Questions on Parent getting UKARA

Airsoft4life
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

If your parent isn’t interested in airsoft does it mean they could be on the field and pretty much sit or stand there, etc. And do you have to play multiple games to count as 1 day/event out of the 3 for a ukara?

depends how old you are some sites don't let under 16s play with out their guardian being on the field with them. if they do I doubt a site is going to complain about a extra green fee. you can play as little or as much as you want on the game day the rule is you go to 3 game days in no less than 2 months. however the site doesn't have to sign a UKARA form if they don't think the player is fit to have a ukara membership.

• Supporters

what BigStew is saying is its gonna look really weird for a paying player to turn up 3 times & just stand around in the safezone in order to qualify/meet the requirements for ukara membership, almost suspicious.

& a site would probably be within its rights to refuse to process ukara membership if it felt it was shady.

• Supporters

You last asked about starting airsoft over a year ago. 

You were asked if you'd got over the hurdle of getting your parents onboard with an assault-style toy hobby, and you never followed up.

How's that going?  Have you actually played, or are you still fantasy-shopping?

The more information that you give us, the more helpful that we can be.

Why not just get a two-tone, looks perfectly normal (in my eyes) to see a young player with a two-tone, your not exactly dressing up to be a child soldier? (I hope not).

I saw This guy with like a rainbowish metal chrome colour on his gun can that count as not needing a rif since it’s not military colours it’s was like blue yellow and pinkish, similar to the styles/colours of the blade below

rainbow__71835.1481360380.jpg

46 minutes ago, Airsoft4life said:

I saw This is guy with like a rainbowish metal chrome colour on his gun can that count as not needing a rif since it’s not military colours it’s was like blue yellow and pink ish 

Pretty sure it has to be a fluroescent colour. Retailers only offer basic two-tones, why bother, it looks fine two-toned, I had no problem buying and using a two-tone gun when I was between UKARA memberships.

• Mostly Retired Moderators
2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

You last asked about starting airsoft over a year ago

I thought I recognised him! :)

Airsoft4life - a Two Tone in Red actually looks really cool.

I've shown this example before (found this on Facebook) and it's perhaps the coolest looking two tone I've seen.

M8bHD9N.jpg

Just because it's 51% red, doesn't mean you can make it your own.

Plus the Patrolbase shade of red (shown above) isn't quite as bright as it perhaps should be... Which I think helps.

• Supporters

Great to hear that you've played.

So you'll know that nobody at the site will give a stuff how you obtain whatever you bring, whether it's a black RIF or day-glo pink IF, as long as you transport and use it sensibly.

As above, the issuing of a UKARA number is entirely up to your local site.  We can't tell you what they'll say: you - by which I mean your adult co-conspirator - will have to ask them.

Since we're in the law section, I'll anticipate another question.

Yes, your friendly adult can purchase an IF ("two tone") without a UKARA.  As above, Patrol Base red is pretty nice looking, and IMO works even better on a tan gun.

Yes, they can gift or loan it to you.  Not sell.

No, you cannot legally modify it into a RIF by removing the paint or painting over it.  That's an offence: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/36

However, there is a defence to that offence, and it does not have a minimum age limit: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/37

Be responsible and sensible, is what I'd emphasise above all.

21 minutes ago, UKCYukarin said:

Pretty sure it has to be a fluroescent colour

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/2606/regulation/7/made

7.—(1) For the purposes of section 38(3)(b) of the 2006 Act and paragraph 6(3)(b) of Schedule 2 to that Act, a colour is to be regarded as unrealistic for a real firearm only if it is a colour specified in paragraph (2) or if the imitation firearm is made of transparent material.

(2) The colours specified in this paragraph are—

(a) bright red;

(b) bright orange;

(c) bright yellow;

(d) bright green;

(e) bright pink;

(f) bright purple; and

(g) bright blue.

Eagle eyed readers will note that there's no definition of "bright".  Aside, some "BB" sites sell white guns as IFs, which is a bit naughty.  However, that's their concern, not the purchaser's.

• Head Moderator
1 hour ago, Mad Rag said:

@Rogerborg i am amazed at how knowledgeable you are on this subject. 

Be on the forum a few years and it is amazing what information you can pick up ;). Even more if you use the search function :).

18 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Great to hear that you've played.

So you'll know that nobody at the site will give a stuff how you obtain whatever you bring, whether it's a black RIF or day-glo pink IF, as long as you transport and use it sensibly.

As above, the issuing of a UKARA number is entirely up to your local site.  We can't tell you what they'll say: you - by which I mean your adult co-conspirator - will have to ask them.

Since we're in the law section, I'll anticipate another question.

Yes, your friendly adult can purchase an IF ("two tone") without a UKARA.  As above, Patrol Base red is pretty nice looking, and IMO works even better on a tan gun.

Yes, they can gift or loan it to you.  Not sell.

No, you cannot legally modify it into a RIF by removing the paint or painting over it.  That's an offence: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/36

However, there is a defence to that offence, and it does not have a minimum age limit: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/37

Be responsible and sensible, is what I'd emphasise above all.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/2606/regulation/7/made

7.—(1) For the purposes of section 38(3)(b) of the 2006 Act and paragraph 6(3)(b) of Schedule 2 to that Act, a colour is to be regarded as unrealistic for a real firearm only if it is a colour specified in paragraph (2) or if the imitation firearm is made of transparent material.

(2) The colours specified in this paragraph are—

(a) bright red;

(b) bright orange;

(c) bright yellow;

(d) bright green;

(e) bright pink;

(f) bright purple; and

(g) bright blue.

Eagle eyed readers will note that there's no definition of "bright".  Aside, some "BB" sites sell white guns as IFs, which is a bit naughty.  However, that's their concern, not the purchaser's.

if it has the defence for something like filming does that also mean it can be used to play airsoft.I heard that if you have a youtube channel that counts as filming? 

• Supporters
27 minutes ago, Airsoft4life said:

if it has the defence for something like filming does that also mean it can be used to play airsoft.

Those are unrelated matters.

You need a defence in order to:

1) Provide to a seller, in order for them to sell you a RIF.

2) Modify an IF into a RIF.

That's it.  Once you've got a RIF, you don't need any ongoing defence in order to possess it, nor to use it.  Again: nobody at the site will care how you got it.  If you use it sensibly, it will never be an issue.

However, as a general note, please do be aware that being in possession of either an IF or a RIF in public is by default an offence: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/19

Your "reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on [you])" is that you're on your way to or from an airsoft skirmish.  You'll want to be able to show that on the spot, with site details and/or some record that you are attending.

Running around in the woods with it because Muh YouTube Channel, well, good luck with that.

27 minutes ago, Airsoft4life said:

I heard that if you have a youtube channel that counts as filming?

Why does nobody ever say where they "hear" this stuff?

The legislation is unhelpful.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/37

(1) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under section 36 in respect of any conduct to show that the conduct was for the purpose only of making the imitation firearm in question available for one or more of the purposes specified in subsection (2).

(2) Those purposes are—

(c) the production of films (within the meaning of Part 1 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (c. 48)_see section 5B of that Act);

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/section/5B

Films.

(1) In this Part “film” means a recording on any medium from which a moving image may by any means be produced.

That's what we've got to go on.  Wonderfully vague.

And again, whether any seller will accept that as a defence is entirely up to them.  We can't tell you whether they will.  If I knew of any who did, or who would be prepared to sell to a 15 year old (your dad doesn't have a YouTube channel, I'll warrant) I certainly wouldn't send business their way.

tl;dr version, you're asking us for ways to get around the VCRA, and you're showing intent to deceive.  That's not being responsible.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, UKCYukarin said:

As harsh as this sounds, just bloody get the two-tone, or don't bother at all.

agreed, suck it up, your too young for a Rif, but your parent can buy & gift you a two-tone, cover it in camo tape get out & play ffs, stop trying to find loopholes that don't exist for you, if you get in the shit it could have repercussions on us law abiding players.

I bought my first RIF for film work and the retailer asked for a copy of our Public Liability Insurance which is required by the production company.

6 hours ago, Airsoft4life said:

I heard that if you have a youtube channel that counts as filming? 

Anyone with a gmail account can have a YT channel so good luck with that one. As @EDcase has already informed you, you'd need some kind of written proof that you're filming (for real) and not just a kid with a YT channel that wants to film themself shooting grannies as they ride past on a BMX.

If you are serious about getting into Airsoft as a sport, suck it up, buy a 2T and once you're 18+ and you've been playing consistently you'll be in a position where your UKARA is your own, in your name and then you can buy a RIF and be thoroughly disappointed at how it performs no better than a 2T.

• Mostly Retired Moderators

It doesn't help to keep repeating the advice of others, but clearly it's not sinking in, so here goes:

Get a two tone and play!

In the time this thread has been running, your parent could have bought one and you'd be charging your batteries ready for this weekend already!

Just think:

•Does a two-tone make Airsoft any less fun? Nope!

•Does a two-tone paint job make a gun perform worse? Nope!

•Will you still have fun, and enjoy banter with other like minded Airsofters? Yes!

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Steveocee said:

shooting grannies as they ride past on a BMX.

My granny can't ride a bmx, can yours ? 😜

IMG_4352.JPG

• Head Moderator

No, just a racer

draw_granny_from_looney_tunes_riding_a_bicycle_by_zenzmurfy-d981oc3.png

Archived