Allen key...size

snuff
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Can anybody help with the size of the allen key that holds the motor drive gear in place,I'm guessing 1mm,as I have 1.5mm and that's too big...😨..are they all the same?Thanks.

• Supporters

Most Airsoft guns use the metric sized allen key system.

So M1, M1.3, M1.5, M2, M3 and so on.

Most basic allen key sets dont generally cater towards M1, M1.3 and M1.5 as they are very small but are also the most common sizes in airsoft.

You can get these sizes from DIY shops or eBay

If however you have a Polarstar Fusion Engine, then you will need a imperial set.

laser make a mini Allen key set that is normally pretty easy to pick up if you have a local machine mart.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/laser-miniature-hex-key-set-mm-and-af/

It covers all of the small sizes, but won't take a lot of abuse. If you have thread locked screws you must heat them first, Trying to break them out with these keys will kill the keys or the screw.

For gearboxes with hex head screws, I either use t-bars or a 1/4" socket set with a screwdriver extension and a selection of cheap S2 impact bits.

The T-bars are faster to use, But the 1/4" drive socket set has more overall utility been able to be a screwdriver, nut driver, and Allen key all out of the same box. I own and use 3 of these machine mart sets. I have a set for the car, house and garage. The overall utility they offer is incredible. From furniture assembly to light mechanics duty, I can't stress just how much easier they make my life. It'll be the first and only box I pick up for an awful lot of jobs, and I've yet to have any part of my 3 sets fail.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-pro376-34-piece-14-drive-metric-socket-/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/7pcs-65mm-Hexagon-Head-Magnetic-S2-Steel-Ball-End-Hex-Screwdriver-Bits-Drill-Set/2171432252?iid=272668044744

• Supporters

motor pinion gear is either:

0.050 inches or 1.3mm

or nothing if O type pinion then you can lever it off with a bit of heat & two thin levers

missus used to get the hump using regular table knives from kitchen draw but it worked at a push

refitting - yeah really need a motor pinion puller - especially to replace O pinion gears easily

motor height grub screw - fuck knows it varies from gun/pistol grip plate or motor cage

but most regular hex kits should have one in there - it is the pinion grub screw that is a bitch to locate at times

I bought a few 0.050's from fleabay - wise to still heat the pinion a bit (gas hob - missus goes nuts again)

wise to heat pinion a tiny bit, to help loosen and break any threadlock that "might" have been used before trying hex key

Archived