What makes Airsoft a joke

Seth_Erebor
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

On 03/05/2019 at 22:37, Resistor170 said:

Yeah. Fortunately a minority

S uprise surprise it turns out I was very wrong about HPA. After a quick googling I gather there are lots of pros to HPA, one being easy to adjust the rof. So I gather that means you can lower the rof as well as up it! 

I had seen lots of YouTube videos with hpa and high rof etc as a title and was never interested from then on. 

Hi, My Tippman is HPA and set up as a DMR so it's single shot only.  So they aren't always about ROF.

I find it easier to maintain than an AEG and more consistent.

Cheers

Gordon

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MisterG said:

Hi, My Tippman is HPA and set up as a DMR so it's single shot only.  So they aren't always about ROF...

I've got no problem with that.

Its just the HPA hoses that take the piss.

They can't shoot accurately so take 'spray and pray' to the extreme

2 hours ago, EDcase said:

I've got no problem with that.

Its just the HPA hoses that take the piss.

They can't shoot accurately so take 'spray and pray' to the extreme

No no, it's not poor aim its "suppresion" ;)😂.

6 hours ago, MisterG said:

Hi, My Tippman is HPA and set up as a DMR so it's single shot only.  So they aren't always about ROF.

I find it easier to maintain than an AEG and more consistent.

Cheers

Gordon

Yeah these were two eyebrow raisers in a good way. When reading the pros and cons list I found I was pleasantly surprised not to even see something like 100rps on there. I had completely shut my eyes and ears with HPA, thinking it was solely for the the rof. I don't think I will be a future convert as I'm happy enough with what I have but I'm always happy to learn something

• 1 month later...

As I’ve done both, maybe I can chip in?

When I first started Airsoft, my real-world skills actually hampered me, I spent more time in re-spawn that anywhere else, went out with seven full mags came back with six, other side of the coin, I was a veritable BB magnet.  First words out of my mouth? Where the F*** is everyone running too, and why is nobody talking, I hear contact, but where?

The guy in the track suit, vendetta mask and one mag, what is that all about.

I was one confused ex-squaddie.

I was in complete denial, my M4 was just not doing what it was supposed to do, and hop -up, what was that evil magic…

Don’t even get me started on multicam, my rig though, that was okay, didn’t let me down.

Still waiting for the chopper to take us out of that hell hole though.

A year down the road and I still don’t really understand the hop-up, I come back with two full mags, and don’t miss recoil, most of my deaths are now from my own ricochets and I actually hit stuff, leaves mainly but still…

Thank god this isn’t like the real thing; everyone comes back alive.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Hermesh said:

When I first started Airsoft, my real-world skills actually hampered me, I spent more time in re-spawn that anywhere else, went out with seven full mags came back with six, other side of the coin, I was a veritable BB magnet.  First words out of my mouth? Where the F*** is everyone running too, and why is nobody talking, I hear contact, but where?

I was in complete denial, my M4 was just not doing what it was supposed to do, and hop -up, what was that evil magic…

Don’t even get me started on multicam, my rig though, that was okay, didn’t let me down.

A year down the road and I still don’t really understand the hop-up, I come back with two full mags, and don’t miss recoil, most of my deaths are now from my own ricochets and I actually hit stuff, leaves mainly but still…

interesting insight.

the hopup certainly is an almost magical hackery of physics, and it's pretty common for folk to be either over-hopping or underhopping then raging at how they aren't hitting their target. but once you figure out what it's doing and know how to work around it you can do some interesting things (like tilting the gun to compensate for wind or shoot round corners).

there's definately a lot of stuff people do in airsoft i'd suspect they'd be much less keen on doing on a real battlefield when a 2 minute walk is replaced by eternity in a casket.

1 minute ago, Adolf Hamster said:

interesting insight.

the hopup certainly is an almost magical hackery of physics, and it's pretty common for folk to be either over-hopping or underhopping then raging at how they aren't hitting their target. but once you figure out what it's doing and know how to work around it you can do some interesting things (like tilting the gun to compensate for wind or shoot round corners).

there's definately a lot of stuff people do in airsoft i'd suspect they'd be much less keen on doing on a real battlefield when a 2 minute walk is replaced by eternity in a casket.

Bit tongue in cheek to be honest, and I have grown to love multicam...

9 minutes ago, Hermesh said:

Well this is an old thread :)

What was your motivation to play?

I guess on one level I wanted to dress up, heft a gun around and feel like a soldier again, above all else just to have some fun. I knew nothing about this world before I dived in, but I'm glad I did. Next year I'll attend Border War, that should be classic...

6 minutes ago, Hermesh said:

I guess on one level I wanted to dress up, heft a gun around and feel like a soldier again, above all else just to have some fun. I knew nothing about this world before I dived in, but I'm glad I did. Next year I'll attend Border War, that should be classic...

I'll be in your neck of the woods in August to see the in-laws, what's it like over there for Airsoft? Slim chance of me getting a game in though.

They have a lot of reserves and paramilitary units.

7 minutes ago, Seth_K said:

I'll be in your neck of the woods in August to see the in-laws, what's it like over there for Airsoft? Slim chance of me getting a game in though.

They have a lot of reserves and paramilitary units.

Any where near Bucharest? If you give me a shout, and fancy a Sunday game, I'll lend you a rifle, rig and BBs, sounds like a plan? 

1 minute ago, Hermesh said:

Any where near Bucharest? If you give me a shout, and fancy a Sunday game, I'll lend you a rifle, rig and BBs, sounds like a plan? 

Yes, actually.

I'll find out when.

Thanks!

My WE M4 recoils hard and sounds loud enough. It's as close to bang bang without ejecting a shell casing . 

obv terms & conditions apply * much upgrades * including but not limited to: +xxx% recoil spring, adjustable buffer, steel bolt, high flow gas valve, skim snd slide it all up and so on. 

AEG's will always have that nyu nyu nyu sound, is what it is, they have they're place. I wanted more, I went gas and put the money in to make em more 'realistic'.

Airsoft is fun, from the early days of springers to AEGs, to GBB pistols, to GBBR's. Makes no odds what you shoot as long as it shoots and makes targets go ping, thud or ouch, Thats what matters :D

15 minutes ago, Tec-Spek said:

My WE M4 recoils hard and sounds loud enough. It's as close to bang bang without ejecting a shell casing . 

obv terms & conditions apply * much upgrades * including but not limited to: +xxx% recoil spring, adjustable buffer, steel bolt, high flow gas valve, skim snd slide it all up and so on. 

AEG's will always have that nyu nyu nyu sound, is what it is, they have they're place. I wanted more, I went gas and put the money in to make em more 'realistic'.

Airsoft is fun, from the early days of springers to AEGs, to GBB pistols, to GBBR's. Makes no odds what you shoot as long as it shoots and makes targets go ping, thud or ouch, Thats what matters :D

Yup, I won't buy another AEG, but I can't go with a HPA Line or Gas Mags.

Personally not a fan of a couple of things which I shall elaborate on each below;

Speedsofting - I enjoy a semi-realistic type game, I appreciate not everyone has the skills or desire to play Milsim - this is completely fine and alot of the Skirmishes I go to have realistic objectives, realistic site designs ect and people come to 'roleplay / re-enact' military operations ect but what annoys me is when you get a group of people with their HPA pistols darting about, sliding all over the place not playing the objective and simply 'killing' people in a crappy fashion. Getting 5 kills before you die is all good but you're not helping your team push onto a site or collect an objective. Do not get me started on speedsofters who seem to think powerplaying is acceptable..

Leads me onto my next gripe and this will be a controversial one, HPA. I am in no way a HPA fan, I despise it. I am sure that somewhere in the world there are sensible HPA users but I'm yet to meet one. A few weeks back I was playing at a site in the North West. It has a long back corridor, probably about 45-50 meters in length, at either end is a double door type set up to provide cover. I engaged a target at the very far end, I clearly hit him multiple times in the helmet (all that was showing, I don't purposely aim for the head area unless that's all that's visible. I try to avoid shooting peoples expensive weapons!) The person flinched a fair few times after being peppered in the helmet a few times, only for them to pop around the corner and pepper me back (fair enough, they didn't take the hit but that wasn't the problem, neither was the returning fire in anger) what really got me was the fact a round hit me in the finger. I wear Mechanix armoured gloves, nylon fabric on the fingers with polymere armour on the knuckle areas. The BB pierced the polymer and broke my finger instantly. Now I have no proof of course, but I've been using those gloves for about 2 years and they've taken multiple hits from closer ranges and never had an issue. My best bet is this guy was using heavier weight BBs with his power turned up way beyond site limits but of course when the chrono comes out, its turned back down again. 

In my opinion, if a site cannot regulate HPA strictly it should not be allowed. There's no need for a ROF in the high 60s nor is there a need to deliver a .28BB are bone smashing speed. It's just silly.

Having said that I am sure there are sensible HPA users, I'm just yet to meet one. 

• Supporters
33 minutes ago, WobblySausage_ said:

Personally not a fan of a couple of things which I shall elaborate on each below;

Speedsofting - I enjoy a semi-realistic type game, I appreciate not everyone has the skills or desire to play Milsim - this is completely fine and alot of the Skirmishes I go to have realistic objectives, realistic site designs ect and people come to 'roleplay / re-enact' military operations ect but what annoys me is when you get a group of people with their HPA pistols darting about, sliding all over the place not playing the objective and simply 'killing' people in a crappy fashion. Getting 5 kills before you die is all good but you're not helping your team push onto a site or collect an objective. Do not get me started on speedsofters who seem to think powerplaying is acceptable..

Leads me onto my next gripe and this will be a controversial one, HPA. I am in no way a HPA fan, I despise it. I am sure that somewhere in the world there are sensible HPA users but I'm yet to meet one. A few weeks back I was playing at a site in the North West. It has a long back corridor, probably about 45-50 meters in length, at either end is a double door type set up to provide cover. I engaged a target at the very far end, I clearly hit him multiple times in the helmet (all that was showing, I don't purposely aim for the head area unless that's all that's visible. I try to avoid shooting peoples expensive weapons!) The person flinched a fair few times after being peppered in the helmet a few times, only for them to pop around the corner and pepper me back (fair enough, they didn't take the hit but that wasn't the problem, neither was the returning fire in anger) what really got me was the fact a round hit me in the finger. I wear Mechanix armoured gloves, nylon fabric on the fingers with polymere armour on the knuckle areas. The BB pierced the polymer and broke my finger instantly. Now I have no proof of course, but I've been using those gloves for about 2 years and they've taken multiple hits from closer ranges and never had an issue. My best bet is this guy was using heavier weight BBs with his power turned up way beyond site limits but of course when the chrono comes out, its turned back down again. 

In my opinion, if a site cannot regulate HPA strictly it should not be allowed. There's no need for a ROF in the high 60s nor is there a need to deliver a .28BB are bone smashing speed. It's just silly.

Having said that I am sure there are sensible HPA users, I'm just yet to meet one. 

you didn't call him out on that? it's ridiculous to be getting injured like that regardless of weapon type.

in defence of hpa there are plenty of systems equally as amenable to either intentional (quick change spring on a scorpion for example) or unintentional (joule creep on a gbb) types of running hot, and there are hpa regs out there with tournament locks.

however even as a fan of hpa i'll admit to there being plenty of cases where a sites lack of understanding lets people take the pee to ridiculous levels. for example the amount of places that see a low fps number and say "that's a bit low mate" even when i've told them i'm running heavy ammo and the chrono is showing the right joule value.

17 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

you didn't call him out on that? it's ridiculous to be getting injured like that regardless of weapon type.

in defence of hpa there are plenty of systems equally as amenable to either intentional (quick change spring on a scorpion for example) or unintentional (joule creep on a gbb) types of running hot, and there are hpa regs out there with tournament locks.

however even as a fan of hpa i'll admit to there being plenty of cases where a sites lack of understanding lets people take the pee to ridiculous levels. for example the amount of places that see a low fps number and say "that's a bit low mate" even when i've told them i'm running heavy ammo and the chrono is showing the right joule value.

Oh of course I called him out, Marshall came over and Chrono'd after a few minutes and surprise surprise it was just on the limit for the weight of ammo he was using. This particular person and marshall are good friends in real life so I expected no less. Needless to say, me and my party of 15+ (work colleagues and friends) won't be visiting that site again which is a shame, as we often booked the site out for private events. 

The new site we play out has a lot stricter policies in place for all types of weapons, I was randomly chrono'd no less than 7 times throughout the day along with pretty much everyone on the site which was extremely refreshing to see.

2 hours ago, WobblySausage_ said:

...The BB pierced the polymer and broke my finger instantly...

A BB broke your finger?!?!?!

Shit, if that isn't proof of being way too hot I duno what is.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, WobblySausage_ said:

Oh of course I called him out, Marshall came over and Chrono'd after a few minutes and surprise surprise it was just on the limit for the weight of ammo he was using. This particular person and marshall are good friends in real life so I expected no less. Needless to say, me and my party of 15+ (work colleagues and friends) won't be visiting that site again which is a shame, as we often booked the site out for private events. 

The new site we play out has a lot stricter policies in place for all types of weapons, I was randomly chrono'd no less than 7 times throughout the day along with pretty much everyone on the site which was extremely refreshing to see.

not gonna lie if i'd been hit that hard i'd be watching the bugger like a hawk until he did get chrono'd.

not that it should be necessary, unless you've got terminal osteoporosis or something like that a bb should not be breaking a finger.

he's lucky that it was just a finger and not some poor rental kid's mesh mask.

The answer is real-time joule monitoring.

Sure, I have a couple of ideas on how it could be done, but just theories.

If Chronoing before is not working and after is unreliable then you have to catch it in between those moments.

Thus real-time.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Doesn't mean anything the one that broke mine was a trishot springer all of 260fps.

really? must say i'm surprised. 

been hit plenty of times in fingers, and i normally run fingerless gloves and never felt even close to breaking.

7 minutes ago, Seth_K said:

The answer is real-time joule monitoring.

Sure, I have a couple of ideas on how it could be done, but just theories.

If Chronoing before is not working and after is unreliable then you have to catch it in between those moments.

Thus real-time.

not sure how you'd implement it real time, sure you can get those suppressor mounted chrono's but i guarantee most folk wouldn't want to be running those all the time, i sure as hell wouldn't.

• Supporters
Just now, Adolf Hamster said:

really? must say i'm surprised. 

been hit plenty of times in fingers, and i normally run fingerless gloves and never felt even close to breaking.

Caught the joint on the side and just went.

I always wear fingerless gloves and have regularly ended a day with a couple of swollen fingers.

Archived