Li-ion batteries

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm in the market for some new batteries and was thinking about getting some Li-Po 7.4v batteries.

However, I have noticed a few sites selling Li-ion batteries which are very expensive but seem to promise everything I would need in battery, i.e minimal fucking about.

Has anyone got any experience with these before I decide to drop £34 on one?

Found this bad boy which could be answer to my battery dreams, a 7000mAh 7.4v battery!

http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/batteries-bbs-gas-chronographs-c5/batteries-c62/titan-power-7-4v-7000mah-li-ion-nunchuck-battery-deans-connection-p9289

• Supporters

50 quid for a battery ? bollox to that ! If you want to go Li what ever but with out the Kidd gloves you need for LiPo the id say get your self 9.9v LiFe batteries.

check out component shop .

• Supporters

as Druid has pointed out, you can get 3 or 4 decent batteries for that price from componentshop.

plus if one goes wonky over time, its only 25% of your investment, buy the 50 quid monster & that's yet lot if it gets puffy etc.

I would go for three LiFE batteries instead. The 9.9v has a higher RPS then 7.4. Last longer and don't require any faffing around. 

• Supporters

If you invest in a proper charger, which you should be doing for li-ion and life batteries anyway, lipo's arent really any kind of faff. Just chuck them on a balance charge and you'll be golden.

That battery is a monster capacity, unless you're auto spamming a support gun you arent going to be needing anywhere near that.

I run 800's and 1100's in my aeg's and most days i'd use a couple of the 800's or one of the 1100's if i were running aeg all day.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

If you invest in a proper charger, which you should be doing for li-ion and life batteries anyway, lipo's arent really any kind of faff. Just chuck them on a balance charge and you'll be golden.

Very true points , but the main reason I changed over to LiFe is If you run near flat it won’t kill them like it could with a LiPo . It happened too me few yrs ago at an all day’er (no returning to a safezone) was running a CTR stock on my TM recoil so needed extra small batts to fit in the stock pad , did have a couple with me to change them when needed but I got stuck in to a truly epic very long running firefight and unfortunately as I’m a semi as much as possible type player I just didn’t notice the power drop till it was too late , didn’t kill the battery as such but afterwards it was a bit ‘puffed up’ and just didn’t hold much charge anymore. 

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Very true points , but the main reason I changed over to LiFe is If you run near flat it won’t kill them like it could with a LiPo . It happened too me few yrs ago at an all day’er (no returning to a safezone) was running a CTR stock on my TM recoil so needed extra small batts to fit in the stock pad , did have a couple with me to change them when needed but I got stuck in to a truly epic very long running firefight and unfortunately as I’m a semi as much as possible type player I just didn’t notice the power drop till it was too late , didn’t kill the battery as such but afterwards it was a bit ‘puffed up’ and just didn’t hold much charge anymore. 

I know the feeling, my aksu is much the same taking wee 800's and you have to "feel" the drop in power.

Hence that gun only gets lent to folks who i know would recognise the battery drop.

My son has just started playing the game and I don't think LiPo's are the right batteries for him as there is a bit or care required to keep them from dying.

I will have a look at the LiFe ones as they could be what he needs.

I still think think having a 7000mAh would be totally over the top but also pretty cool. After all, isn't that what airsoft is all about?

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

My son has just started playing the game and I don't think LiPo's are the right batteries for him as there is a bit or care required to keep them from dying.

Not really, piss easy to use/look after, think of them like Gremlins, don't get them wet, don't leave them in sunlight & don't feed them after midnight 😜

12 minutes ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

I still think think having a 7000mAh would be totally over the top but also pretty cool. After all, isn't that what airsoft is all about?

Until it goes wrong, then you realise that if you'd spent the same money on 4 smaller batteries, you'd still have 3 that worked. 😏

IMG_4368.JPG

5 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Not really, piss easy to use/look after, think of them like Gremlins, don't get them wet, don't leave them in sunlight & don't feed them after midnight 😜

Until it goes wrong, then you realise that if you'd spent the same money on 4 smaller batteries, you'd still have 3 that worked. 😏

IMG_4368.JPG

Yeh it has 7000 thingies, 7000!

The lack of any real numbers is enough to put me off those titan batteries.

The 7000mAh looks good on paper, but I would also want to see the amp discharge rates.

The fact they also claim it's got the equivalent power output to a 7.4v 20c 1300mAh is also suspect to me in terms of amps.

Is the battery they are comparing it to a 10/20c or a 20/40c?

If it's the former then what they are actually saying is you have very little ampage available and the battery is going to be running near capacity all the time.

A typical upgraded AEG is 10-15 amps draw.

10/20c is 13 amps continuous 26 amps burst, That would be an instant red flag to me. The battery chemistry is always going to be limiting factor on amps, and you are pushing that chemistry to it's maximum potential.

20/40c, on the other hand, is 26/52 amps. Perfectly fine.

The ambiguity of the description looks deliberate to me.

To look at it from another perspective, The pack looks to be made of 18650 cells.

These are consumer parts and can be picked up and have all the numbers on them.

The pack is made of 4 18650 cells.

Each 18650 will have similar specs to what is available online.

https://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/Pair-of-Panasonic-NCR18650B-Green-Li-Ion-18650-Rechargeable-Batteries---3.7-V-3400-mAh-Lithium-cells-1940.html#SID=563

Rated voltage: 3.6-4.2 V
Standard Capacity: 3400mAh
Standard discharge curre 3400mA 0.2C, 2.5V cut

Maximum discharge current 6.8A
Continuous discharge 6.8A

Because of the way those cells are ganged.

You will get 2x 3400mAh (6800mAh).
And the voltage of 2 cells. 3.6-4.2 x2 = 7.2 - 8.4v

The maximum discharge potential is also going to be 6.8 amps x2. 13.6  amps.

I would avoid them until more amps are available.

Had they used the lower capacity Li-ion 2500mAh cells then the ampage can be ramped right up as a lot of those cells are 20+amps burst. The higher capacity li-ion cells are designed for lower ampage discharge applications. The higher ampage output li-ions have been available for many years with the likes of the sony VTC5a cells.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Iceni said:

The lack of any real numbers is enough to put me off those titan batteries.

The 7000mAh looks good on paper, but I would also want to see the amp discharge rates.

The fact they also claim it's got the equivalent power output to a 7.4v 20c 1300mAh is also suspect to me in terms of amps.

Is the battery they are comparing it to a 10/20c or a 20/40c?

If it's the former then what they are actually saying is you have very little ampage available and the battery is going to be running near capacity all the time.

A typical upgraded AEG is 10-15 amps draw.

10/20c is 13 amps continuous 26 amps burst, That would be an instant red flag to me. The battery chemistry is always going to be limiting factor on amps, and you are pushing that chemistry to it's maximum potential.

20/40c, on the other hand, is 26/52 amps. Perfectly fine.

The ambiguity of the description looks deliberate to me.

To look at it from another perspective, The pack looks to be made of 18650 cells.

These are consumer parts and can be picked up and have all the numbers on them.

The pack is made of 4 18650 cells.

Each 18650 will have similar specs to what is available online.

https://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/Pair-of-Panasonic-NCR18650B-Green-Li-Ion-18650-Rechargeable-Batteries---3.7-V-3400-mAh-Lithium-cells-1940.html#SID=563

Rated voltage: 3.6-4.2 V
Standard Capacity: 3400mAh
Standard discharge curre 3400mA 0.2C, 2.5V cut

Maximum discharge current 6.8A
Continuous discharge 6.8A

Because of the way those cells are ganged.

You will get 2x 3400mAh (6400mAh).
And the voltage of 2 cells. 3.6-4.2 x2 = 7.2 - 8.4v

The maximum discharge potential is also going to be 6.8 amps x2. 13.6  amps.

I would avoid them until more amps are available.

Had they used the lower capacity Li-ion 2500mAh cells then the ampage can be ramped right up as a lot of those cells are 20+amps burst. The higher capacity li-ion cells are designed for lower ampage discharge applications. The higher ampage output li-ions have been available for many years with the likes of the sony VTC5 cells.

Freely admit haven’t a fecking clue what the hell your talking about ! 🤫

But must say you definitely sound like you know what your talking about ! 👍

And you’ve certainly impressed me with the delivery ! 😁

🤣🤣🤣

39 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

🤣🤣🤣

I’ll translate:

Science stuff

May as well buy a handful of battery’s at a normal capacity 

42 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Basically, not all li-ion cells are equal.

I suspect that titan have attempted to market themselves on capacity alone, and not performance. 

I would expect these to last a very long time, but they will not act like a performance li-po.

Slower trigger response, Slower cycle time.

Perfect for hire guns.

In a gun with upgrades that draws higher amps than normal, Expect significant performance losses. And potentially dangerous heat buildup as you stress the chemicals.

• Supporters
40 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

🤣🤣🤣

Tl:dr needz moar jiggawatts

Makes sense, i've near fried batteries before when combining a 40k motor with 11.1v. fortunately i checked them before it got bad enough to do damage.

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Tl:dr needz moar jiggawatts

D32889E5-143E-4AA2-B41B-9C5485140B99.jpeg

Archived