'Nam guns

kasaran
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Decissions  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which US rifle to choose

• M16
    • Shop bought XM177E1 or E2
    • save about £100 on a 'near enough' version of an XM177

This thread comes up every now and then but.  after completing my russian loadout (pending lmg purchase and if ever an mp443 grach gets released), the next drain on my bank balance will likely be tiger stripe and associated gear.

so.  US loadout....  i already have an m14, though its the socom.  so not exactly period accurate.  therefore, as i dont want to buy another m14, my options are an M16,  with offerings from JG G&P and TM.   Ooooor the curve ball of an XM177e1/e2.   now this could be a bought right out for about £300 from G&P oooooorr i could buy a cheaper M4 from gunfire (eyes on https://gunfire.com/en/products/specna-arms-sa-b01-carbine-replica-1152200030.html)  buy the flash hider for about £20, replace the upper receiver to be a one peice carry handle for another £20 and maybe look at changing the forgrip to a thinner one and stock if i get particulary anal about it.    buuuut would the xm177 be a cop out being fairly close to modern rifles compared to the classic M16a1?

• Supporters

M16, that way at least it's not another m4 (or at least it wont get mistaken for one)

Plus bigger battery in the stock, and the a1 stock is just right, none of that remembering which hole is your preferred adjustment bs.

4 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

M16, that way at least it's not another m4 (or at least it wont get mistaken for one)

Plus bigger battery in the stock, and the a1 stock is just right, none of that remembering which hole is your preferred adjustment bs.

that is the concern.  plus https://gunfire.com/en/products/jg1601mg-carbine-replica-1152200651.html

not too bad looking?  especially for the price

17 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Cant say i'm a fan of polymer recievers on ar's.

It is cheap though.

Not found the metal one in stock anywhere

I have the G&P XM177 E2 (I also have 4 x Classic Army XM177 E2, all used in a few films). One thing apart from the flash hider that's different is the bullet deflector is absent from this model. Only 500 units were issued in Nam to the Commando's. Still it's iconic.

I sprayed my G&P (perhaps not to everyone's tastes), added a titan mosfet for 3 round burst and rebuilt the gearbox as it had some issues (it must have been a Friday after the pub build). It's solid, one of the most solid shells I've had with zero wobble anywhere at all. No rattles, nothing... all metal and lightweight.

I also wear Tiger Stripe on occasions and if you do buy it try and buy all of it (hat, shirt & trousers) at the same time from the same supplier/brand as there are soooooo many versions and for me a mismatch is unbearable. I ended up with an MFH set. I went for a bush hat. I'll also run with an AK on occasions too. For a popular camo it's actually hard to get a set in the UK IME.

Alice webbing is fairly cheap and I got mine off ebay.

IMG_2589.thumb.JPG.48bab968b143910820ffe76984be4b9b.JPG

IMG_2588.thumb.JPG.ba449d0bffaf67df873d87df6ff5e592.JPG

IMG_2209.thumb.JPG.517b4adc3dd6dbfea69b42f195801f9a.JPG

• Supporters
56 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Cant say i'm a fan of polymer recievers on ar's.

It is cheap though.

I’ve actually got the Golden Eagle M16A2 (it’s a Jing Gong just with a different name) and I’m well impressed with it , no creaking or flexing and if you’ve got gloves on I’d defy anyone to tell the difference from a metal one just by the feel of it ! AND it is a cracking price for a gun your more than likely not going to use that much ? 

Gunfire have both the plastic body and the metal A1’s in stock .

plastic ;

https://gunfire.com/en/products/jg1601mg-carbine-replica-1152200651.html

metal ;

https://gunfire.com/en/products/jg1601t-carbine-replica-1152199206.html

• Supporters

The M16 is iconic, instantly recognisable, although I'd want an M16 without the forward assist rather than an M16A1.

The Commando, meh, <Double-Eagle-M83.png>

Archived