The heavy weight BB shortage

DopeYourScope
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Been trying to get hold of 0.48 bbs for a game this weekend, there seems to be a mass shortage of heavy weight bbs.

It appears that everyone is out of stock, I remember hearing there is only one or a few factories which produce the heavy weights is there a factory issue? Anyone in the trade heard anything? 

I have ordered some Geoff’s however they’ve not turned up yet so I could be scrounging from a friend who’s bbs turned up this morning. 

1 hour ago, DopeYourScope said:

Been trying to get hold of 0.48 bbs for a game this weekend, there seems to be a mass shortage of heavy weight bbs.

It appears that everyone is out of stock, I remember hearing there is only one or a few factories which produce the heavy weights is there a factory issue? Anyone in the trade heard anything? 

I have ordered some Geoff’s however they’ve not turned up yet so I could be scrounging from a friend who’s bbs turned up this morning. 

Not sure where you ordered from, but these guys are very reliable and you can pay for next day delivery too:
https://outdoorandtactical.co.uk/product/geoffs-super-precision-bbs-0-48g-1000-white/
But you're right - .48s seem especially rare at the moment.
I wonder if it's something to do with our European cousins limiting BB weight? (I can't for the life of me remember where I read that, so apologise if I got it wrong).

• Supporters
2 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

I wonder if it's something to do with our European cousins limiting BB weight? (I can't for the life of me remember where I read that, so apologise if I got it wrong).

First I've heard.  Airsoft seems to have escaped the stifling embrace of Nanny Brussels to date, and I've never seen BB limits mentioned.

I wish there were limits, given that anything approaching 0.5g has to contain as much ceramic or metal as it does plastic.

• Supporters

rather than a manufacturing shortage, seems more likely that just a lot more players are experimenting with heavier weights, catching sellers on the hop (no pun intended), as everywhere you look there's threads about it ?.

I'm sure its nowt to worry about, if you wanna talk about shortages, the great KFC 🍗 shortage of 2018, that was scary, I still break out in a cold sweat thinking about it 😉 .

Funny KFC Pictures (13 Pics).jpg

• Supporters

Interesting point.  Also, as soon as someone says "shortage?", everyone panic buys responsibly stockpiles.

16 minutes ago, Samurai said:

Ah, thanks.  I'm reflexively in favour of education over imposition, but those (voluntary, advisory?) limits do come close to what I'd dictate if I were king of airsoft, and I applaud them for specifying it in Joules and using 0.3g for testing.  The CQB 0.9J limit is a little weak-tea though.

Amusing (or horrifying) to note that apparently they've long had a limit on BBs, but up until to last year it was 0.9g.  For reference, a 6mm steel BB masses about 0.86g!

• Supporters

And there was me ordering 5k .43's right before seeing this thread lol.

At least they're doing it right and stating the limits in joules. Although i suspect this will change from "that snipers running hot" to "that snipers using .5's".

18 hours ago, 1st commando said:

there is a knock on effect of Chinese new year too. Plus the cost of shipping such heavy and bulky items means they have to be sea freighted which takes 6 weeks 

Valid point mate. Around this time of year (especially Feb and March) there are a lot of public holidays in china which sometimes are a week long. There are a few later in the year also. I deal with China almost on a daily basis shipping materials to and from so I know all to well what knock on effects their holidays have on lead times! 👍

4 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

Valid point mate. Around this time of year (especially Feb and March) there are a lot of public holidays in china which sometimes are a week long. There are a few later in the year also. I deal with China almost on a daily basis shipping materials to and from so I know all to well what knock on effects their holidays have on lead times! 👍

Yep same here . I get to try and forecast around the multiple holidays Hong Kong has due to colonialism 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Mad Rag said:

these guys have.43 .60 and .90

Whaaaaa...?

Oh, those are 8mm.

[UPDATE]

Which by the wonders of cubed-volume means that a 0.9g 8mm BB is only as dense as a 0.38g 6mm one.

• Supporters
57 minutes ago, Mad Rag said:

frickin .90, must be like getting hit by a 7.62 ffs 😞

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

so the 5k of geoffs .43's i ordered arrived as .48's, so if there wasnt a shortage before there is now :P

Wanker 

Archived