9.50

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/hop-up-buckings-nubs/laylax-prometheus-bucking-purple

Bloody love the purple. I've tried others and always go back to the purple.

I might have to give the prommy purple a go, maybe h-hop it or try a flat hop, that'll be something new to try for me!

On 27/05/2019 at 00:03, Iceni said:

This might help you when you want to add a fet.

This is the Xcoretech XET 304u unit. The big block of yellow heatshrink is a secondary set of deans to the motor (it's helpful for swapping motors and splitting the gearbox). I've taken to soldering the wires to the motor on the AUG so I can angle them better, and not have to worry about the contact pins getting damaged as the wires can pull on the tangs a fair bit if you get the wires in wrong.

The AUG is very simple to fet. It's mostly wire management, and you should be able to get a small contacts protection only fet to fit in the gap between the dividing plate and the motor.

42996320974_e57ff89173_b.jpg

That's really useful to know, thanks, especially the pictures, I can work better when things have pictures! I'm simple like that.
I may consider switching over to Deans plugs as well for the lower resistance, has anyone tried using XT-60's or XT-30's as an option instead because they have pretty low resistance? Especially the XT-60's I'm used to using.
I mean a connector is a connector, just some are better than others resistance wise, my LiPo charger usualy gives me about 42 Ohms resistance on a Mini Tamiya and only 16 Ohms on an XT-60, both on 2S 7.4v LiPo's.

Deans is popular in airsoft is all, so if you get stuck at a game with a dead battery  there will almost certainly be someone willing to lend you one. XT60 on the other hand ? not so much. Great connectors, my RC Heli lipos are all XT60 , but I've never seen one at an airsoft game.

Archived