Jump to content
paradoxum

Transporting a NON-RIF on public transport?

Recommended Posts

M14A Pulse Rifle. Won't fit in my bag. It's not a RIF and I can only find information about carrying RIFs, do I need to conceal it? Could just keep it in a black plastic bag I guess.

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a bigger bag. A bin bag would still look conspicuous on public transport. Save the potential hassle of getting armed police on you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not everyone is going to recognise that it isn't based on a real gun. 

 

If the granny over the road from you in No.17 or the concerned single mum walking down the road have even a single ounce of concern that it could be a real firearm, then you're in trouble.

 

Don't risk it.

 

Soft gun bags are relatively cheap on Amazon. 

Or use a guitar gig bag if you have to.

 

 

The alternative is to sell it to me.

I still want a pulse rifle so badly 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest bud if your asking can you carry it in public on show as its not a rif or just in a bin bag then quite frankly I’m sorry but your obviously not mature enough to have it let alone carry it in public ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out Harry Stanley

He was shot for carrying a table leg with an accent

(Armed police were called out during the IRA bombing days to an Irish man with a sawn off shotgun, but in fact was a drunken scot with a table leg in a bag, who reacted as a joke by pointing it at the police who challenged him)

 

 

 

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Harry_Stanley

 

 

Be sensible, you are carrying a gun like item in a public place

Bag it properly and ideally in a generic bag

Get a basic sports bag, and if you really really have to then wrap in some material and then bag it

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

Not everyone is going to recognise that it isn't based on a real gun. 

 

If the granny over the road from you in No.17 or the concerned single mum walking down the road have even a single ounce of concern that it could be a real firearm, then you're in trouble.

 

Don't risk it.

 

Soft gun bags are relatively cheap on Amazon. 

Or use a guitar gig bag if you have to.

 

 

The alternative is to sell it to me.

I still want a pulse rifle so badly 😎

 

I might be able to take out the internals on my guitar case and use that, alternatively just stick it in a black plastic bin bag. It's only 1-2 buses straight to the site from here (20mins via car) so I can't forsee any problems, and if some cops did show up at some point I can just show them it and explain I'm on the way to a site or on the way home from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, paradoxum said:

 

 

I might be able to take out the internals on my guitar case and use that, alternatively just stick it in a black plastic bin bag. It's only 1-2 buses straight to the site from here (20mins via car) so I can't forsee any problems, and if some cops did show up at some point I can just show them it and explain I'm on the way to a site or on the way home from it.

The guitar case is the better of the two options

 

Just for reference - are you calling it a non RIF because it’s a two tone or because it’s not a copy of a real gun?

A RIF is realistic if anyone thinks it is realistic, it’s legally not a RIF if it meets the legal definition of an IF rather than a RIF

But IF or RIF it depends on the precise circumstances of a situation.

 

We are not in America so the trend is for the police to not to shoot first.

But think ahead and you don’t need to test it out - and you also don’t need to find out how you will react in a high stress situation with guns in your face.  The wrong first reaction would be to open the bag and show it isn’t real

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

The guitar case is the better of the two options

 

Just for reference - are you calling it a non RIF because it’s a two tone or because it’s not a copy of a real gun?

A RIF is realistic if anyone thinks it is realistic, it’s legally not a RIF if it meets the legal definition of an IF rather than a RIF

But IF or RIF it depends on the precise circumstances of a situation.

 

We are not in America so the trend is for the police to not to shoot first.

But think ahead and you don’t need to test it out - and you also don’t need to find out how you will react in a high stress situation with guns in your face.  The wrong first reaction would be to open the bag and show it isn’t real

 

 

 

 

Yeah I was saying RIF because it's a spacegun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, paradoxum said:

 

Yeah I was saying RIF because it's a spacegun.

It will be a RIF in the eyes of the VCRA and any bystanders 

 

(Your first post says non-RIF)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

It will be a RIF in the eyes of the VCRA and any bystanders 

 

(Your first post says non-RIF)

Sorry I meant non-RIF in my last post. Doing about 20 things at once right now.

 

I suppose I actually do still have the box for the gun so I can just carry that. Really need to invest in a proper case though for when I get my SCAR-H.

 

a4XproS.jpg

 

8rtIRn4.jpg

 

Q7RFHn7.jpg

 

Still get the feeling I'm going to look a bit suspect wearing all this on the bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, paradoxum said:

Sorry I meant non-RIF in my last post. Doing about 20 things at once right now.

 

I suppose I actually do still have the box for the gun so I can just carry that. Really need to invest in a proper case though for when I get my SCAR-H.

 

a4XproS.jpg

 

8rtIRn4.jpg

 

Q7RFHn7.jpg

 

Still get the feeling I'm going to look a bit suspect wearing all this on the bus.

Because you will look incredibly suspect, Pack all that shit up in a discrete bag and get changed into it at the site. Also its a RIF, it looks like a gun and it replicates a gun in that it fires a projectile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Were you seriously considering carrying it out in the open on public transport, or trollin’ ?

 

Honest question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes seriously, I wouldn't have thought of doing so if it was a replica gun but I thought it would be basically akin to carrying a NERF gun around or something since it's from Aliens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, paradoxum said:

Yes seriously, I wouldn't have thought of doing so if it was a replica gun but I thought it would be basically akin to carrying a NERF gun around or something since it's from Aliens.

 

I need an incredulous gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was starting to think you were trolling us for a laugh (and it would have been a good one!) that I was going to congratulate you on punking us all so well , but bud your really are a 1st prize grade A dick if you genuinely wear your gear out in public ! It’s spunktrumpets like you that’ll get the sport banned .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as others have said the problem you're dealing with it joe public who will cry "ERMAGERD IT'S ISIS" at the first sign of something that looks like a gun. relying on someone having seen a cult film and being able to identify a prop gun from that film is not going to work.

 

gear wise you'd be best off changing. at most you can get away with camo trousers in public or if you've got something that looks sufficiently non-military (gorka's are great for this). i normally go with trousers and a t shirt then throw on my jacket when i get to the site. for sure don't be wearing mag pouches and the like.

 

if your circumstances mean you're going to be reliant on public transport then you'd maybe be better off getting something smaller like an aksu with a folding stock that can be chucked in a backpack without showing.

 

druid might be a little, direct, in his opinions but he's right, the last thing we need is for a daily mail "man caught with a replica FIREARM on bus!" headline getting even more restrictions put on our sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For your benefit, please be aware that my local site has a strict policy on not even open-carrying toy guns from the parking on their private access road to the safe zone.  Everything has to be bagged until its on-site.  I'd imagine your site wouldn't be much amused either by the attention you're likely to attract if you choose to travel on public transport in your soljer gear toting your spacegun.  Everybody's a journalist these days.

 

 

16 hours ago, paradoxum said:

I can only find information about carrying RIFs

 

 

Which is curious, as there's no distinction in law about having a RIF or an IF with you in public, concealed or otherwise. 

 

Link: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/19

 

Here's the wording with the important bits shouted.

 

 

A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place [...] an imitation firearm.

 

If you are stopped, the burden is on you to show why you have it.  I strongly advise you to have details of the site to hand, and ideally some sort of booking confirmation even if it's just a Facebook event attendance indication.

 

And RIF vs IF is irrelevant.  There has been a prosecution and successfully conviction for possession of a bright orange springer pistol that even the arresting officer conceded wasn't remotely realistic.

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-22345919

 

tl;dr version - no.  Just no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to add to what Rogerborg has put up, when the vcra was being formulated, the initial consensus to what constituted a rif/if, or literally a "gun" that the police should respond accordingly to was:

Anything that, from a distance of at least 6ft, that a member of the public identifies as a possible firearm.

Quite literally if some doddering old bugger reports a mouldy black banana as looking like a pistol, that's enough to get an aru to respond, so it stands to reason that a full size pulse rifle, for example 😏, is likely to scare the shit out of joe public.

in fact I'd go as far to say that half of the bods who've seen said rifle in the Aliens film wouldn't know if it's a genuinely produced real steel rifle ?.

it all adds up to a big fat NO to cutting corners when it come to bags etc for our toys, especially on public transport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

.druid might be a little, direct, in his opinions but he's right,

Aaaww you gona make me blush ! ☺️

You say the sweetest things too me ! 🥰

😈😈😈

🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no point in me joining in with a similar comment to the ones above, everything that should have been said in direct response to your question has been done so already.

 

However, it's worth asking: Is it the first time you're visiting the site?

Some airsoft sites are pretty tight-knit, and nearly always have some form of social media to post info out to  theirregular attendees - it could be worth asking the owners of the site if they can put a post on one of their pages to see if anyone from round your end is heading that way in a car, and if they have room to take you? Perhaps offer a £5 or a bag of BBs in exchange for a lift. Not sure how much it is to get on the bus these days but the difference of a few extra quid to tempt someone to pick you up has to be worth not getting headshotted by armed police? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

Aaaww you gona make me blush ! ☺️

You say the sweetest things too me ! 🥰

😈😈😈

🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂

 

I just wish i could use the word "spunktrumpet" so succintly :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...