Magazine Capacities

Hicks15193
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All,

Extremely new to all this so if I continue with this i'll probably be asking tons of questions. One I have for the moment is magazine capacities.

i've been hiring the sites weapons so far and they have 300-400 round capacity magazines and I have to keep cranking the magazine to get BB's in place. I don't like it and have experienced jam after jam after jam. Maybe its just me but it's annoying.

What type of magazines are out there in terms of capacity, how they work, whether they'll fit most guns (assume ar-15 type which is the most likely route i'll go down for my first gun)

Personally, I would be extremly happy with low capacity magazines. Its what i'm used to from what little military training I did and fire discipline is second nature to me as a result. I understand the attraction of high capacity magazines but I hate the cranking. Also, not keen on another magazine type that makes you look like you're pulling one off in the bushes.

Or, teach me to get used to the cranking. How often should I have to do that? roughly how many bb's will I get off before having to crank again? Are jams a common feature? why might jams be helpful? they guys I rented from were more keen to defend their product than try and help me out.

I always run mid cap mags when i play, mine are 190 capacity each so pretty decent, simply load before a game (you'll want an Odin style speed loader), shoot till empty then pop a new mag in. 

They aren't overly expensive either, ive got MAG and Nuprol ones for around 12 quid each that feed perfectly. 

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/mag-m4m16-metal-mid-cap-magazines-box-of-5190-rnd

• Supporters

Most midcaps are between 80 and 200 rounds, the majority i've seen sit around the 140 mark.

Get yourself an odin speedloader and half a dozen midcaps you'll be set.

Best advice i can give for preventing jams is use good ammo.

Low/Mid caps don't need any winding. They have a long spring and a single storage tube that will hold anywhere from 15 to 200 rounds depending on the mag. Loads of companies make them.

If you are planning on fast mag swapping and dropping the mags then there are budget mags done in boxes that allow for the mags to be almost throw away.

At £5.50 a mag quality and throwing them about doesn't matter so much.

https://www.taiwangun.com/en/aeg-mid-cap/bluebox-10x-140rd-mid-cap-magazine-for-m4-m16-series-black-guarder

The other advantage to low/mids is they don't rattle as you run.

1 hour ago, Lokai said:

I always run mid cap mags when i play, mine are 190 capacity each so pretty decent, simply load before a game (you'll want an Odin style speed loader), shoot till empty then pop a new mag in. 

They aren't overly expensive either, ive got MAG and Nuprol ones for around 12 quid each that feed perfectly. 

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/mag-m4m16-metal-mid-cap-magazines-box-of-5190-rnd

Out of interest what's the heaviest weight you have used in them? Having a nightmare trying to find a large capacity mid cap that feeds .30.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Hunka1988 said:

Out of interest what's the heaviest weight you have used in them? Having a nightmare trying to find a large capacity mid cap that feeds .30.

i've run .3's plenty in my stubby mags, they're MAG's polymer version of the 20 round m16 mag.

i've also run .4's no problem in ASG's polymer mags (they're in the style of metal mags but made of plastic rather than pmag style).

what ammo is it you're running? i had a lot of trouble with my ak mags feeding until i switched to running geoff's and they run perfectly now (even when having to feed a polarstar)

in defense of hi-caps. Hire guns tend to be shagged, not fantastically maintained and full of dirt hence the high caps not feeding.  But there are plenty of cost effective options for AR mids around the 100-140rnd capacity 

As a regular high cap hero, I find midcaps misfeed more due to their design and pressure on the air nozzle. I reckon its more the shagged nature of the high gun and mag. 

As to when to wind them on, it really depends on the individual mag. My Mp5 ones need winding fairly often as it has a small wheel inside. But my G36 ones can go quite some time without winding. 

• Supporters

Wouldn’t even think about real caps unless it’s a low/real cap only day , lows at a push again on specific no hi-cap days . I only use mids in all my guns most vary between 100-140 but I do use the proprietary 82 rd’ers with my tm recoil M4 platforms , only caveat I have with Hi-caps is I do usually carry 1 ‘Hail Mary’ hi with me , it’ll be fully wound AND stuffed to the brim so there’s no rattle and it hardly ever gets used it just for the last stand You’ve gone Winchester on your normal mags and just haven’t the time to reload any of them sort of scenario.

1 hour ago, Aengus said:

*Necessary flash mag best of both worlds(ish) comment*

Should only have to do it once or twice so there's no need to suspiciously walk into a corner.

+1 for flash mags, until the stupid pull wire thing snaps - never got round to learning how to fix them but I hear it's not too hard. 

14 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

only caveat I have with Hi-caps is I do usually carry 1 ‘Hail Mary’ hi with me , it’ll be fully wound AND stuffed to the brim so there’s no rattle and it hardly ever gets used it just for the last stand You’ve gone Winchester on your normal mags and just haven’t the time to reload any of them sort of scenario.

ditto :)

I run the ICS T-Mag (P-Mag 'style') 140 round madcap magazines in my ASG M4, never had a problem with them after multiple drops, rain and refilling. Somehow I now actually own 12 of them, which is fine as they also feed in my LMG ;) 

Archived