Ssg build

Oneshotonekill
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey people 

I'm after a ssg build gun. I don't want people telling me to do a different build or something, I purely want a ssg build so fellow tech people here are my parts that I have. 

Shs 12.1 gears 

Shs piston (Swiss cheese)

Light weight plastic piston head 

Shs cylinder head 

Plastic nozzle (for less weight)

Spring I have is whatever people suggest I have literally every spring lol. 

Shs tappet plate 

Black full cylinder 

Ball bearing spring guide 

Asg anti reversal latch 

Shs high torque motor 

Wired to dean's. 

Prowin 

Flat hop 

180mm barrel. 

Right so my issue is that I want to know what to short stroke lol. I'm fully aware you haft to short stroke the gun by the piston and the sector gear but I'm wondering how much to shave off to give me the best rps. I want the fastest rps. I've done a dsg and I didn't like it. So if you fellow techs can tell me what to shave off etc to give me the best rps ie like 30-40rps etc then that would be great. Cheers guys. 

Short stroking doesn’t really improve rof, well not by much. The main reason to SS is to bring the FPS down on high speed set ups. You’ll need a strong spring to return the piston before the gear comes back round to engage again. Then shave one tooth off at a time until you get your desired FPS. Also the full cylinder is pointless with a 180 barrel and even more so when you SS

22-25rps before you ran into issues.

The issue you would face first is gearbox over-run. No AB mosfet.

Once you get past that the next problem is tappet delay at about 30rps. Without significant modification to the sector gear simply shaving off the teeth will not correct tappet timing.

Then you run into gear inertia as you push higher. All the lightweight modifications remove the drag on the gears, allowing them to function like flywheels. In short you will fuck the motor and gears in short order, as you are asking the motor and more importantly the pinion and motor bearings to take loads they simply can't cope with.

It's not as simple as throwing parts at a gearbox to get over 30rps. There are other considerations, and you have to look at the whole system.

Personally, for 22+ rps I run 18:1 stock gears, 7.4v lipo's and a dirty 30-35K motor. You don't need to do any more than that. It'll run for years without an AB mosfet. 

Once you need and use AB the gearbox life diminishes, As you introduce braking stresses.

The sector gear will spin at the same RPM regardless of gearing for a given ROF. 22rps on 18:1 and 22 rps on 12:1 the sector is spinning at the same rate. The modifications to the gears just allow you to use different motors and springs. The difference at the motor is where you make gains. A slower motor with more power can be used on the lower ratio gear set. However, there are high rpm 30K+ high torque motors out there that are more than up to the challenge of M110 @30+rps at 18:1. 

Since you already have your gearset and motor chosen then you have already set the RPS. Asking how to get more RPS when the variables are set is a bit silly.

• Supporters

If you took a 13:1, SS 3 teeth, say m115~m120 spring, SHS HT motor, 16awg + deans etc.....

ROF - up to say 24rps on 7.4v 25c lipo if done very well

or near 37rps on 11.1v, those are rough figures you could obtain IF DONE PROPERLY

Before you go nutz and think great 11.1v it is.....

you would be advised to install a mosfet, even on 7.4v

and on 11.1v perhaps an AB mosfet as gun cycling much faster (aprox 55%, a smidge over 50% it normally works out)

The issue is the gun would cycle so much quicker on 11.1v you will get overspin on release of piston COL/trolley

and serious overspin is the gun talking to you in general - on a reg std gun this overspin is a strong message

if a std gun overspins a lot and starts to double fire - then expect sometime soon PE to take place (especially on auto)

Now on a SS setup the risk of PE is reduced - but not eliminated

Rough rule of thumb for Short Stroking - each tooth you remove off sector on PICK UP SIDE - not release side

each tooth reduces the spring or fps by about 16fps or each tooth removed drops the spring by about 5 on the m120

(so m120 x 3 teeth removed = m105 or 345fps, take off say a bit for shorter barrel gun, say 320fps is a rough guess)

My advice - build a fucking good 13:1, SS 2 or 3 tooth setup, SHS HT and run on 7.4v with low amps/watts

you could scrape by without a mosfet if you draw around 15 to 17amps or 120 watts on 7.4v for a while

Shoot shit in the twenties is plenty, improve your skill than try to get the gun to compensate for you

Personally - don't worry too much about lightening the piston - you only save about 10~15% or about 1.5 grams

a bit of fucking about for little saving - if your complete piston is about 20~22gms - that will do fine

Seriously - if you nudge 20rps to 25rps, that should do most people and last well if done correctly

anything crazy is just people showing off trying to over compensate for something

I say this coz many of us thought we MUST have a hose machine coz a hose machine is everything in airsoft (not)

edit - basically what @Iceni already said, don't mind me I off the chain briefly.....

Related image

• Supporters

I'm confused, you keep saying "fellow tech's", yet here you are picking everyone's brains, not a sign of a true tech ?.

I only ask as airsoft is littered with self proclaimed "techs", who mainly leave a plethora of fucked guns in their wake, usually other peoples 😉

Happy Cows and Pink Elephants.jpgp.s. Don't take it personally,not digging you out, more of a personal bugbear of mine, reinforced by too many tales fudgery & bs by so called techs.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Tackle said:

I'm confused, you keep saying "fellow tech's", yet here you are picking everyone's brains, not a sign of a true tech ?.

I only ask as airsoft is littered with self proclaimed "techs", who mainly leave a plethora of fucked guns in their wake, usually other peoples 😉

Happy Cows and Pink Elephants.jpgp.s. Don't take it personally,not digging you out, more of a personal bugbear of mine, reinforced by too many tales fudgery & bs by so called techs.

Exactly why I read it raised an eyebrow and moved on.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Exactly why I read it raised an eyebrow and moved on.

3 hours ago, E21A said:

Anyone else spotted the irony of the screen name of the the OP asking about high rof?? 😂

To be honest, as soon I read "I want the fastest rof ", I'm like.............

IMG_4308.JPG

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Oneshotonekill said:

Lol I'm not 🤣 I know what you guys mean. I've got it in my head what to do with the gun now cheers people. 

Come back, we want to play 😏

IMG_4309.JPG

Archived