Tentative Newbie

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all

I really do not wish to come across badly. Apologies if I do it is not my intentions. I am possibly looking at getting in to airsoft. Where I live I have quite a few choices of places to play. The only thing holding me back is that I am worried about Walts. Not in the sense of people dressing up in the kit and having a bit of fun. But whether there will be a high number of people who were on the balcony at the Iranian embassy etc  I am not by any means tarnishing everybody with the same brush by any stretch of the imagination. I presume a vast majority of people are there to have fun? I am an ex squaddie and also helped out with the ACF and left due to a number of Walts with all kinds of affiliations to the SAS etc. Just curious on peoples experiences and again to reiterate, this is not a dig at what you guys do. Thanks for your help

• Supporters

Unfortunately you get those type of people in every walk of life, I had a colleague who was very much the same, used to bullshit about everything. The best thing to do is call them out on it and embarrass them in front of the people they are trying to look big in front of. 

There is a funny story about how I did it, but that’s not what you’ve asked.

Youll find there are more people who are like you than there are Walt’s.

You’ll find you’ll make a lot of friends as well, but I will warn you, people will think because your ex-services you’ll be shit hot, it won’t be the case, your trained not to get shot, Airsoft is all about getting shot, the service guys we went up against last time I played were extremely tentative, so much so they hardly got involved.

I started out playing with an Ex-REME, and have accrued a couple of inservice battle buddies along the way, you’ll find people you like and you’ll “gather” together.

TL;DR version: Go out, see if you enjoy it, find like minded players, don’t worry about the wannabes, everyone knows how fecking ridiculous they look.

Haha. brilliant. Trust me i'll be keeping my mouth closed about what I done, not because i've done anything bad may I add but like you said, people will expect more from you. I've always been crap at paintball and I am guessing it will be similar🙂  Really appreciate you taking the time to post. It has put me at ease. I've just messaged the nearest place to me for some more details. I'll give it a whirl and then I hope the fun bit starts.....collecting some Gucci kit  🙂

• Supporters

I have met a fair who come out with all sorts of claims and nowadays just nod politely and walk away. 

I used to play private games (and hope to start again soon) with a group who are all ex forces and actual soldiers not just clerks and spanner monkeys. So I soon learned to spot the difference as those that did don't really talk about it, until they are pissed that is.

They all to a man refuse to attend a normal day unless it's a bday/stag do sort of thing and none ever wear camo.

Just ignore the idiots and find the balanced individuals, we are rare but easy to spot in the sea of multiglam and 2size too small ubacs.

Haha. I was thinking the same about camo lol. But I suppose rocking up in jeans and t shirt might not be appropriate. Still got my old Lowa's knocking about and I dont think i'll fit into anything else now 🙂 So might get some old C95 kit as its cheap as chips.....jobs a gooden. Might not sew on the SAS wings though 😉

Don't worry about camo, jeans and long-sleeved t-shirt will be fine wear your lowa's and some good eye pro and a pair of gloves. . If you have your old issued eye pro it will be fine. Then that's all the kit you need to start as you can hire a RIF for your first few games.

Being ex mil myself I have yet to come across any walts as yet but only been playing a year so still time. 

But just get out there and enjoy. 

26 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

I have met a fair who come out with all sorts of claims and nowadays just nod politely and 2alk away.

large.jpg

Yea there are people who are annoying not even just people making stories up but sometimes you will hit someone and they will walk up to you and decide to congratulate you on it like you just single handedly killed Osama Bin Laden. Get out the fucking way and shut up so I can keep playing my pretend war game.

In the safe zone you can just keep to yourself and in a game you can wander off from the wanks. Often you will see Mr Militray next to a door yelling at everyone to push push push but never actually go through it himself. The only people I really take advice from in game is a marshal if they tell you something they are usually spot on at my site.

Some people reading this might think there aren't any wanks at their airsoft games well theres always one so if you look around and can't find them..... well done you mustn't have any at your site nice one.

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Musica said:

Yea there are people who are annoying not even just people making stories up but sometimes you will hit someone and they will walk up to you and decide to congratulate you on it like you just single handedly killed Osama Bin Laden. Get out the fucking way and shut up so I can keep playing my pretend war game.

In the safe zone you can just keep to yourself and in a game you can wander off from the wanks. Often you will see Mr Militray next to a door yelling at everyone to push push push but never actually go through it himself. The only people I really take advice from in game is a marshal if they tell you something they are usually spot on at my site.

Some people reading this might think there aren't any wanks at their airsoft games well theres always one so if you look around and can't find them..... well done you mustn't have any at your site nice one.

I’m saying nothing.

• Supporters
50 minutes ago, Musica said:

The only people I really take advice from in game is a marshal if they tell you something they are usually spot on at my site.

Being a marshal doesn't mean they know what they are doing regarding play, good to listen but to advice but decide for yourself.

It’s not so much an issue of Walt’s as the over enthuastic with a lack of social skills and hygiene that can be off putting. They usually tend to clump together though so don’t worry too much 😂

• Supporters
3 hours ago, ultrarunnerlee said:

they went over the top at the Battle of the Somme 🙂

that shouldn't be a problem, its only me & @Druid799 that are old enough to have served there lol 😜.

don't worry about the walts, sure there's a few but as has been pointed out they soon fold under scrutiny, for me the bigger issue is the younger guys who've obviously never served but try to play as if its life or death, with all the aggression & mouthiness that goes with it.

while id gladly front them & read their fortune for them, its not conducive to a good day out, ending with a site ban.

so take everything with a pinch of salt & enjoy yourself.

• Supporters
37 minutes ago, Tackle said:

that shouldn't be a problem, its only me & @Druid799 that are old enough to have served there lol 😜.

don't worry about the walts, sure there's a few but as has been pointed out they soon fold under scrutiny, for me the bigger issue is the younger guys who've obviously never served but try to play as if its life or death, with all the aggression & mouthiness that goes with it.

while id gladly front them & read their fortune for them, its not conducive to a good day out, ending with a site ban.

so take everything with a pinch of salt & enjoy yourself.

Listen to this knob’er he’s spot on for once !😱

🤣🤣🤣

Thanks guys for your replies.

I have booked on to have a go on the 5th of May. I'll be hiring a rifle but thought I could get some kit together in the mean time until I've done enough visits to get a RIF. Will BA MTP trousers and a UBACS shirt, with Black Lowa's be a bit.....frowned upon?? IE will I look like a Walt hahaha.  (I thought you could rock up in jeans and a T shirt but it is a woodland area, i'll stick out surely.....Plus what is the norm for eye protection? Gogg's? Full face mask? Plus for a tactical vest is it best to grab a MOLLE and buy the bits i'll need? I promise not to write my blood group on it and stick British flags on my kit.  I'm guessing I'll eventually need 2 or 3 mags? Room for another battery depending on how long they last? Plus a pocket for a Mars bar of course:-) Generally any kit knowledge thrown my way would be more than appreciated. Thanks again.

5 minutes ago, ultrarunnerlee said:

Thanks guys for your replies.

I have booked on to have a go on the 5th of May. I'll be hiring a rifle but thought I could get some kit together in the mean time until I've done enough visits to get a RIF. Will BA MTP trousers and a UBACS shirt, with Black Lowa's be a bit.....frowned upon?? IE will I look like a Walt hahaha.  (I thought you could rock up in jeans and a T shirt but it is a woodland area, i'll stick out surely.....Plus what is the norm for eye protection? Gogg's? Full face mask? Plus for a tactical vest is it best to grab a MOLLE and buy the bits i'll need? I promise not to write my blood group on it and stick British flags on my kit.  I'm guessing I'll eventually need 2 or 3 mags? Room for another battery depending on how long they last? Plus a pocket for a Mars bar of course:-) Generally any kit knowledge thrown my way would be more than appreciated. Thanks again.

Wear what you want my site is indoors and there are more guys in full camo than not but you also get joggies and hoodies running about as well as jumberjack shirts and jeans.  

For PPE that will be your decision but you have a few levels of protection. Mesh is the lowest level of protection as bbs can shatter on the mesh and cause you at minimum great discomfort should you be lucky. The next level up is safety specs even if they wrap around the sides  a bb can and will find its way in side from a strange angle. The next level up is full seal glasses or goggles. No chance a bb gets in if worn correctly so as long as they are rated correctly for 520FPS or something like that then you will be safe with them on. The next level up is a paintball mask that covers your whole face which has advantages but people dislike them for a few reasons harder to get a sight picture for low down irons and they are associated with speedsofters which seems like a dirty word to most people. 

The reason most people take lower forms of eye protection is fogging the more ventilation you have i.e glasses get more air moving around them than full seal protection the less fogging you have to fight or in meshs case you can't fog mesh. 

If you don't go with a full face protection I advise looking for a lower mask to protect your teeth as people have had teeth shot out or cracked. This is the one I got https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CCB23ZB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  But wearing lower face protection does seem to make fogging worse as it seems to push the breath up to the glasses. 

I've seen some youtubers say it ruins their milsim immersion when they see people with lower face protection on. Fuck their immersion over my personal protection. 

I personally currently use pyramex i-force clear goggles and wipe them down with revision anti fog wipes before every game paired with a baseball hat and the lower face mask. But  all the straps fighting on my head is making me lean towards buying a dye i5 mask to just throw on all my protection with 1 strap and not worry. 

Cheers Musica for the crazy in depth reply. Pretty much answered everything  I think.  I'll have a look at some eye protection. The Dyi5 looks pretty cool though. Like something out of Halo lol I didn't even consider my teeth, it'll probably make them more straight if I did get shot 🙂 I might take you up on your tips of getting one. Ive done paintball and as you said, the full masks fog up and makes things much more difficult. Might go down the gogs and lower face mask. The I-Force goggs look pretty compact and pretty cheap for what they are..... I'll have a look into it all many thanks

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, ultrarunnerlee said:

Cheers Musica for the crazy in depth reply. Pretty much answered everything  I think.  I'll have a look at some eye protection. The Dyi5 looks pretty cool though. Like something out of Halo lol I didn't even consider my teeth, it'll probably make them more straight if I did get shot 🙂 I might take you up on your tips of getting one. Ive done paintball and as you said, the full masks fog up and makes things much more difficult. Might go down the gogs and lower face mask. The I-Force goggs look pretty compact and pretty cheap for what they are..... I'll have a look into it all many thanks

Go for the Dye

Archived