London N00bie

DummyThicc
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone,

It's nice to find a forum for UK airsoft hobbyists. I've been interested in airsoft for years. But I have never thought about investing in airsoft until recently. I've been researching the basics so I think I'll get started in the hobby soon myself. I do however have a question. I've been happily watching videos for beginners in airsoft. Just now I realised that guns (or parts of them) can be right handed or ambidextrous.  It seems as though most guns are made for right handed people. But I am left handed and my left eye is my "good" eye. Will this effect me a lot? Can I manage with a right handed gun? I guess I'll find out when I go shooting. But I'm curious as to what you guys think.

Thanks for reading!

First, welcome to the madhouse!

Some guns (e.g. G36) are ambidextrous with various controls on both sides (fire selector, mag release), a lot are designed for right handed use but are no problem using left handed.  Pistols tend to be more designed for right handed use but a lot can be modified.

I have a G36 and a couple of M4s and tend to use them both left and right handed (I'm right handed but left eye dominant, long story) and the only issue I have is occasionally knocking the M4 fire selector to full auto when changing hands.  I've seen quite a few guys on the field running standard guns left handed with no issues so you should be fine.

Best suggestion I can give is to go to a game and see if you can try a few different guns, see how they feel, most of us are quite happy for new players to have a go of our toys.

I'm sure someone who's actually left handed will be along shortly with better advice. 👍

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

Hi guys,

Thank you for the welcome and for the information. I hope to eventually buy a handgun. As I understand, they aren't really needed as a n00b. But eventually I'd like to buy one. I think going to a few games will help me a lot as I can try out (or at least handle) different guns.

As for where I live in London, I live around Whitechapel. Whilst looking for shooting sites in London, I came to learn that there was a site right here in Whitechapel. But sadly it is in the process of being relocated. Such a shame because it was pretty much down the road from where I live. I've had a look at the guide. Thank you!

On 23/05/2019 at 20:39, DummyThicc said:

Hi guys,

Thank you for the welcome and for the information. I hope to eventually buy a handgun. As I understand, they aren't really needed as a n00b. But eventually I'd like to buy one. I think going to a few games will help me a lot as I can try out (or at least handle) different guns.

As for where I live in London, I live around Whitechapel. Whilst looking for shooting sites in London, I came to learn that there was a site right here in Whitechapel. But sadly it is in the process of being relocated. Such a shame because it was pretty much down the road from where I live. I've had a look at the guide. Thank you!

The one in Whitechapel has been "relocated" for ages unfortunately. There is bunker51 in Woolwich but I've not heard the best things. 

19 hours ago, DummyThicc said:

That's too bad. I took a look at Bunker51 online recently. What site/sites would you recommend in London?

19 hours ago, Griff762 said:

Airsoft Plantation isn't too far out of London and would be a good site for a new player. CQB woodland would be the best way to describe it.

I agree with Griff. It's not too far from Whitechapel in terms of miles (30/40 or so) but it does have some range to it as well, it's one of the best sites around in my opinion. If you can drive, you could try going further out as I don't think there is too much within 10/15 miles of you unfortunately

That's a shame because I don't drive. I had a look at getting to Airsoft Plantation and while it is possible, it's not straight forward. I'll have to get two buses, one train and walk for thirty minutes, according to Google Maps. I would be prepared to do that but perhaps not right away, lol. Thanks for the advice guys!

have a look at tactical airsoft down in Croydon, woodland but with cqb set up as well. not been yet but seen the site in a fair few vids. Still a walk though. Plantation is on my rentel list before i commit to membership of a site for  ukara puposes...also east london based and not driving. i figure the walk wouldnt be too bad or to hitch a lift with these fine people by sticking a thumb out on the way....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestion. That actually springs to mind another question. What is site membership all about? I guess it's like a subscription to a certain site which is required to get UKARA? I guess there is a cost involved with such membership? It looks likely that I'll use Bunker-51 to get UKARA (assuming I can) because it's the most convenient site for me. But I don't seem to find anything about site membership on their website. I will find out soon enough as I plan to go there soon (possibly next weekend for their next skirmish). I'm going to see if I can get a friend to join me first.

The closest site within the M25 to you that is woodland would be Red 1 Chislehurst. Take overground to Canada Water, Jubilee to North Greenwich, bus to Chislehurst war memorial and a short 10 minute walk to the site. Takes just over an hour. Its a far better site in terms of clientele then Tactical. 

On 06/06/2019 at 23:19, Asomodai said:

The closest site within the M25 to you that is woodland would be Red 1 Chislehurst. Take overground to Canada Water, Jubilee to North Greenwich, bus to Chislehurst war memorial and a short 10 minute walk to the site. Takes just over an hour. Its a far better site in terms of clientele then Tactical. 

thanks for heads up. i hadnt found these guys in causal searches. just have ro wait til mid August when i get my hands on my  weapon

Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into that as it looks easy enough to get to. After a lot of thought, I decided to go against my initial plan of getting UKARA ASAP, so that I could drop a load of money into my new found hobby. Instead, I've dived in on a budget. I've bought a gun, lower face protection, gloves, BB's, a spare hi-cap magazine, a lipo and a bag for transporting everything. The total cost so far is.. £247.04. I still need to buy eye protection and I'm thinking about buying a chronograph too. But overall, it's a lot less then I initially planned on spending (More like £1300). By doing this, I can go to any site without worrying about getting UKARA. I think I'll go for it next year.

First_AEG_One.jpg

First_AEG_Two.JPG

Not a bad starter package bud, you playing tomorrow ?

Thank you! I've enjoyed doing some target practice indoors. Wish I had more space though, lol. I don't think I can go to a game until July or August sadly. That's when I will have a break from work. I'll probably hit Bunker-51 first. Maybe I'll see you there!

Archived