Attaching mag to gbb pistol

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I remember hearing somewhere that you should lock back the slide before inserting a new mag. Came as a bit of a surprise. Has anyone else heard of this? 

I assume this advice has something to do with protecting the mag lips or nozzle. 

But is it really necessary? If you remove a mag which still has bbs in it, and then want to replace it, pulling back the slide will only shove another bb into the chamber, so you'll have two bbs going down the barrel.

Surely it's OK to put a full mag into an empty gun and then cock the slide.

Or am I wrong?

Yeah I read that too.

Its to protect the feed bar of the nozzle.

When inserting a full mag, the BB's will press up on the thin plastic feed bar under the nozzle.

If the BB's are tightly packed in the mag they will have a lot of resistance to being pushed down so this can break the bar.

Its designed to be strong for pushing the BB straight out of the mag into the hop but not from pressure underneath.

• Supporters

On a fully stuffed mag lock back, for one with a bit of free space its ok, there's normally a releif cut in the nozzle so there's not much pressure on the top bb when inserting.

Just dont ram it in if it doesnt want to go.

It’s good practice to have the slide locked back on a full mag to keep pressure off the feed bar. As people have said, leave a bb out of the mag and it stops becoming an issue, although personally I always lock the side to the rear for the initial mag and only reload in game when it’s empty because I run my mags full 

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I'll bear it in mind in future. I never fill my mags to capacity anyway. Never more than 25 in my hicapa, or 20 in my Glock. 

So inserting an empty mag into a gun with the slide not locked back is not a problem? Am I right?

Archived