3D printed L85 DD rail and ACOG riser.

pikeandgun
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Nice idea seeing as they ARE rarer than rocking horse shit , but the finish is quite ‘ruff’ looking so I’d assume there not printed on a particularly high spec 3D printer ? 

12 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Nice idea seeing as they ARE rarer than rocking horse shit , but the finish is quite ‘ruff’ looking so I’d assume there not printed on a particularly high spec 3D printer ? 

Suppose it gets the job done for the price, with some fine sand paper and black paint it should really come out looking a bit better.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, pikeandgun said:

Suppose it gets the job done for the price, with some fine sand paper and black paint it should really come out looking a bit better.

A mate of mine had one of the hadron suppressors for his MK23 and I thought the layer lines were very noticeable on it (considering how expensive they are), so I had ago at smoothing it down for him but even having a full diy workshop I wasn’t that happy with the results . Some of the 3D stuff you see for sale is good but I do think most of the stuff you get from the ‘one man operation’ type business aren't that good for me .

8 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

A mate of mine had one of the hadron suppressors for his MK23 and I thought the layer lines were very noticeable on it (considering how expensive they are), so I had ago at smoothing it down for him but even having a full diy workshop I wasn’t that happy with the results . Some of the 3D stuff you see for sale is good but I do think most of the stuff you get from the ‘one man operation’ type business aren't that good for me .

Apparently, suspending the parts in steaming acetone vapour completely smooths out all the layer lines, but can be a touch dangerous 😂😂

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Apparently, suspending the parts in steaming acetone vapour completely smooths out all the layer lines, but can be a touch dangerous 😂😂

Think I’ll give that one a miss thanks ! ☠️😂😂😂

2 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Think I’ll give that one a miss thanks ! ☠️😂😂😂

Yes. Somebody I know uses a baby bottle steriliser with acetone in it lol

There's newer 3D printing tech that doesn't leave any lines. Instead of a hot pen laying down the layers it uses an HighDef screen and the light makes the layers in a liquid plastic reservoir whilst it makes hundreds of dips to form the object; end results are seamless. Far higher quality end product. My brother has one.

• Supporters

Acetone vapor works only on ABS. The part will be shiny, but will loose the sharp edges too.

Home 3d printers will have the lines.

The part above is rough looking because it's either laser sintered, which means a laser hardens the product in nylon powder thus the final result will be porous looking but it's one of the best available 3d tech, or printed on a normal FDM printer and has some manual finishing.

The resin printers Immortal mentioned are also high resolution ones but typically have small build volume.

3d printed parts, unless done on very very expensive machines are not as nice as injection molded parts, but you don't have to buy the mold for thousands of pounds and get hundreds or thousands of the same product made and sold to be worth making it.

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Samurai said:

3d printed parts, unless done on very very expensive machines are not as nice as injection molded parts, but you don't have to buy the mold for thousands of pounds and get hundreds or thousands of the same product made and sold to be worth making it.

For me and my OCD that’s the crux of the problem , there’s most definitely a market for these little ‘one man band’ 3D Printer’s but until they can achieve the quality of the industrial machines then I’ll only buy something that no one else makes (like Odin mag adapters) most of the items you see at the moment just aren’t there yet in the quality and if I’m handing over my money and it’s not spot on then I don’t want it .

Archived