This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

At what point do you lot whack on a deans connector? Just bought a RIF (pics to follow) for my son tha comes with mini tamiya. Its his first gun and not sure about voiding warranties by cutting wires before he has even had a chance to use it. 

• Supporters

If you think the retailer is likely to provide any sort of after-sales, then I reckon I'd give it one game with the standard mini-Tamaya first to flush out any early issues.  They do work, and at the end of the day, Deans just makes it a very slightly better performing toy gun, it doesn't transform it.

If you have a battery that fits its probably a good idea to leave it for the first game in case of a manufacturing failure.

Or if you can test at home until you're satisfied it shoots straight with expected range then change it.

All the batteries I have and which he could use are wired to deans. Might make some sort of deans/mt connector for the time being.

What is so good about xt60?

xt60 are similar to Deans but bigger and less common (for airsoft). 

What makes Deans better than Tamiya is each pin has a large contact patch so allows high current flow (no heating) and tight fit so no chance of spark gap or accidental disconnect.

They're small and cheap

Xt 60 offer the same benefits of a deans connector butslightly bigger but,  once you have soldered a few dozen deans and tried to disconnect a battery with sweaty hands mid game you start thinking that these things could be improved upon. Then just as you start to come up with some really good ways to improve the solder contact ( maybe make it curved to form an easier channel for solder) or why not make it from a better polymer with better mouldings and a grip panel  you find out that lo and behold it already exists.

plus they come in tacticool black or red or yellow 

( I like the yellow ones because they match my teeth)

XT 60/90 over Deans = you can't short an XT, you can short a Deans.

Highly unlikely to happen but if you stand on a deans you can crush the two pins to cause a short, an XT can't due to the housing.

I think it's just Betamax Vs VHS... in airsoft Deans won (VHS). But XT does have that specific plus mentioned above (like Betamax was actually the better quality tape but lost anyway). :lol:

You can use RIT dye to change the colour of either connectors. 👍

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, Immortal said:

XT 60/90 over Deans = you can't short an XT, you can short a Deans.

Highly unlikely to happen but if you stand on a deans you can crush the two pins to cause a short, an XT can't due to the housing.

I think it's just Betamax Vs VHS... in airsoft Deans won (VHS). But XT does have that specific plus mentioned above (like Betamax was actually the better quality tape but lost anyway). :lol:

You can use RIT dye to change the colour of either connectors. 👍

You're not meant to use male plugs on batteries....

• Supporters
21 minutes ago, Immortal said:

👍 And yet people do... lol :lol:

This is true.

Not denying xt has its advantages, although i think we can all agree compared to tamiya they're both much better.

Tbh i use deans because when i started i had a bunch, i'd already got the soldering technique down and now i might as well standardise.

Just now, Adolf Hamster said:

This is true.

Not denying xt has its advantages, although i think we can all agree compared to tamiya they're both much better.

Tbh i use deans because when i started i had a bunch, i'd already got the soldering technique down and now i might as well standardise.

To be fair, I use Deans too. :) It's an easier plug to disconnect and solder. Plus it means a high chance of using a mates battery should the need arise at a game from the unforseen. 👍

• Supporters
39 minutes ago, Immortal said:

To be fair, I use Deans too. :) It's an easier plug to disconnect and solder. Plus it means a high chance of using a mates battery should the need arise at a game from the unforseen. 👍

Yeah, shame i cant convince my team to make the switch, have to make do with adaptors in case i need to lend/borrow batts.

No helping some folk....

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Yeah, shame i cant convince my team to make the switch, have to make do with adaptors in case i need to lend/borrow batts.

No helping some folk....

Big stick , beat the sense in to them ! 😈

Xt’s are better but i stick with deans simply for the commonality of them , every man and his dog use them so just easier .

As to the original question I have a deans=tamiya connector I use on new GATT’s , stick a few mags through it then once I’m happy with it I’ll lop off the Neolithic tamiya and stick a deans on , plus I also ditch the fuse at this point but that’s a WHOLE different argument ! 😇  

12 hours ago, EDcase said:

xt60 are similar to Deans but bigger and less common (for airsoft). 

What makes Deans better than Tamya is each pin has a large contact patch so allows high current flow (no heating) and tight fit so no chance of spark gap or accidental disconnect.

They're small and cheap

XT30's are where its at ;) Batteries in the buffer tube fit nicely with a smaller connector, That's if that's an option. XT30's for small spaces, XT60's for things like LMG's etc where you have an abundance of battery space.

12 minutes ago, EDcase said:

XT30's look good but unfortunately I've already got all batteries and weapons on Deans so not worth me changing

Na if you already have the 60's just stay with them. I only use the 30's as most of my team run the same batteries and all use 30's so we are pretty much cross compatible.

1 hour ago, clumpyedge said:

Na if you already have the 60's just stay with them. I only use the 30's as most of my team run the same batteries and all use 30's so we are pretty much cross compatible.

No, I've got Deans :D

xt60 are way too big for airsoft.

Its much of a muchness really as Deans or xt30 are similar and both are better than Tamiya

Archived