pistol upgrades

Adolf Hamster
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

so i'm not normally a bit one for upgrading pistols, at most it's a case of barrel, hop, then leave it the hell alone.

however i'm feeling like the makarov might deserve a bit of love in the gas effeciency/fps department.

basically i need a smidge more power (she's sitting about 0.75j atm on nuprol 4.0 and .32g), i've currently got a pdi w hop and 6.01 barrel incoming so fingers crossed that might help in that regard.

but the bbu might need refreshing, she doesn't like the cold at all and likes to vent gas everywhere, it's not an area i've ever really spent much time looking at but any tips as to brands/products/shops to look at for shiny bits in this area? looks like it should be marui compatible for the float valve and it's a 15mm bbu so the rear seal might help too?

Unfortunately, the makarov just isn't built for the cold with its skinny mag. A better piston might help a bit, but it won't be that significant.

A floating valve or a magazine high flow valve won't really help with efficiency as it does the exact opposite. But, maybe those would help with cold weather performance as it expels more gas for shot, though probably not by much. It's just down to its fundamental design:

I hate to say it, but I don't think you'll get any more juice out of the gun: green gas, skinny mag, weird proprietary WE design. It's the same with the TT33 I briefly had; squeezed 60 shots (4 mags) out of one fill in the heat, but as soon as it touched the slightest bit of cold with its skinny mag, not even 1 mag. I mean, even the desert eagle struggles in the cold with its huge reservoir. Their only good designs are the glocks unfortunately, or possibly even the M&P as i've yet to try.

• Supporters

When i say gas effeciency i dont mind getting only 1 mag to a fill, and granted i agree the reservoir is pretty small. I have 3 mags and if i use all of those then i normally retire to rearm.

On a warm day she can go through enough rounds no problem, its just there's a lot of cooldown problems which in the cold is quite bad.

Shame as she's a great shooter otherwise.

Same issue as 1911, mag just isn’t big enough to hold enough gas.

If you really, absolutely must use it, HPA tap the mags, not gonna happen any other way lol

• Supporters
2 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

Same issue as 1911, mag just isn’t big enough to hold enough gas.

If you really, absolutely must use it, HPA tap the mags, not gonna happen any other way lol

Hmm, that's tempting, given i do run hpa a fair bit anyway.

Might have to have a gander at kwc's co2 version for winter use maybe. Although i've never been a co2 fan.

could try the ics nbb . I hear the kwc's run relatively short lives mags are hard to acquire and expensive. one way to increase efficiency is use softer springs in the recoil, hammer, floating valve and ideally fractionally reduce the gas out put of the mag valves. All this would be off set by your tbb and it would keep a similar muzzle velocity. The main one to experiment with to start is the hammer. It could all be pointless if the gun instantly light strikes. Generally I have found WE use unnecessarily heavy hammer springs even for use in uk's hottest weather. Knowing the MKOV uses a proprietary hammer spring so it'll take tweaking a similar or original MKOV hammer spring but its worth a play.

Archived