Is Gas better than c02?

kangaa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Are you asking if gas is better than co2?

Or, are you asking what's the best brand of gas or co2?

And did you mean to use your username as a thread title?

• Supporters

if you're referring to green gas i'd say yes, in my experience co2 is a one trick pony that works in winter. the amount of times i've seen folk with leaks for all manner of guns and 99% of the time it's co2 being the culprit.

now that's not to say that with proper maintenance it can't be reliable. but compared to the green gas "just always keep it filled" and it always works it's a bit of a pita.

i'd rather have a gun i can rely on to go bang when i need it.

• Supporters

This one time, at airsoft camp, a chap managed to extract a full CO2 cartridge which rocketed around the safe zone like an eye seeking missile (tale may have grown in the telling).

See also:

My mate did this and dented another's friends car :) . On point I've never come across a co2 mag as reliable or long lasting as a standard gas mag. And many are often unsalvageable.

General pros and cons:

Gas pro:

• Easy to fill and stay topped up
  • Added silicone for easy maintenance

Gas con:

• Weak in cold weather
  • More expensive (excluding propane)
  • Bulkier to carry around

Co2 pro:

• Better in cold
  • Much easier to carry around
  • Works out cheaper in bulk

Co2 con:

• Harder to fill and cannot top up without wasting the previous cartridge
  • More regular maintenance required
  • Much higher pressure can cause gun parts to break

Here's the thing: when a co2 gun actually works, it's the waaaaaaay better than gas. Like my G35 that I built which gets 130+ shots off a single co2 capsule and works damn well in the cold.

But, the problem is that there are not nearly enough good guns optimized for co2 out there, so it's not a good comparison. The only co2 worthy guns are some glock models and the asg cz75 series which I have not tried yet. Meanwhile, there is a plethora of green gas optimized guns like TM, KWA, KJW, etc.

Basically, running co2 requires a lot more know-how as compared to green gas, which is why it is generally recommended over co2. Plus, there are too many co2 guns that are badly made which makes it a bad comparison; a lemon we green gas mag probably works better than the average cheapo co2 mag.

Thanku all to your comments it seems gas is the way as more reliable

Myself and son are just starting up any pointers on what weapons would be gd to start with as i guess a rifle and pistol would be a gd combo thanks

• Supporters
2 hours ago, kangaa said:

Myself and son are just starting up any pointers on what weapons would be gd to start with as i guess a rifle and pistol would be a gd combo thanks

electric rifle is essential, gas pistol is optional (but they're cool so nobody's gonna judge you)

what specifically to get is a matter of choice, i'd get down to a shop and peruse what they have, see what you like the look/feel of, then come back here and ask for advice on a brand for that specific type of gun.

the cm16 platform is a common starter, and the m4 in general is a very easy gun to get parts and upgrades for, but if you absolutely must have an ak or a tavor or whatever then choose what you like.

8 hours ago, kangaa said:

You don't really need a pistol to start. (unless you go for DMR/sniper which is generally not advised)

As for rifles: have a look at what style you want  (M4, AK, assault, sub etc) and then research an electic (AEG) version.

If you want a pistol then its either green gas or Co2. (I use Co2 in 2 pistols and not had a problem yet) [The Crossmans I use do include lubricant and last a long time]

Don't get a gas rifle straight away.  Get a feel for the game and your play style first.

Archived