How many chances?

Adolf Hamster
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Tackle said:

surely marshals need to have experience of the game to effectively marshal, at the very least ?.

No they just need to know the rules of the game and what to look for. If they have no experience then mix them between playing and marshalling a bit so they learn but they are always primarily a marshal.

Not saying you can't get good marshals from players but you have to be very careful as a lot go god mode.

As I said an unfortunate side of airsoft is it attracts a lot of victims who put on camo and get a toy gun and think it covers their lack of manliness to the point they become Johnny Rambo, give them a high vis and watch that effect multiply tenfold.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

our "sport" attracts allsorts, of that there's no doubt, I've seen players armoured up like a juggernaut, but are reluctant to clear rooms for fear of getting hit (wtf that about ?), & I've seen a player in a mankini sprinting through a field of nettles to flank the opposition 😂.

by the same degree the reasons people Marshall are equally as varied, but I doubt that many choose to do it because it allows them "God" status, that's like saying only nonces 👴 are attracted to jobs involving kids.

on a side note, I dabbled with the idea of setting up a site, wrote a business plan the lot & had financial backing in place etc, just struggled to find a suitable location, & then life threw me a curveball that meant plans had to go on the backburner, but one of the things in my plan was a marshalling team, I had some bods in mind, most of which were non players, so essentially a blank canvas to work with, which would have included getting them playing & suitably enthused with the game, refering back to an earlier post I made, re "speak to me how you'd expect to be spoken to", its an adage that only honest players will get, give me fair unbiased play & I'll do the same for you.

for this reason there's at least 2 sites I'll never play again, & another (longmoor), that I wont play if a particular firm is running it.

I get your points though, its bad enough having to deal with cheats, never mind piss poor Marshalls that cant or won't address the issues.

ps. Back when I player marshaled, non hit takers usually behaved themselves after a polite chat, always after I'd subjected them to an "honesty" shot, only players I kicked off the playing field were often overly aggressive to the point of threatening behavior, again a firm chat in the safe zone, witnessed by the site owner usually sorted this, repeat offenders were banned, & only saw 2 cases of instant bans for hot guns, one was a silly cnut who sneaked a 650fps sniper on site & injured another player, the other was a whole team of walts, led by a mouthy Aussie bird, who always arrive late & tried to fiddle the chrono, with them we notified most of the southern sites to their antics.

As a marshal, how you speak to the accused players goes a long way to getting a positive response, & hopefully a change in their playing style, even those who know they're cheating often feel their "sportsmanship" is justifieable, even if it's just because they can't be arsed to trot back to a respawn, but a polite but firm word is often enough to shame/embarrass them in to playing properly.

Twice I've had to "go loud" during games, 2 older players on separate occasions threatening other players & getting in their faces, my response each time was "put your hands on him & I'll put my hands on you !", which to the wind out of their sails.

heres the kicker though, while this was 2 separate incidents, it turned out that the 2 instigators were actually father & son, & both serving police officers.

both were subsequently banned from all cage sites, & we later heard many other sites followed suite, some of the old hands may even remember them, the older dad sported an uncle Albert grey beard, & they both usually wore the weird European camo with splashes of red in it, Swiss alpenflage or maybe Belgian ?.

right pair of nuisances 😡

Going back to extraordinarily hot guns - Kick the player off site. If they do it again, ban them.
If they're over 1.3J and capable of full auto, ban them.
Because that makes it a section 5 firearm, afaik.
Which is illegal.
And utterly bloody stupid.
An argument could me made that the Police should be informed too, I suppose.

57 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

Going back to extraordinarily hot guns - Kick the player off site. If they do it again, ban them.
If they're over 1.3J and capable of full auto, ban them.
Because that makes it a section 5 firearm, afaik.
Which is illegal.
And utterly bloody stupid.
An argument could me made that the Police should be informed too, I suppose.

Agreed to an extent. Sites do have an obligation to do so but the chances of them doing it are slim to none. Personally speaking anyone that I've seen that has had a hot gun its usually sorted when they (chances are turning up at site is their first chance to chrono it, which is why 99% of sites have a visual thing to do to safe guns) and its not a malicious act.

If they knowingly cheat the chrono and take a hot gun into field with intent to use to hurt then that's a different subject.

Also for the sake of understanding. At the Gaol 'Player Marshals' aren't players who are marshaling. They are on the books marshals who aren't high vising. 

We have 25 marshals on our books and will have 5-6 paid high vis at every game and then any other marshal who wants to attend takes the 'player marshal' (Non Paid) role to make sure games are run smoothly and also watch out for issues.

It's worked well the last 5yrs and how ever many years they had their woodland.

We also enforce that all marshals must high vis twice in 3 months in order to stay a marshal. 

We banned 2 players recently. 1 for hit taking and 1 for being extremely verbally aggressive towards a player

3 hours ago, SgtTalbert said:

Also for the sake of understanding. At the Gaol 'Player Marshals' aren't players who are marshaling. They are on the books marshals who aren't high vising. 

Did not know there were undercover marshals there.

51 minutes ago, kasaran said:

Did not know there were undercover marshals there.

I wouldn't say we're undercover but yes, we have marshals on both teams

• Supporters
5 hours ago, SgtTalbert said:

?, so are they playing & only identifying themselves if it becomes necessary ?.

or standind around in camo, & I assume getting shot frequently ?

2 hours ago, Tackle said:

?, so are they playing & only identifying themselves if it becomes necessary ?.

or standind around in camo, & I assume getting shot frequently ?

No, player marshals are playing. The regular and semi-regulars can tell who the marshals are as we don't really change our kit up much. We are very open, we don't try to hide the fact. We're there to help players enjoy the game (objectives, best way to take the buildings etc....) as much as enforce the rules.

We carry a hiviz in our pouch should something happen that needs more than the 5-6 hiviz marshals etc...

3 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Hopefully be playing there soon so will have to say hello

Yes indeedy. Always good to meet a forum member. I think I've only met Clumpedge so far

1 minute ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Lucky you I have met loads and it was very disappointing.

Can't wait to disappoint you then

2 hours ago, SgtTalbert said:

So does that chat up line ever work???? 😂

41 minutes ago, Philby21 said:

So does that chat up line ever work???? 😂

It's normally followed closely by 'No one has to know' 

11 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Lucky you I have met loads and it was very disappointing.

11 hours ago, SgtTalbert said:

If it helps the Mrs constantly says how disappointing I am, not sure on the context though...

When I get the chance with a non hit taker I will always lite them up the closer the better doing the BB pain dance is the best remedy for a non hit taker

A certain ex member of this forum did not take his hits at Wycombe and three other players as well as myself all lite him up on full auto at reasonably close range and he had the cheek to complain to the marshal about over kill.

I must just be a grumpy old man at 65 LOL

On 01/05/2019 at 12:50, gasman said:

When I get the chance with a non hit taker I will always lite them up the closer the better doing the BB pain dance is the best remedy for a non hit taker

A certain ex member of this forum did not take his hits at Wycombe and three other players as well as myself all lite him up on full auto at reasonably close range and he had the cheek to complain to the marshal about over kill.

Well it WAS overkill to be fair. A word with the marshals was in order not 4 people full auto'ing from (what sounds like) close distance. 

I agree with keep shooting them until a hand goes up (semi though, not full auto) as sometimes adrenaline, gear, bushes mean the first one might not register but what you are talking about sounds like GBH!!

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

Well it WAS overkill to be fair. A word with the marshals was in order not 4 people full auto'ing from (what sounds like) close distance. 

I agree with keep shooting them until a hand goes up (semi though, not full auto) as sometimes adrenaline, gear, bushes mean the first one might not register but what you are talking about sounds like GBH!!

Agreed if I was a marshal and someone did that they would be going home.

If I was a player and didn't feel the first and someone did that they would be sat down.

I hear a lot of people talk about doing this sort of stuff but only ever come across it once and even though it wasn't done to me it took all my restraint not to slap the guy. 

Someone intentionally not calling a hit makes them a cheat. Someone intentionally full autoing to cause hurt to someone makes them a cunt.

On 01/05/2019 at 12:50, gasman said:

12 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

8 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Agreed if I was a marshal and someone did that they would be going home.

If I was a player and didn't feel the first and someone did that they would be sat down.

I hear a lot of people talk about doing this sort of stuff but only ever come across it once and even though it wasn't done to me it took all my restraint not to slap the guy. 

Someone intentionally not calling a hit makes them a cheat. Someone intentionally full autoing to cause hurt to someone makes them a cunt.

Taking the law into your own hands is a big no no. Got an issue? speak to a marshal. Not one near by, get a description and if multiple people saw it get them to complain as well.

People that do what you describe sit in the category as cheats in my book. Rules and requirements are clearly set out in the briefs at all sites, it's not for you to hand out justice based on your experience with a player no matter how much of a bellend they are being. I don't get where this self entitlement to hand out punishment in Airsoft comes from, I've seen various videos over the years of people that decide someone is a cheat and then go hell bent on getting revenge for not taking the hit. Its a game.

• Supporters
48 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

I don't get where this self entitlement to hand out punishment in Airsoft comes from, I've seen various videos over the years of people that decide someone is a cheat and then go hell bent on getting revenge for not taking the hit. Its a game.

As I have pointed out before the side effect of airsoft is it attracts some badly adjusted people. There are those that are normally meek but think they can act big when a bunch of people will always stop it escalating before they get a kicking.

Then there are the chavsofters who think that they are in a John Woo movie with their "gats" (just uttering that word should be an inst-ban)

But the worst are middle aged guys who get a sense of entitlement and think they have a right to set their own rules. Problem being that the arrogance armour of age defined self belief won't prevent them getting their arsed kicked in the real world so they act like nobs in the safe environment of an airsoft site.

4 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Then there are the chavsofters who think that they are in a John Woo movie with their "gats" (just uttering that word should be an inst-ban) that and the mention of clip

But the worst are middle aged guys who get a sense of entitlement and think they have a right to set their own rules. Problem being that the arrogance armour of age defined self belief won't prevent them getting their arsed kicked in the real world so they act like nobs in the safe environment of an airsoft site. Which is even worse if the age lower aged demographic vastley out numbers them

I've had to deal with my fair share of man babies.

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

But the worst are middle aged guys who get a sense of entitlement and think they have a right to set their own rules. Problem being that the arrogance armour of age defined self belief won't prevent them getting their arsed kicked in the real world so they act like nobs in the safe environment of an airsoft site.

I disagree, & not cos I'm middle-aged lol, I find the worse to be the twentysomething with his tacticool beard & absurd tattoo's who thinks he's a genuine "operator" on the playing field, won't take hits from anything smaller than a 5.56 when he's in full operator mode & believes he (& often his team) are the most superior players on the field & aren't afraid to talk about it (bit like every para I ever met😜).......& then go back to their day job at cex or other suitable nerdy retail establishment 😉

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, Tackle said:

I disagree, & not cos I'm middle-aged lol, I find the worse to be the twentysomething with his tacticool beard & absurd tattoo's who thinks he's a genuine "operator" on the playing field, won't take hits from anything smaller than a 5.56 when he's in full operator mode & believes he (& often his team) are the most superior players on the field & aren't afraid to talk about it (bit like every para I ever met😜).......& then go back to their day job at cex or other suitable nerdy retail establishment 😉

Nope almost every set to I have ever had involves that group. 

I am not a youngster either at 43 but I am honest enough to realise my own generation and above is the biggest issue.

33 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Demographics may vary from site to site but I agree with trigger, I've been a mashal for around 5 years now and the ones that always seem to think they are right, get loud and occasionally get confrontational are easily above 45+ (see what I did there @ImTriggerHappy ;) I also see a direct correlation between geographical location and age that attends a site.

Archived