Airsoft guns in films and tv series

emilianoksa

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I read about this on another forum. One bloke posted a clip of an action scene with the wheel visible on the bottom of the M4 hicap magazine.😂

Ever since I have been looking out for airsoft guns. They are all over the place, and especially in things like TV zombie series. I have been able to identify many. That long barrelled Luger with a rear sight on the barrel you sometimes see advertised in airsoft shops has made an appearance, and I have seen what I believe are airsoft Desert Eagles and even Resident Evil Berettas in shows that have nothing to do with Resident Evil.  I imagine most of the MP5s, short and long barrelled M4s and AK74s are airsoft guns too.

It makes sense. Using real guns with blank ammo can be dangerous and requires a professional armourer and his assistants to be on site. It is an expensive business, particularly for a low budget series. Why bother when airsoft guns have become so realistic? The muzzle flashes can be put in by computers in the editing room. I have often noticed how pistols used in zombie films seem to recoil more like airsoft guns than the real thing ie. not much. The sound can be put in later.  

I now play the spot the airsoft gun when watching action scenes. I like to see if cartridge cases are flying out of ejection ports or not. That is often a good giveaway. I recently watched an episode of The Bodyguard where a HK36c was being used and immediately wondered if it was specially designed prop gun or a cheap Jing Gong. I mean how many people would be able to tell the difference?

Have any of you also noticed airsoft guns being used in a film?

• Supporters

in the bodyguard its already been pointed out some of the kit used, such as ear pro/comms were airsoft knock off brands, as opposed to real steel kit, which in the case of the bodyguard surprises me, its not like the beeb to be tight when it comes to spending license payers money 😉.

but yeah, seen loads of airsoft gats on telly, even in Hollywood stuff, makes sense for the financial reasons, but more so from a h&s perspective, blanks can do a lot of damage, ask john Eric hexham, or a mate I served with, tony Moore, two horror stories there.😢

Look familiar?

1542720463-1485865577-diego-luna-cassian.jpg

Here is another one. I assume they just got a load of JG's, glued things on them then gave them a really shit paint job.

45706ef72b0314f27873e2dd063b5cd0.png

Black Hawk Down

Green Zone

World War Z

Mission Impossible (the more recent films, not sure about the older ones)

Blood Diamond

Three Kings

The Mummy

The Pacific (tv series)

I know these use airsoft rifs, loads & loads of films use them.

It's a lot easier when filming to import/export airsoft than blank firers or the real deal.

Some countries like Morocco have very strict laws so deactivated airsoft rifs are often brought in.

They're also cheaper and safer if say for example;

to fill the holster of an extra who may just be milling around in the background looking busy doing nothing but filling a scene.

I know these films use them because my brothers and I own some rifs used in them... ;)

• Moderators

on another note, any one seen recent Strike back series, last episode, sure it was a baofeng radio on the table!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Line of Duty.

Perhaps she is left eye dominant. If you saw the series, this was when she hit a moving Range Rover at 200m...

You can't see in this picture, but the original in the Radio Times was so sharp you could read "Cal 6mm BB" on the side.

107005.jpg

• Supporters
On 29/04/2019 at 11:35, djben9 said:

on another note, any one seen recent Strike back series, last episode, sure it was a baofeng radio on the table!

S.W.A.T. On sky1 I do believe they’ve got baofeng’s on there rigs ! 😂

876FC10E-D56D-4CC2-BD9C-0A42DBB5A185.jpeg

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 15/06/2021 at 12:26, Rogerborg said:

I'm seeing them all over the place now.  You think they could at least spring for a few mid-caps.

There’s a pandemic going on matey - realism costs money !! (or the fact people are binge-watching and not paying full attention)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.