Sights - red dots vs holo vs...

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

This was an interesting video that @rocketdogbert sent me after a conversation we'd had about optics.

https://gunroom.tv/2019/05/20/red-dot-vs-holographic-vortex-optics/

The premise of the video is red dot vs holo - And they suggest that they're both very useable out at 100m.
This got me thinking though, given that our engagement distances are much under that.
At a range of 80m, what would be more useful for airsoft - a red dot, a holo, or a 6x mag scope?
For me, I'd want the 6x mag - cos I could find the target more easily and could correct for second and third shot more easily.
However, I'm open to hearing arguments to the contrary... It just seems to me that for finding enemies in woodland at the end of our useable engagement distance magnification would be the most important thing (especially when coupled with a nice bright image!)..
What do you think?

I'd say a 2x would be max useful magnification.

Most of the time I don't use any scope anymore.

Airsoft is so different from real steel shooting that any comparison isn't relevant.

I use a 1-4X short dot. I mainly use it on 1X but it is useful having the higher magnification when I need it. I would never use 6X for Airsoft though. Using a 4X ACOG was difficult enough

• Supporters

1-2x ideally for acog’s & specter’s but the 1-4x are a useful compromise  , 6 max on a zoom’able scope but me personally I think a good 1-4x short dot is the ‘sweet spot’ for scopes .

After all that I think the sights I do use the most are just simple red dot reflex sights , it’s very rare I really  ‘need’ magnification unless I’m running a sniper , when you come down to it most players are fairly easy to spot in game due to there field craft skills being so bad , E.G. moving about/talking/standing out from there surroundings/etc (but to be fair it’s not really there fault as most wont have even heard of the principles of field craft) and most of our engagement distances aren’t THAT great are they ? 👍

I am fortunate enough to own a Trijicon TA01 ACOG and I would say it is perfect for woodland and the ranges we can reach out to. Have made some shots with it that I would not have done with my holosight.

7 minutes ago, AK47frizzle said:

I still want to try one of these replica Leupold D-EVOs; 2 sight pictures with no adjustment needed.

In a dark forest, I find I need a 3-4x zoom at 60m+ to spot people lying on the ground.

I’ve had a Clone D-EVO, very cool sight, works brilliantly but fairly small magnified view. For the money, we’ll worth it.

I did sell it to help fund my Bravo4 though

2 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

I’ve had a Clone D-EVO, very cool sight, works brilliantly but fairly small magnified view. For the money, we’ll worth it.

I did sell it to help fund my Bravo4 though

Would you say the devo or an eotech and magnifier?

• Supporters

I've tried magnified, red dot, "holo" and the fts magnifiers.

Tbh what i've found is you dont need more than a simple red dot to make hits, airsoft doesnt have the range or accuracy to justify more.

However, magnification does help if you need to check the target is calling his hits, or those "not sure if tree stump" moments. Personally i dont think that's enough to lose the quick acquisition a 1x gives 

The only "magnified" scope i run currently is my 2x40 bushnell on the m4, mainly because it's just a good red dot and the eye relief is forgiving enough to treat it like a 1x.

• Supporters
11 hours ago, AK47frizzle said:

I still want to try one of these replica Leupold D-EVOs; 2 sight pictures with no adjustment needed.

In a dark forest, I find I need a 3-4x zoom at 60m+ to spot people lying on the ground.

Looked in to one of these my self a while back , not a lot of reviews about on it but the biggest bug bear I could see was the cloners had done such a good job of copying the real McKoy you couldn’t zero the magnified scope below 100mtrs like the real one ! 😂

Archived