Hero Shark mesh goggles

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have to wear glasses for airsoft and have had to use mesh for protection..

I know most say that mesh masks and goggles are not safe for airsoft, but I undestand the Hero Shark ones are very reliable, particularly if you go for the ones with circular holes and make do with slightly reduced visibility.

I note that they can be repaired, but I wonder how often this would be necessary in CQB games receiving shots occasionally as close as 5m, but more likely 10-15m  with a 350fps limit for 2.0 bbs. I get the impression they would stand up well over a prolonged period. Again I'm talking about the ones with circular holes.

Does any body know if it is possible to wear glasses inside the mesh goggles? Is there enough room?  My Bolle X1000NR goggles have been useless, and I am making do with my own generic Chinese mesh full face mask of that type that are usually for hire at airsoft sites. I know these are not very safe, but I have at least got my glasses behind them if a bb splinters. But I don't trust the mesh itself to last very long or give good enough protection.

I have only two options left now if I want to see clearly in skirmishes: contact lenses or a better mesh mask. I have discounted goggle fans since they don't always work, and there is no guarantee that even with contact lenses my Bolles wouldn't fog up. I sweat profusely so fogging is always a problem with polycarbonate lenses. 

If you wear glasses under a mask you can use the cheap ebay ones.  Just make sure the mesh is secure in the frame and possibly use hot glue if needed.

I intend to use a mesh helmet with glasses next time I play.

One like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-Airsoft-Mask-protective-full-face-fencing-Steel-Mesh-mask-O6/223394357645?hash=item340357618d:g:7z0AAOSw3vdcZyE~

I sweat a lot too and my glasses will likely fog anyway. I'm going to try washing up liquid or cling-film methods...

Thanks for the reply.

There are two kinds of mesh: the interwoven lengths of steel wire type, and the steel sheets with holes cut in them type.

Would anyone care to comment on which type they think give better protection?

Well considering hero shark uses sheet steel with holes punched through it I would say that. Also like anything woven like that type of mesh has natural flex/movement same type of weave with tennis rackets and green wire fencing. 

@heroshark can make custom mesh goggles that go over a set of glasses. 

I sent him a message about custom sized goggles a week ago. He replied straight away, I have rudely not replied to him yet. But I will eventually 😉

Have always meant to buy a set for sniping with. 

I can take any frame including your personal set and create a lens. The standard round hole mesh is highly unlikely to deform much if at all Even under the worst under med/hot gun hits. The hex will deform more and need replacing in some cases. Deformation is not necessarily a bad thing though. Not that it'll effect you with glasses behind but the deformation reduces shattering. All this said even though I have had bits of bb come through I have never had my sight damaged due to it . In around 400+ games over 17 years I've got bits in my eye about 13 times now iirc and I've only used the hex for just over 2 years now. It's happened once with the hex. Also to note woven mesh also has a higher risk of shattering due to the shape of the surface but this is also dependent on the gauge and rigidity.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

There are two kinds of mesh: the interwoven lengths of steel wire type, and the steel sheets with holes cut in them type.

Would anyone care to comment on which type they think give better protection?

The weave, with a caveat.

Back when I was young and innocent and didn't know about fan goggles or double-glazing, I popped the polycarb out of a set of cheap goggles and cut some #8 x 0.7mm mesh to fit.

It feel substantially stronger than the crappy Chinamesh in the rental masks or mesh goggles that I tried, while giving better visibility.

The caveat is that I haven't tried HeroShark.  The chap who makes them knows his stuff, and if he says his sheet is substantially stronger than the typical stock stuff, I would believe him.

This is what the standard round hole mesh looks like after a single shot with a 0.49g BB, doing 450fps (700fps on 0.2g) 4.7 joule at a distance of 5cm. It took 5 shots in total to breach.

27858335_1257648231001566_981804897459652178_n (1).jpg

Archived