Tentative Newbie

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

22 minutes ago, ultrarunnerlee said:

Cheers Musica for the crazy in depth reply. Pretty much answered everything  I think.  I'll have a look at some eye protection. The Dyi5 looks pretty cool though. Like something out of Halo lol I didn't even consider my teeth, it'll probably make them more straight if I did get shot 🙂 I might take you up on your tips of getting one. Ive done paintball and as you said, the full masks fog up and makes things much more difficult. Might go down the gogs and lower face mask. The I-Force goggs look pretty compact and pretty cheap for what they are..... I'll have a look into it all many thanks

The i-force are cheap and dual panel to help with temperate difference. I did have them fog on me pretty badly near the end of some games before I started using revision wipes on them between each game and now they are pretty serviceable but not perfect for sure. My biggest complaint for them is they scruff up really easily I have only wiped them with microfiber and revision wipes and while the "scratches" aren't visible while your have them on when inspecting them when I clean them I can see clearly they are marking up on the lenses. I think this is probably a issue for most goggles as just like phones with plastic screens. They don't crack or shatter om impact but they scratch up really easy. 

15 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Go for the Dye

I would say from what I have read online the dye masks are one of the best ways to avoid fogging up and people complaining of fogging on them usual cover up the vents on the top of the mask like the helmet picture below. I mean I agree it looks pretty cool with a helmet on it but there are vents on top for a reason. Also the material at the cheek is flexible so for cheek welds it's not as BAD as people say as it will flex around a bit but I still think you need tall irons or a raised optic. 

Check out this video for the cheek weld being talked about. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Haha. I wasn't going down the helmet route. Just thought I'd use a Maroon Beret instead 😉  Cool i'll look into the full face mask instead then 🙂 WHilst chatting about iron sights. Do most use some kind of magnified sight or anybody rocking just old school iron sights?

26 minutes ago, ultrarunnerlee said:

Haha. I wasn't going down the helmet route. Just thought I'd use a Maroon Beret instead 😉  Cool i'll look into the full face mask instead then 🙂 WHilst chatting about iron sights. Do most use some kind of magnified sight or anybody rocking just old school iron sights?

There is no point using a magnified optic in airsoft the bbs just don't go far enough to need it. I'd say most people run a red dot sight  or similar and have been told it makes a big difference in acquiring your sight picture quickly but haven't picked one up myself yet but I am getting one next month. 

• Supporters
On 21/04/2019 at 12:18, Musica said:

Often you will see Mr Militray next to a door yelling at everyone to push push push but never actually go through it himself

Well, he can't turn the tide of battle if he gets slotted himself, can he?

On 21/04/2019 at 13:39, ImTriggerHappy said:

Fucking gamesworkshoppers

Sometimes, late at night, when Mrs Borg is asleep, I browse cosplay sites for idea about putting together an Imperial Guard outfit.

Just dress however you like, you'll be fine.  You'll see everything from head-to-toe Crye, to joggers and sweatshirts. It's all good, it's not a fashion parade and the BBs really don't care either way.

Eye and face protection as above, I'd echo all of that.  The Dye if you want something that will work without any worries or messing around.   The Pyramex I-forces + OneTigris mask (rebrandings and knocks off are available) are a decent combination, although sadly I can fog up I-forces even with Revision wipes, so if you do go that way, I'd suggest buying a cheap set of mesh goggles as well that you can switch to in extremis.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, ultrarunnerlee said:

Ok cool.  Just looking at some videos of other peoples set ups and some on them you'd need a trolley to caryy it around in lol I think I have enough info to at least get some basic kit together and then it will be on to what Rifle etc in the not too distant future 🙂

Minimal is best as you don't need much to get through a game of airsoft. Lightweight so you're comfortable and it's easy to move quick. 

You see some guys looking like they are preppers heading for the hills. Backpacks, full med kits, tools and enough mags to last a dozen games. All totally unnecessary. 

I can carry half a dozen low caps/ or two mid caps and four pistol mags on a belt rig or basic tac vest. That is all I have a ever ran other than a small torch in my pocket. I prefer a vest because my comms kit wires through it but without that a belt everytime.

Regardless of what people will say Plate Carriers are just for looks as no one playing airsoft needs kit designed to carry bullet proof kevlar plates. 

As for clothes wear whats comfortable, I prefer hiking trousers with either a t-shirt or a black Hawaiian shirt. Can't bring myself to play dress up soldier. Just think how nuts someone would be seen to be if they dressed as a fireman and ran round pretending to put out fires. 

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Sometimes, late at night, when Mrs Borg is asleep, I browse cosplay sites for idea about putting together an Imperial Guard outfit.

If I ever get that GBB P90 I could be tempted to run a SG1 loadout. 

Cheers guys. Just ordered up some MTP trousers, UBACS top, gloves,  boonie hat and a relatively cheap Tactical vest. Stopping short of adding all the Union jack patches etc. Nearly went down the C95 route but it aint much cheaper than the newer MTP stuff. Still looking in to eye wear etc. What I might do is wait until the weekend and see what people have and have a chat about their set up and perhaps have a little closer look. Anybody ever played down Bloxworth before?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all just to say thanks for all your advice. i played my first game Sunday just gone and really enjoyed it. Everybody there was spot on and all went smoothly. I now near enough have all my kit except a rifle. I'm trying to keep prices down as much as I can and thinking about getting a G&G CM16 Raider to begin with and eventually get something a little better built etc. Onwards and upwards :-)

Can’t go wrong with a G&G combat machine as a first RIF. I am biased but I think they’re really good value for money. Fairly good out of the box for their price and quite reliable too.

The SPECNA ARMS Specna Arms offerings under £200 that come with a quick change spring, mosfet and wired to deans already are great for a beginner not needing tinkered with electrically or mechanically.

• Supporters

They do make a good argument, but they start at £150 for the "edge" models with those features.  That's only £30 more than a G&G Raider from https://www.swasairsoft.co.uk/g-g  but "I'm trying to keep prices down as much as I can".

That said, I do think I would spring the extra for the Specna, given what it's offering for the money.

It certainly all adds up when you start getting in to airsoft. That's how NIMH batteries creep in but do it right or do it twice.  To get more for your money than from the Specna Arms Edge series you need to spend over double I'd say so if people are happy with an M4 then it's hard to argue against. FPS is a bit lower than  the CM16 but they have spring change but I don't think it's true quick change might need to take gear box out. 

Guys. I've just been offered a ICS CXP 16 short. With 2 mags, Charger, battery, sling and a load of BBs for £200? Pretty much looks brand new. Would it be worth it?

Or an APS AUG Steyr which I prefer the look of. With 3 batteries, charger and 6 mags for £155....

Airsoft AUGs are typically a bit shit seeing as the trigger bar is a weak point. ICS is a decent brand. But I dunno if I would buy used for my first gun if I were you.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, ultrarunnerlee said:

Guys. I've just been offered a ICS CXP 16 short. With 2 mags, Charger, battery, sling and a load of BBs for £200? Pretty much looks brand new. Would it be worth it?

Or an APS AUG Steyr which I prefer the look of. With 3 batteries, charger and 6 mags for £155....

both sound ok, I'd look at feedback/post count etc of both sellers before going further, if either are low or negative then I'd say don't proceed, even the kind of post content someone posts up can indicate whether their a responsible seller or a know nothing chav trying to offload crap.

augs can be very good (def not shit, I owned one for a long time) & there's a member on here that's an absolute legend with them, repairs, mods etc, so don't discount them yet, especially one with 6 mags & ready to skirmish.

• Supporters

Fair enough, I've no experience with ICS but the split gearbox is a neat idea.

Seller's OK with you not having a defence yet?  Not something that you should bring up, it's their choice whether to sell or not.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, ultrarunnerlee said:

He saw me playing on Sunday

perfect, you've satisfied any concerns on whether your a genuine player, just another example of alternative forms of defence other than ukara 😁

Archived