New player buying first gun

squidpants
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys

I'm new to airsoft and am now thinking of getting my own gun. I have a budget of £200-£230. Was looking at the new G+G Raider-L 2.0E with ETU as at £152 would leave me some money for battery charger n possibly a spare mag.

Would this be a good buy or is there a better gun within my budget. 

TIA

• Supporters

Perfectly fine as your first gun. 

aviary-image-1558138239660.jpeg

• Supporters

Yup, G&Gs are well regarded at that price.

The other interesting contender we've been seeing recently at about that price is the Specna Arms Edge range.

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/Search?q=specna+arms+edge

Quick change spring, 6.03mm barrel, rotary hop, MOSFET and wired for Deans out of the box makes for a pretty strong argument.

You really need to think about what you are going to get for your second gun.

As soon as you get your first, you will be back on the internet drooling over a  £600 TM.

1 hour ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

You really need to think about what you are going to get for your second gun.

And second, and third, and fourth and, and, and - you should get the point by now!! 😂

Speak to most people on here and we all own more guns than we realistically need, doesn't stop any of us looking at and buying even more.

3 minutes ago, Philby21 said:

And second, and third, and fourth and, and, and - you should get the point by now!! 😂

Speak to most people on here and we all own more guns than we realistically need, doesn't stop any of us looking at and buying even more.

Your third gun is what you should really have bought as your first gun.

6 minutes ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

Your third gun is what you should really have bought as your first gun.

true ture 

Need a minimum of 3 long guns and a sidearm for outdoors.
One to use. One to replace it when it breaks. One to loan out. Sidearm for when everything else is fucked (batteries run out / air run out / gas runs out / charging handle breaks / wrong BBs etc)...
HTH 😄 

Morning all, I’m in a similar position, been sniffing around air guns here and there for years capping the odd rat. Looking to have a go at airsoft which is essentially just an excuse to buy another rifle to not use! 

Been looking at the Specna Edge rifles which seem like a great spec for the money, why would I not buy this for a first rifle:

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-rock-river-arms-sa-e05-edge-carbine?pv=9418

Really I wanted the g36 they do but the edge rifles look like a much better spec and it looks like there far more “stuff” for m4 rifles. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, timstephens11 said:

essentially just an excuse to buy another rifle to not use! 

You'll do well here. ;)

I've not had a Specna, but as above, they've put the right things in there, or at least say that they have.  The slight caveat to the quick change spring is that it does require gearbox removal, which means going in up the bottom (of the grip), but at least you don't have to open the box up.

The only thing to bear in mind is that you'll have to add lipos and a charger (Deans wired, huzzah), but that applies to most guns apart from the cheapest CYMAs.

Been looking about online and now decided on getting a specna arms as they seem a slightly better spec for the money

However I'm confused over which gun to get. There is a gun on sale at £129 https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-rock-river-arms-sa-e03-edge-carbine?pv=9480

And a similar one for £169 https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-rock-river-arms-sa-e07-edge-carbine?pv=9414 

This one has an upgraded mosfet and gearbox

Being a complete noob do I need to spend the xtra money and will I notice any difference. Or do I go for the cheaper gun and get battery charger n hi cap mags with the money saved

TIA

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

They're both Edge series to should be pretty much exactly the same internally, best thing I can suggest (unless the price is a real deciding factor for you) go for whichever you prefer the look of.

On 08/05/2019 at 11:55, Rogerborg said:

You'll do well here. ;)

I've not had a Specna, but as above, they've put the right things in there, or at least say that they have.  The slight caveat to the quick change spring is that it does require gearbox removal, which means going in up the bottom (of the grip), but at least you don't have to open the box up.

The only thing to bear in mind is that you'll have to add lipos and a charger (Deans wired, huzzah), but that applies to most guns apart from the cheapest CYMAs.

The sa-eo3 is a quick change spring you don,t take out the gearbox done from stock tube dead quick

1 minute ago, squidpants said:

I ordered the cheaper of the 2 as only difference I could see was the mosfat. So got the gun battery 2 hicap mags 9000 bbs and a charger for under £200 hopefully delivered tomorrow 

Pretty sure they're both running the same mosfet so you've basically bagged a bargain.

Be sure and let us know what it's like, really tempted to pick one up as a backup to my backup - but I think my wife would genuinely kill me if I bought another gun!!

You'll have to let me know how it handles & shoots squidpants, ordered an SA-E04 from Patrol Base myself, think the only difference is a shorter barrel on mine. Not getting home for another 2 weeks though so can't get me sweaty mitts on it till then.

They must be going out the door as when I was checking on my order status the black versions of the 03 and 04 were sold out, only had the black/tan versions left in stock.

• Supporters
On 15/05/2019 at 00:36, gasman said:

The sa-eo3 is a quick change spring you don,t take out the gearbox done from stock tube dead quick

Even better!  PatrolBase say "The ESA™ quick change spring system makes changing the main spring a couple of seconds once the gearbox is removed", but that might be copy-pasta from another toy gun.

#::Well had a great day no probs with the gun gd range and shoots well  only problem I did have was doing chrono check  forgot to put battery in  lmao 

I wanted the black but like u said all sold out but the tan looks gd  didn't use the mid caps that came with it as they only hold 125 but the 2 hicaps I got gave no problems. Just need to get a sling n some mag pouches no

IMG_20190519_093622.jpg

IMG_20190519_093641.jpg

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Even better!  PatrolBase say "The ESA™ quick change spring system makes changing the main spring a couple of seconds once the gearbox is removed", but that might be copy-pasta from another toy gun.

for the edge models it involves taking the buffer tube off (with the internal screw), nothing else.

Its like an inbetween from their SAEC system and the EC system.

1 hour ago, squidpants said:

Is it worth me getting another spring or will 310_315 fps be OK  if so what spring would I be better off getting

310 fps is perfectly fine. You won't see much of a gain in range by increasing the fps, heavier BBs will be more effective at increasing range.

That being said, an m100 spring is only around £6.50 from @ak2m4 that will put you up to 340-350 fps. Its up to you if you want to spend that, but its not necessary at all.

Archived