What makes Airsoft a joke

Seth_Erebor
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Mostly Retired Moderators
38 minutes ago, Resistor170 said:

Exactly why I don't like HPA 😂 .

Does having an HPA set up equal taking airsoft too seriously then?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

I may well be wrong...I was under the understanding that HPA will always give rediculously high rof. If that's right then to me that would be unnecessary and taking it too seriously yes, almost bordering on cheating in a way it's not cheating if you know what I mean. 

Because I associate HPA with high rate of fire I have never looked into it at all, and because I have never looked into it there might be other advantages of carrying a tank around I don't know about. 

But as I said people can do what they like. 

32 minutes ago, Resistor170 said:

Oh I completely misunderstood, I thought you were directing it at the people on this thread... Yes there are plenty about eh, comical

No, not the folks on here, we've all seen em at games though

3 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Yeah. Fortunately a minority

26 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

S uprise surprise it turns out I was very wrong about HPA. After a quick googling I gather there are lots of pros to HPA, one being easy to adjust the rof. So I gather that means you can lower the rof as well as up it! 

I had seen lots of YouTube videos with hpa and high rof etc as a title and was never interested from then on. 

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Yeah, lots of Americans seem to love those high ROF HPA set ups, but it's easy to have one shooting normally.

My old tippmann was great. Sensible ROF, great kick, Fantastic noise. 

I'd have another in a heartbeat :)

12 hours ago, Nick G said:

I'm that person 😧. My full auto rof is ridiculously high simply because it never gets used, only when emptying a mag or just pratting about. It's like owning a fast car; do you need it? No, is it nice to have the abilty to use it if you ever want? Yes, is it bloody fun when you do? Yes.

• Supporters
22 hours ago, Resistor170 said:

I had seen lots of YouTube videos with hpa and high rof etc as a title and was never interested from then on.

If you judge airsoft by YouTube videos, it's nothing but CHEATERS being CAUGHT with 100 RPS JUSTICE because they BURNED someone's PATCH.

12 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

If you judge airsoft by YouTube videos, it's nothing but CHEATERS being CAUGHT with 100 RPS JUSTICE because they BURNED someone's PATCH.

Haha yes. I work with someone who doesn't play airsoft but has seen videos and it seems like these are some of the videos he has watched. It did make me think about what a deformed impression/view he must have about airsoft. 

I did wrongly judge HPA on these video titles and a few other things though

2 hours ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

There's something to cater for everyone, its all a spectrum and lets face it's not even that wide. Got open days to do what you want, then milsims, battlesims, gas only games bla bla - they all happen, you just might have to travel.

If there was a system whereby you had guns that had (lethality aside!) the exact same function as real guns that would indeed be cool as shit and would probably replace airsoft. But that's not gonna happen anytime soon. Things which are trying to emulate this function is stuff like MILES and of course simunition. But not are there obvious practical barriers  to using both those things to "skirmish" with, they have their downsides too.

So rather then looking at what airsoft is bad at you should look at what it is good at - which is actually quite a lot. But you have to make the most of that too, whether as a skirmisher or a event organiser or whatever.

I do need to try some offerings, what are the varying factors between events? Command, Vehicle, etc?

Exact same function? What do you mean, for example between an SMG (P90) and Rifle (SCAR-L)?

MILES is alright, but you end up with TESS-bravery.

What would an airsoft version of Simunition look like? BB for the paint/marker?

- All sorts of things. Find out for yourself

- i mean strictly theoretically exactly the same

- an airsoft version of simunition wouldnt exist. Simunition also has shit range you'd be better off with airsoft for everything except tight cqb.

• Supporters

Seth have to ask mate , why are you even involved in Airsoft ? Thread after thread all you seem to be doing is trying to find ways to change it beyond recognition , showing utter distain for it , ridiculing it or just trying to make it out to be something it’s not ? 

Seriously bud I really really don’t get you or what your doing ?  

5 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Seth have to ask mate , why are you even involved in Airsoft ? Thread after thread all you seem to be doing is trying to find ways to change it beyond recognition , showing utter distain for it , ridiculing it or just trying to make it out to be something it’s not ? 

His posts at first, really annoyed the shit out of me. However, as times gone on, it's turned more into feeling sorry for him. Genuinely think he just wants people to talk to or whatever so makes up crap to engage. That or there's something wrong with him (nicest way without falling into the PC minefield).

If however, he is legit. Then well, something's failed somewhere with him.

For a bit of info, on a legal basis in the U.K.:

an airsoft gun needs to shoot plastic BBs

Paintball guns need to shoot gelatine balls, or courtesy of approved testing arranged by Tiny Coetser they may shoot ‘shaped First Strikes’

(This testing cost circa £3,000 that he paid up front and raised £996 from crowdfunding, and approved First Strike as ‘frangible’ and meeting the ‘non lethality’ required to exempt paintball from parts of firearms legislation.  Note that lethality isn’t just about how likely it is to kill but also levels of breaking skin, and potential related damage)

correspondence between key parties following testing confirm paintballs and first strikes as the only recognized projectiles

Currently anything else fired from a paintball gun as far as the home office, police, UKPSF etc would  end up being considered an air weapon and heading towards prosecution territory 

People and a small number of sites may use rubber balls (reballs) and have knowingly turned a blind eye to the law for decades, or powder balls.  Powder balls are probably legitimate for shooing galleries at fairs etc, but shooting each other could be dodgy (they definitely meet the criteria of frangibility but have not been certified in the U.K.)

We have activities where people can go out and shoot each other for fun ..... they are nerf and ‘new & improved’ laser tag

We also have an activity where people can go out and shoot each other for fun along with extra adrenaline ..... it’s paintball

We have two activities where people can go out and shoot each other for fun, with adrenaline and an element of ‘fairly realistic’ guns .... they are magfed paintball and airsoft skirmishing

Its the Paintball side that get 

Airsoft can shoot mini 6mm paintballs - they are crap

I’m not convinced that airsoft guns could reasonably shoot a wax bb, and certainly no better than a wax paintball or Powderball (Powderballs are actually closer to the wax side already)

There is a form of air ‘bullet’ that operates like a bullet cartridge but shoots by air/co2 in the round.  This classification includes brocock airguns which with legislation change became section 5 firearms and the majority handed over in a firearms amnesty

I know that a similar system remains in use in the UK but don’t know the details and am unsure if there is a small ‘leisure’ community using it or just a training aid for certain types of profession 

If someone wants to invest large sums in developing and getting approved a recreational gun simulation then they can try ..... but need to research a lot into potential markets that may only exist in a handful of heads with no commercial viability 

There are the supposed markets of military training, but big ideas spoken by generals and brigadiers such as the possibility of putting airsoft into the mix for training are often that ... a big idea.  They tend to point people in directions.  Eg Paintball is used in army training, but not (or rarely) using any ‘realistic’ gun.  They have realistic guns - they are guns.  Soldiers know how to use a trigger finger and can very easily experience the risk of being shot with a little bit of pain by just using a very basic paintball gun. (And preferably powderball as that has been approved as a training aid because it can be easily swept up)

We also have laser systems and simunition in the uk

Simunition was first approved only for UKSF, it has since been made available as an option to the wider army .... but is expensive 

The advantage is it functions as if it were a real bullet, so real guns can be used to shoot each other 

1 hour ago, SgtTalbert said:

His posts at first, really annoyed the shit out of me. However, as times gone on, it's turned more into feeling sorry for him. Genuinely think he just wants people to talk to or whatever so makes up crap to engage. That or there's something wrong with him (nicest way without falling into the PC minefield).

If however, he is legit. Then well, something's failed somewhere with him.

Funny thing is, solely within the context of Airsoft, you’re right. It’s hardly a topic of conversation you can have with just anyone. 

You don't have to be PC for me, but I’m not sure what the forum rules are on that. 

I get a little bored seeing threads with content that I feel I’ve seen multiple times already, so I try to say something new. I always seem to say it wrong 😂

1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

I love the community, especially the random chats you can have with strangers in the safe zone. I suppose many activities can do that. 

But the current skirmish experience is not for me.

Looking back, this thread was a bit “click baity”, the underlying question of recoil and sound was honest but I presented it poorly. Silly really. 

I won’t change Airsoft, the players will, with their feet and money. Time will tell, right?

It may not be perfect but its all we have at the moment.

...until someone comes up with a better way.

It's good to look at things and ask if they can be done better...

• Supporters
12 hours ago, EDcase said:

True enough mate , nothing is perfect and there’s always room for improvement with everything , BUT Seth for what ever reason and with what ever intentions good or bad (only he knows which) just appeared out of nowhere one day and straight off the bat starts asking how he can totally change Airsoft beyond all recognition and has basically carried on down this path ever since . 

The sports not perfect by ANY stretch of the imagination but it’s not radically changed in the 20yrs I’ve been playing so I think it’s safe to say that everyone is reasonably happy how it’s running ? 

• Supporters
36 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

True enough mate , nothing is perfect and there’s always room for improvement with everything , BUT Seth for what ever reason and with what ever intentions good or bad (only he knows which) just appeared out of nowhere one day and straight off the bat starts asking how he can totally change Airsoft beyond all recognition and has basically carried on down this path ever since . 

The sports not perfect by ANY stretch of the imagination but it’s not radically changed in the 20yrs I’ve been playing so I think it’s safe to say that everyone is reasonably happy how it’s running ? 

Amen to that, fed up to the back teeth with people, mainly relative noobs, coming along & try repeatedly to "reinvent the wheel", to repeat my favourite saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

airsoft is fine as it is, but legally its on a knife edge, it doesn't need its profile raising, nor does it need drastically changing, if people are sensible then as a sport it will hopefully be left alone.

as players we don't necessarily want big changes in the technology, we'd benefit more from better run sites, maybe the shit ones should look at the renowned sites & copy their business model.

so if your someone like sethk, & want to make an impact, give us that, not poxy phone comms apps & allsorts of other non viable crap.

• Supporters
49 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Amen to that, fed up to the back teeth with people, mainly relative noobs, coming along & try repeatedly to "reinvent the wheel", to repeat my favourite saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

airsoft is fine as it is, but legally its on a knife edge, it doesn't need its profile raising, nor does it need drastically changing, if people are sensible then as a sport it will hopefully be left alone.

as players we don't necessarily want big changes in the technology, we'd benefit more from better run sites, maybe the shit ones should look at the renowned sites & copy their business model.

so if your someone like sethk, & want to make an impact, give us that, not poxy phone comms apps & allsorts of other non viable crap.

I have a good way for Seth to fundraise to make his ambitions a reality.

Firstly buy 10000 sponges, and 1 brick(biological or not), volunteer yourself to be put in the stocks, and then see the many many many people rush to have a chance at throwing a brick at you, luck of the draw if you get the brick or a sponge!  

If your not willing to put yourself in that position, your obviously not serious enough about your passion and plans!

(one of those days.....)

Have to agree with tackle on this one, the Airsoft 6mm bbs are as good as you need, the sites determine the experience 

50m flat with a sorted gun is as good as the majority of people can shoot anyway.

we don't need to make them any more "real" it will just attract the wrong kind of attention from the general public and people that want "realistic" guns. 

Plus it's only a game, I've owned shaky guns and whilst fun, a realistic shooting experience they are not.

i like Airsoft because of its relative safety, I don't want muppets around me with simunition  dry firing in the safe zone with their last round still in the chamber etc with explosive launched projectiles winging around because unlike .30 bbs simunition hurts

if you want to play at this and add realism join the reserves then hope you don't get sent on active duty

17 hours ago, EDcase said:

Better is subjective, different is what I'm aiming for.  

5 hours ago, Druid799 said:

20 years is a heck of a long time for a sport to not change. As with most sports, the fundamental rules remain the same, but many aspects around it adapt to new technology. VAR for instance, or Hawk Eye.

4 hours ago, Tackle said:

"poxy phone comms apps", ouch. If you been looking at the Blue Fox Tracker, Battlemap or Battletac then I too would put them under the "poxy phone comms apps" category. No offence to their creators, since I know the developers of the latter two, but they look awful. Surely the bar of app design has been set higher than that.

I do believe that there have been no updates, significant or otherwise, to Battlemap or Battletac. 

3 hours ago, Prisce said:

I have a good way for Seth to fundraise to make his ambitions a reality.

Firstly buy 10000 sponges, and 1 brick(biological or not), volunteer yourself to be put in the stocks, and then see the many many many people rush to have a chance at throwing a brick at you, luck of the draw if you get the brick or a sponge!  

If your not willing to put yourself in that position, your obviously not serious enough about your passion and plans!

(one of those days.....)

How much am I charging per throw?

3 hours ago, osteoshot said:

Have to agree with tackle on this one, the Airsoft 6mm bbs are as good as you need, the sites determine the experience 

50m flat with a sorted gun is as good as the majority of people can shoot anyway.

we don't need to make them any more "real" it will just attract the wrong kind of attention from the general public and people that want "realistic" guns. 

Plus it's only a game, I've owned shaky guns and whilst fun, a realistic shooting experience they are not.

i like Airsoft because of its relative safety, I don't want muppets around me with simunition  dry firing in the safe zone with their last round still in the chamber etc with explosive launched projectiles winging around because unlike .30 bbs simunition hurts

if you want to play at this and add realism join the reserves then hope you don't get sent on active duty

50m is plenty, 6mm bb is good enough. The RIFs though... there are a few things I'd like to see.

Better cross-compatibility, meaning fewer proprietary parts.

A database of aftermarket parts and the RIFs that will they will fit.

I'm sure many of you could add a lot to such a wishlist.

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Seth_K said:

20 years is a heck of a long time for a sport to not change. As with most sports, the fundamental rules remain the same, but many aspects around it adapt to new technology. VAR for instance, or Hawk Eye.

lots of sports haven't fundamentally changed in the last 20 years, at most they've just used technology to market them better.

3 hours ago, Seth_K said:

A database of aftermarket parts and the RIFs that will they will fit.

I'm sure many of you could add a lot to such a wishlist.

A simple idea that would be amazing, but again highly unrealistic. 

Consumerism will get in the way! Too many manufacturers making multiple parts who will have no financial gain to even attempt to try to be involved.

A lot of your ideas WOULD make things easier but things have gone too far for any real serious changes like a lot of what your proposing. Your ideas for the most part are valid and worthy of discussion within a certain context but most of them are pipe dreams and your vagueness around your motive for asking questions  rubs people up the wrong way.

I don't see the harm in someone asking questions.  If you don't like em just don't read the thread...

Personally I'd be interested in a system that's cheaper and more reliable than gas for giving weapon recoil.

I'd also be interested in a reliable way to prevent cheating...

13 minutes ago, EDcase said:

I don't see the harm in someone asking questions.  If you don't like em just don't read the thread...

Personally I'd be interested in a system that's cheaper and more reliable than gas for giving weapon recoil.

I'd also be interested in a reliable way to prevent cheating...

It's partly my fault too, at least 49%.

1) How much Recoil? Would it be measured using Kinetic Energy? It might be easier to select an existing level of recoil (like a .22 or 5.56) as a benchmark.

Spoiler

The energy of a moving object is called kinetic energy, and is equal to one half of the object's mass times the square of its velocity: KE = 0.5 × m × v^2

2) Like an on-person sensor system? 

13 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

A simple idea that would be amazing, but again highly unrealistic. 

Consumerism will get in the way! Too many manufacturers making multiple parts who will have no financial gain to even attempt to try to be involved.

A lot of your ideas WOULD make things easier but things have gone too far for any real serious changes like a lot of what your proposing. Your ideas for the most part are valid and worthy of discussion within a certain context but most of them are pipe dreams and your vagueness around your motive for asking questions  rubs people up the wrong way.

A couple of retailers could do it, maybe? Eagle 6 is pretty good.

Thanks, I appreciate that. All plans are dreams, I'm going to keep pushing forward for now, see where it goes.

My motive: discussion.

The greater context: I'm making a site, the more views and opinions I hear/read the better aligned I am with the community.

Archived